Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Joel de Guzma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:53:40

Hi,

I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
I can do some electronics if needed.

TIA,
--Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Andy Foste » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:17:54

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
> off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
> that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
> I can do some electronics if needed.

If the disk has died, you *might* be able to resurrect it for ong enough to
extract the data if you chill it (in a sealed bag) in the freezer

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Alien Zor » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:53:32

Quote:> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
> off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
> that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
> I can do some electronics if needed.

We use 2.5" notebook hard drives in industrial computers that run
non-stop for 5 years or more so the failure of yours after just a week
of continuous operation must be just coincidental.

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Laurence Payn » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 20:51:42

Quote:>I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
>uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
>off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
>kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
>that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
>that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

>Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
>Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
>I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
>I can do some electronics if needed.

A disk shouldn't die merely through being on for a week.  Many systems
work their hardware MUCH harder than that!   Did you shut it down by
just "pulling the plug"?  That, unfortunately, may be the cause of
your problem.

I fully appreciate that this information isn't in the slightest
helpful.  Sorry :-(

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Joel de Guzma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:48:41

message

>> Hi,

>> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880)
>> that
>> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to
>> turn it
>> off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the
>> VS880
>> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found
>> out
>> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The
>> bad part is
>> that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all
>> my data.

>> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
>> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the
>> data?
>> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask
>> anyway.
>> I can do some electronics if needed.

> If the disk has died, you *might* be able to resurrect it
> for ong enough to extract the data if you chill it (in a
> sealed bag) in the freezer

That's a rather *COOL* idea. I'll go try it out.
Thanks!
--
Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Joel de Guzma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:52:08

Quote:>> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880)
>> that
>> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to
>> turn it
>> off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the
>> VS880
>> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found
>> out
>> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The
>> bad part is that when I rebooted, the HD went dead,
>> along with all my data.

>> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
>> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the
>> data?
>> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask
>> anyway.
>> I can do some electronics if needed.

> A disk shouldn't die merely through being on for a week.
> Many systems work their hardware MUCH harder than that!

Yes, I'm aware of that.

Quote:> Did you shut it down by just "pulling the plug"?  That,
> unfortunately, may be the cause of your problem.

No, of course not.

Quote:> I fully appreciate that this information isn't in the
> slightest helpful.  Sorry :-(

Well, thanks anyway.

--
Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Joel de Guzma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:59:48

>> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880)
>> that
>> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to
>> turn it off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in
>> the VS880
>> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found
>> out
>> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The
>> bad part is that when I rebooted, the HD went dead,
>> along with all my data.

>> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
>> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the
>> data?
>> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask
>> anyway.
>> I can do some electronics if needed.

> We use 2.5" notebook hard drives in industrial computers
> that run non-stop for 5 years or more so the failure of
> yours after just a week of continuous operation must be
> just coincidental.

Perhaps. However, typically, even if HDs in industrial computers
are *on* non-stop for years, the software accesses to the disk
happen only in bursts, not continuously. The HD has time to rest.
Not in this case, I guess.

--
Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by etarha » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:31:14

I agree with other replies. Even a notebook HDD should not die because of a
week's power-on time. This is probably a coincidence, barring the
possibility that you inadvertently exposed it to a big shock in your hurry
to shut it down.

It may be possible to revive it, depending on the actual problem. If the
control card is faulty, you may be able to find a replacement from the
junkbox of a computer service. This would mean good relations with one. If
the head-disk assembly is faulty, this is usually final. Of course, there
are a number of companies which salvage whatever is possible form a crashed
disk, but this may be painful financially.

Good luck,
Engin

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
> off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
> that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
> I can do some electronics if needed.

> TIA,
> --Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Markell Mos » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:19:58

Is the machine under its warranty period?  This type of thing shouldn't
happen and would be covered by MFR warranty if it's still active....

> I agree with other replies. Even a notebook HDD should not die because of
> week's power-on time. This is probably a coincidence, barring the
> possibility that you inadvertently exposed it to a big shock in your hurry
> to shut it down.

> It may be possible to revive it, depending on the actual problem. If the
> control card is faulty, you may be able to find a replacement from the
> junkbox of a computer service. This would mean good relations with one. If
> the head-disk assembly is faulty, this is usually final. Of course, there
> are a number of companies which salvage whatever is possible form a
crashed
> disk, but this may be painful financially.

> Good luck,
> Engin

> > Hi,

> > I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
> > uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
> > off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
> > kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
> > that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
> > that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

> > Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
> > Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
> > I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
> > I can do some electronics if needed.

> > TIA,
> > --Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Joel de Guzma » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:31:21

Quote:> Is the machine under its warranty period?  This type of
> thing shouldn't happen and would be covered by MFR
> warranty if it's still active....

No, not anymore. But really, it's the data I am concerned with,
not the hardware.

--
Joel de Guzman
joel at boost-consulting.com
http://www.boost-consulting.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Markell Mos » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:39:41

Quote:> No, not anymore. But really, it's the data I am concerned with,
> not the hardware.

