Real-time control of physical synthesis engine on soundcard?

Real-time control of physical synthesis engine on soundcard?

Post by Sumit Bas » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

A question to the wise - here's what I would like to do:

I want to use a MIDI controller as input into a PC and use it to
produce high-quality (preferably physically modeled + samples) output
*in real-time.*  In other words, I want to be able to hear the sound
as I play it.  In addition, it would be wonderful to have a nice
interface with which to manipulate the parameters of the synthesis...
Basically, I want my PC to act as a high-end synthesizer, with the
user-interface on the screen replacing the control panel...

Perhaps I'm asking for too much, but that's precisely what I want to
know :) Is there a soundcard/software combination I can do this with?
I had high hopes for the AWE64 Gold, but the MIDI horror stories I've
seen on this group from its users/(victims?) make me wary.

a humble novice,

Sumit
http://web.mit.edu/~sbasu

Real-time control of physical synthesis engine on soundcard?

Post by Tal Rhe » Fri, 19 Jun 1998 04:00:00

    Listen not to the nay-sayers.  The AWE64 is a good solid soundcard.
It may not be the best for some things, but you get what you pay for and
for what it does, it is excellent.  And, I have installed dozens of them
in totally different unrelated systems over the past 6 months, and have
_never_ had any problems with IRQ conflicts and setup etc.  It is one of
the easiest and slickest cards to setup that I know, compatible with
everything under the sun and has great sound.  anways, that's my two
cents. ;)

Post by Jean Francois Luca » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> A question to the wise - here's what I would like to do:

> I want to use a MIDI controller as input into a PC and use it to
> produce high-quality (preferably physically modeled + samples) output
> *in real-time.*  In other words, I want to be able to hear the sound
> as I play it.  In addition, it would be wonderful to have a nice
> interface with which to manipulate the parameters of the synthesis...
> Basically, I want my PC to act as a high-end synthesizer, with the
> user-interface on the screen replacing the control panel...

> Perhaps I'm asking for too much, but that's precisely what I want to
> know :) Is there a soundcard/software combination I can do this with?
> I had high hopes for the AWE64 Gold, but the MIDI horror stories I've
> seen on this group from its users/(victims?) make me wary.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe what you need is a software synthesizer (I mean a real one, not
a sample playback one, like VirtualSC).

I know two of them :
- AXS (shareware), DOS only, very good.  Only supports SB16 or GUS.
So AWE64 might be good in this case.
Check it out at :
  http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~gdehaan/index.html

- VAZ (freeware/shareware) : Win95 synths.  Not very good at realtime
playing (at least the freeware version I have).  Has a nice sequencer
though.
Available at :
   http://www.software-technology.com/

You pehaps can find some more at Sonic State and Harmony Central,
you can check them out also.
  http://www.sonicstate.com/
  http://www.harmony-central.com/

About the AWE64, I'll have the same reaction as many others.
It's a nice soundcard; it should be easy to set up and to use.
Don't expect high-end quality, best S/N ratio or real full-duplex.
But it should be a nice board for a small Home Studio.
As usual, you have what you pay for.
(note: I don't own one, I just have a original SB16).

Has anybody heard a price for a Yamaha SW-1000XG ???

JFrL_

The bag that breaks is the one with the eggs.

Post by Duncan Colvi » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Has anybody heard a price for a Yamaha SW-1000XG ???

>JFrL_
>--

>The bag that breaks is the one with the eggs.

300 was what I heard.  $ or ukp? sorry I forget ;-(.

Real-time control of physical synthesis engine on soundcard?

Post by Martin F » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>- VAZ (freeware/shareware) : Win95 synths.  Not very good at realtime
>playing (at least the freeware version I have).  Has a nice sequencer
>though.
>Available at :
>   http://www.software-technology.com/

I'd take exception to that comment ;) The current release of the VAZ Demo
(v1.5) supports DirectSound and can play over MIDI with a latency down to 20ms
or less. That isn't noticeable in practice.

Martin

  man(i)kin / 3 track demo now available on mp3

| Web: http://www.cp.umist.ac.uk/users/martin/   |
| See web site for:                              |
| VAZ: Vurtual Analogue Synth Emulator           |
| Demos on mp3: man(i)kin, Curious Yellow        |

Post by Xscap » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>>Has anybody heard a price for a Yamaha SW-1000XG ???

>>JFrL_
>>--

>>The bag that breaks is the one with the eggs.

>300 was what I heard.  $ or ukp? sorry I forget ;-(.

300 DOLLARS!!!!! Oh I, (we, all of us) wish! <g> I think you are looking at
350UKP or thereabouts. Should be released by October.

(Shuffles off shaking head and muttering "$300") 8-)

1. MC 303 (Groove Box) real time controls thru MIDI ?

Hi world !

I plan to buy a MC 303 (the groove box) form Roland, but I do not find
anybody that can say to me the following point :

Is it possible to record real time controls (like LFO, CUTOFF, RESO,
ENVELOPE etc...) with an external sequencer ?

It seems that it's not povided (this controls are not sent through the
MIDI OUT) but I can NOT beleive that there is no way to do this !!!! This
expender has been released to do techno music, and techno is nothing
without this controls !

With my poor JV 30 and PRO 24, I fond a way to overpass the same lake (but
it was hard to do). With Cubase and a MACINTOSH, I do not manage to obtain
the same effect (if someone know how to do this, tell me please !).

OK, I stop crying, and I'm waiting for your answers !

P.S. : I'm french, so excuse my english !!!

                                                33, rue Dautancourt
"When the way is rough,                         75017 PARIS
 Rough man go on his way."                      tel. : 46 27 94 02

2. FAQ?

3. real-time, two-way streaming of MIDI

4. Java App window in top left corner

5. Real-time Style Performer for Yamaha style files

6. virtual memory exhausted error

7. Slow down CD's in real-time!

8. template derivation

9. Real-time PC software to transform a mono analog signal into midi events ??

10. Jeff Pressing's Synthesizer Performance and Real-Time

11. Real-time accompaniment

12. Roland RA-50 Real-Time Arranger

13. Jam, Record, Playback & Edit in Real-Time over the Internet