Jeskola Buzz: Trying to use tracker effects (and other issues)

Jeskola Buzz: Trying to use tracker effects (and other issues)

Post by Marc Bro » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:06:28

I used to compose tracker "mod" songs about a decade ago.  Lately I've been
looking into today's PC-based compositional tools, and for now it looks
like it'll either be Cubase or Buzz.

I tried Buzz out several months ago.  It has one very nice, intuitive idea
(a machine window, with connect-the-dots generators and effects) and even
has a tracker-like sequencer interface, which is a heck of a lot more
flexible than any GUI could ever be.  But at the time, the program was
simply too buggy, and even some of the things that came with the
installation didn't work right.

Just a month ago, I finally got to sit down with Cubase SX.  The 100% GUI
interface lends the software a very professional feel, but I quickly began
to encounter some of the consequences.  Using a tracker program, if I
wanted to introduce something basic like a series of rapid decays, the
operation would take literally ten seconds.  In Cubase, I had to struggle
with its GUI-driven amplitude graph, and in the end, my poor approximation
of what I wanted had taken about ten minutes.  In fact, for the time being,
I'm going to have to abandon Cubase because the pure GUI interface is just
too limiting.

So I'm back to Buzz.  I can deal with the constant, constant crashing, by
saving my progress every 60 seconds.  But I am currently stuck.

Actually, there are a few things I don't understand:

1) Why is it that Buzz acknowledges my external MIDI keyboard when I use the
Polac VSTi, but ignores it when I use any other VSTi?  Obviously, the MIDI
is working fine.

2) Even in the case of the Polac VSTi, using the external MIDI keyboard does
not serve to enter notes into a pattern.  Only the PC keyboard works.  Why?

3) Here's the thing I'm currently stuck on.  Each VSTi has its own unique
list of available parameters as represented in the pattern editor.  Just
about none of them support tracker-like (or MIDI-like) effects such as
volume slide, vibrato, portamento etc.  This is no surprise.  But is there
a Buzz machine I can use to introduce these tracker effects?  Obviously it
would have to be positioned between the VST and Master on the machine window.
Or does Buzz have more direct support for this sort of functionality?

4) Is there any way AT ALL to get an oscilloscope for Buzz?  Even a totally
unrelated app that just monitors soundcard activity and generates the scope
would be great.  I mean, even Winamp has one without any plugins added.  It
is just no fun to watch the flashing LEDs or scrolling horizontal line
(which bugs out if you right-click anywhere on the sequence editor).
Cubase's oscilloscope ("Scopion") has a sucky framerate, but at least it's
there.

5) The "Overloader" in Buzz is supposed to do some things I had long
considered essential, such as add scrollbars to the machine window and
decrease the size of the machines themselves.  But, even though the latest
version of Overloader supposedly comes with the Buzz install, it doesn't
seem as though it is doing either of these.  How does one activate these
functions?

6) Is there a way to use a smaller font in the pattern editor?  Even at a
decently high resolution, the amount of text I can access in the pattern
editor without needing to constantly scroll left and right isn't all that
much.

If anyone has answers for any of these questions, I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks!

Jeskola Buzz: Trying to use tracker effects (and other issues)

Post by Paul War » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:16:05

Quote:> to encounter some of the consequences.  Using a tracker program, if I
> wanted to introduce something basic like a series of rapid decays, the
> operation would take literally ten seconds.  In Cubase, I had to struggle
> with its GUI-driven amplitude graph, and in the end, my poor approximation
> of what I wanted had taken about ten minutes.  In fact, for the time
being,
> I'm going to have to abandon Cubase because the pure GUI interface is just
> too limiting.

I never used a tracker, so maybe I'm missing the point, but are you
confusing volume and velocity, maybe?

To create volume ramps, all you need to do in Cubase is use the pencil tool
and draw over the velocity values in an editor window. Simple. Unless
velocity is set to control something other than note amplitude that would do
the job just fine. Far easier than messing with volume curves.

P.

