Newbie: list out of MIDI instrument numbers

Newbie: list out of MIDI instrument numbers

Post by bruce phip » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:32:36

Dumb newbie question here....

My laptop (ThinkPad 600X) has a Crystal sound card.
I was using n-Track sequencing software and discovered that the
built-in metronome "click" could be replaced by MIDI drums from the
sound card.

The dialog box in n-Track has entries such as Bank: 11, Instrument: 43
etc. etc.

How can I find out what number corresponds to what instrument/sound on
the Crystal sound card?

Thanks
Bruce

Newbie: list out of MIDI instrument numbers

Post by JB Seattl » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:40:47

Search for a readme file for the soundcard on the PC that has a Midi
Implementation Chart on it---otherwise it is probably just the standard
General Midi instrument set.
JB

Quote:> Dumb newbie question here....

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:21:43

Quote:>Dumb newbie question here....

>My laptop (ThinkPad 600X) has a Crystal sound card.
>I was using n-Track sequencing software and discovered that the
>built-in metronome "click" could be replaced by MIDI drums from the
>sound card.

>The dialog box in n-Track has entries such as Bank: 11, Instrument: 43
>etc. etc.

>How can I find out what number corresponds to what instrument/sound on
>the Crystal sound card?

  All of the basic Crystal wavetable hardware synths are GM, AFAIK.
Just select GM (General MIDI) -- no banks, instrument numbers only
used.

  If OTOH it is using a software synth such as Microsoft's GS S/W
synth, you can get by with the GM settings.  I'm not sure exactly what
instrument sets that supports.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*

1. Soundblaster Midi Instrument Numbers

This may sound like a niave question..but here goes.......

I wish to compose midi file on my Atari ST that will later be played but
via web pages that I constuct on my PC. The problem is this......

I have a Roland D110 sound expander for the Atari and Cubase ver.2
sequencer and on my PC I have a soundblaster compatible sound card. How do
I ensure that the relavent midi channel and note numbers are compatible
between the two. E.g. I do not want to create a drum loop on the Atari
through the D110 to find that it does not match the sound card on my PC.
This goes for stings, bass and brass sounds as well. Any help would be
gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

2. saxon document() location

3. what are the cue number, cue list and cue path ?

4. Network Layout Advice

5. Changing patch numbers on large number of files

6. Thank goodness for FP!!!!

7. Cakewalk Instrument Lists and Patches

8. MSConfig

9. I need a list of Roland GS instruments - easy to read txt file

10. Instrument list for Cakewalk and a Sound Canvas 50

11. E-MU PLANET PHATT INSTRUMENT LISTS?

12. Newbie question re instrument definitions

13. 2 MIDI-OUTs on keyboard with only 1 MIDI-OUT??