Then definately try the freezer trick.  Be ready to extract the data as soon
as the drive comes out of the freezer... you want to do it frozen, not
fresh.  (yuk yuk yuk!)

Is that a coold boot or what?  (hee-haw!)

Seriously (if that's possible) the freezer trick works often.  Search for a
guide to bring you through it....

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by JB Seattl » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:00:49

Roland's hard drives are usually driven by ancient software routines, it is
really strange but then what isn't from Roland, just try reading the
manuals.
If you have USB2.0 or a friend that has it, you can get an external box to
mount the drive and see if a PC can see it.  You should also contact Roland
support and see if they can help you--they did help us with an allegedly
dead hard drive in a MC80.  You may even be able to send it to them and see
if they can recover the data for you.
JB

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a digital-audio hard disk recorder (Roland VS880) that
> uses an internal Laptop IDE hard drive. I once forgot to turn it
> off for a week! Unfortunately, the (dumb?) OS in the VS880
> kept on spinning the HD drive continuously. When I found out
> that I didn't turn it off, I huriedly shut it down. The bad part is
> that when I rebooted, the HD went dead, along with all my data.

> Has anyone encountered such a problem with Laptop HDs?
> Is there any chance to resurrect the HD or extract the data?
> I know this is a shot in the dark, but I wanted to ask anyway.
> I can do some electronics if needed.

> TIA,
> --Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by Joel de Guzma » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 06:08:05

Quote:> Roland's hard drives are usually driven by ancient
> software routines, it is really strange but then what
> isn't from Roland, just try reading the manuals.
> If you have USB2.0 or a friend that has it, you can get
> an external box to mount the drive and see if a PC can
> see it.  You should also contact Roland support and see
> if they can help you--they did help us with an allegedly
> dead hard drive in a MC80.  You may even be able to send
> it to them and see if they can recover the data for you.
> JB

This is the best advice, so far. I have USB2.0, but I'm not sure
how that will help. The VS880 does not have any USB. Anyway,
perhaps I could get a mounting kit to connect the 2.5 HDs into
my desktop PC and try to read the data. I heard somewhere that
the format is DOS compatible.

If all else fails, I'll freeze the drive ;-)

Thanks and Regards,
--
Joel

Laptop Hard Disk

Post by JB Seattl » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:23:03

The drives usually are a DOS but a real old one--there are mounting kits you
can get at computer outlets that let you mount practically any drive in it
and then connect via USB2.0.
But I would call Roland too.
JB

> > Roland's hard drives are usually driven by ancient
> > software routines, it is really strange but then what
> > isn't from Roland, just try reading the manuals.
> > If you have USB2.0 or a friend that has it, you can get
> > an external box to mount the drive and see if a PC can
> > see it.  You should also contact Roland support and see
> > if they can help you--they did help us with an allegedly
> > dead hard drive in a MC80.  You may even be able to send
> > it to them and see if they can recover the data for you.
> > JB

> This is the best advice, so far. I have USB2.0, but I'm not sure
> how that will help. The VS880 does not have any USB. Anyway,
> perhaps I could get a mounting kit to connect the 2.5 HDs into
> my desktop PC and try to read the data. I heard somewhere that
> the format is DOS compatible.

> If all else fails, I'll freeze the drive ;-)

> Thanks and Regards,
> --
> Joel

1. FORSALE - MIDI LAPTOP - HARD DISK RECODER - EPS - MIRAGE

FOR SALE

LAPTOP
The perfect laptop for midi users.  486/100 - 540 Hard drive - 20 megs
- Win95 - Color Monitor - Opcode (Music Quest) 32MQX midi card. -
Removable keyboard.
$600

Hard Disk Recorder
Digidesigns Session hard disk recorder.  Comes with Audiomedia III
sound card 4in/4out and Session software.  If you want a software
package that gives you the closest thing to being on a 8 track
recorder, this is it!  Unlike Cakewalk Pro and others, this has
real-time EQ and two effect sends.  All 8 tracks, pans, and EQ are
automated.
$600
$100(Converter box - digital to analog) *Will sale separate*

Ensoniq EPS
Sampler with memory upgrade and scsi drive.  LOTS of sample disks and
a box of around 100 blank disks.
$600

Ensoniq Mirage
8bit sampler.  With expansion cartridge and tons of disks.
$200

Contact me at:

**PLEASE RESPOND VIA EMAIL - I DONT READ THE NEWSGROUPS THAT OFTEN*

2. calender

3. Laptop as Hard Disk digital portastudio?

4. X-10 Relay

5. Hard Disk recording?

6. ADVERTISING INFO!!!!

7. FS: Darwin 8-track hard disk recorder

8. "inc" doesn't parse mail correctly

9. Hard disk drive setup in music PC???

10. Enhanced mixer for hard disk recording

11. Hard disk recording

12. New Hard Disk Recording system