Jeskola Buzz: Trying to use tracker effects (and other issues)

Post by Marc Bro » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:51:49

Somebody recently told me there was an effect I could use in Buzz which does
a good job of precision volume control a-la mod trackers.  I think he called
it "cheap amp" but there doesn't seem to be a "cheap amp" available from the
list.  All of the Buzz amps I tried turned out to be distortive amplitude
modulators, as opposed to something I could use to manually decay / increase
the volume or set it to specific values or cut it off and bring it back,
etc.

Jeskola Buzz: Trying to use tracker effects (and other issues)

Post by Veli-Pekka T?til » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:12:56

<heavily snipped>

Quote:> To create volume ramps, all you need to do in Cubase is use the pencil
> tool and draw over the velocity values in an editor window.

You could also try drawing some controller graphs. Just pick the controller
which is bind to decay time (either amp or filter envelope) of your synth.

--

Accessibility, VG music, synthesizers and programming:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila

Jeskola Buzz: Trying to use tracker effects (and other issues)

Post by Paul » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:49:15

I'll give it a go...

1) Polac VSTi is just the VST host. I.e. The actual VSTis run within
the Polac machine. There has recently been a NEW Polac VSTi machine
released. A major update and has many more MIDI features. Check it
out!

2) Is there a problem with using the PC keyboard in the pattern
editor? I think that's the whole point of it! :)

3)You choose the effect and the value for the effect in the pattern
editor. The effects Polac VSTi allows you to use are the effects the
VST instrument supports. Download the BIG buzz pack from Buzzmachines
and you will have LOADS of FX. Also run the stereo wrapper - this
makes all the FX accept setero input.

4)Of course!! Right-click on the white triange that joins machines and
choose 'Signal Analysis' to view individual signals between machines
(this only works for mono signals). Right-click on 'Master' and choose
'Signal Analysis on output' to view the output.
If you want other FX, there are machines for Buzz that do this or if
you want *Really* fancy get the Winamp Bridge to make Buzz output to
Winamp. Make sure you download the latest 'BIG' pack once again to
make sure you have everything and it's up to date.

5)I don't know about that... check out the overloader website or ask
on #Buzz [efnet]

6)I've never needed to change font size. TAB moves across nicely.

BuzzMachines.com is where you'll want to check out.
The Buzz Stability isn't too bad. I suppose it just depends on your
setup. There are various issues you might want to read up on.

Hope this helps you & good luck!

Paul C

> [...]

> Cubase's oscilloscope ("Scopion") has a sucky framerate, but at least it's
> there.

> 5) The "Overloader" in Buzz is supposed to do some things I had long
> considered essential, such as add scrollbars to the machine window and
> decrease the size of the machines themselves.  But, even though the latest
> version of Overloader supposedly comes with the Buzz install, it doesn't
> seem as though it is doing either of these.  How does one activate these
> functions?

> 6) Is there a way to use a smaller font in the pattern editor?  Even at a
> decently high resolution, the amount of text I can access in the pattern
> editor without needing to constantly scroll left and right isn't all that
> much.

> If anyone has answers for any of these questions, I'd appreciate the info.

1. Arrgh Im to used to trackers how do i break into midi?

OK currently im using Buzz tracker and impulse tracker along with cooledit2k
to prepare my samples and rebirth for some synthlines. Basically i have a
midi keyboard and a AWE32 and im looking to upgrade my soundcard so i can
get some midi that doesnt sound so cack. Currently im torn between the SB
live platinum coz of the livedrive and soundfont capabilities and the new
turtlebeach card as i have heard its great for midi. Which one should I go
for bearing in mind that my drums must be absolutely spot on. I was thinking
the live might have the edge in this coz i can load up my drum samples as a
soundfont then just retranscribe my tracked drum beats to midi and it should
sound identical to what it did in the tracker?

What do you think?

Stresskiller

2. Remote Control s/w over TCP/IP

3. MULTI-MIDI: Using MIDI-OX/Yoke issues - passing XGEDIT edits through Calkwalk

4. Subnetting Question

5. Using SBLive (or other software only) Effects for MIDI.

6. Printer driver

7. Using effects with Cakewalk

8. NFS over TCP, a good thing?

9. How do I remove buzz with Peak?

10. finale sybelius others for unix

11. Yamaha A4000 - v - others

12. Midi Format vs. Others

13. Help:xv3080(+SL161),trinity,proteus2000(+SL161),others