Replacing Midi tracks

Post by Gar » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:52:27

I'm rather new at midi and am considering replacing my Yamaha
Portasound 225 with a Roland JV1010 module.  I was told by a salesman
at Sam Ash Music, "To get the best sound out of my midi files each
patch should be replaced in cakewalk 9.0 with the Roland patches".
How do I go about replacing them?   How involved is it to do this?
Doesn't the "better" module do this automatically, when it interprets
the files?  Is each individual track manually changed?  This sounds
very time consuming to me? I can use some guidance on this before
purchasing.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
                                                 Gary

Replacing Midi tracks

Post by Gerry Scott-Moor » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:46:34

> I'm rather new at midi and am considering replacing my Yamaha
> Portasound 225 with a Roland JV1010 module.

I thought a portasound was a tape recorder and the JV1010a synth.

Quote:> I was told by a salesman
> at Sam Ash Music, "To get the best sound out of my midi files each
> patch should be replaced in cakewalk 9.0 with the Roland patches".
> How do I go about replacing them?   How involved is it to do this?

From inconsequential to interminable.

Quote:> Doesn't the "better" module do this automatically, when it interprets
> the files?

It depends.  If you judiciously selected the patches you like best, say
patch #47 with a hip string pad, and coded that patch change right into
the sequence, then when you replace your synth there's every good
reason to think that #47 on the new synth won't be the same.

You'll have to find one you like and then modify the patch change in
the sequence to the new number.

Quote:> Is each individual track manually changed?

Does each individual track have your explicitly coded patch number?  If
not, then answer is no.

Quote:> This sounds
> very time consuming to me? I can use some guidance on this before
> purchasing.

Buying a better synth will give you better sounds.  Is that important.

Do you have hundreds of tunes with thousands of patch changes that
you'd need to modify? If so, and you don't play them that much, is not
that big a deal to change them when you load them up.

Quote:> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also if you've been using your previous synth with General Midi patch
numbers, then the new synth, if it has General Midi, will play
approximately the same sounds.

But by all means read all manuals.

--
///---

Replacing Midi tracks

Post by JB Seattl » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:01:50

If you have not purchased the 1010 yet, don't--it is only 16 part and try to
get a SC8820 or SD20 online somewhere and get not only 32 parts but 64
insertion effects.
Cakewalk support has lots of instrument definitions on their web site for
almost any Roland mod.  You download them and put the IDF i(usually one for
the instruments and one for the drum) in the Cakewalk folder.
Then you goto a blank track and click on any Banks field in any track--this
opens the Instruments menu.  Click on Define and then Import, find the IDF
file you just put in Cakewalk and Import it.  Then assign the IDF to each
port on the left window, not fogetting to make channel 10 for the Drum IDF
for your module.
Then when the Instrument window calls for a Bank Select, use the pull down
menu and select the IDF for your mod you just assigned and bingo, all the
instruments are there to choose.
JB

Quote:> I'm rather new at midi and am considering replacing my Yamaha
> Portasound 225 with a Roland JV1010 module.  I was told by a salesman
> at Sam Ash Music, "To get the best sound out of my midi files each
> patch should be replaced in cakewalk 9.0 with the Roland patches".
> How do I go about replacing them?   How involved is it to do this?
> Doesn't the "better" module do this automatically, when it interprets
> the files?  Is each individual track manually changed?  This sounds
> very time consuming to me? I can use some guidance on this before
> purchasing.
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>                                                  Gary

Replacing Midi tracks

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:31:02

Quote:>I'm rather new at midi and am considering replacing my Yamaha
>Portasound 225 with a Roland JV1010 module.  I was told by a salesman
>at Sam Ash Music, "To get the best sound out of my midi files each
>patch should be replaced in cakewalk 9.0 with the Roland patches".
>How do I go about replacing them?   How involved is it to do this?

  Using the instrument selector in Cakewalk, pick a new one for each
track.  It can be a lot of work, especially if you use other
controllers to change the sounds, as they are editable.

  The PSR 225 is a General MIDI synth, 128 instrument sounds.  The
JV1010 has a lot more than that.

Quote:>Doesn't the "better" module do this automatically, when it interprets
>the files?  Is each individual track manually changed?  This sounds
>very time consuming to me? I can use some guidance on this before
>purchasing.

  Nope, not unless it was already programmed for your synth.  The
JV1010 is an expandable synth, meaning that files need to be
customized for the particular expansion boards set in it.

  However, even GM standard files will play using the better sounds of
its basic 128 GM instruments.

  As a general rule, if you want the best results with MIDI files you
must remix them for the particular synth used.  For files off the net,
there are three basic sound standards:

  General MIDI:  This is pretty universal, as far as defining the 128
instruments.  But it doesn't link to any particular sort of sound, so
one maker's guitar or organ can sound very different from another.
Still, it is the only universal instrumentation standard.  Songs will
rarely be mixed ideally for your particular synth, but they are
usually good enough to work with.

  Roland GS standard:  The JV1010 isn't in the primary Roland GS
product line, but the GM sounds are the same sort, so files mixed for
that standard should sound ok on a JV module.

  Yamaha XG standard:  The PSR 225 is one of Yamaha's GM synths, so it
doesn't have the large instrument set and effects of the XG models.
But it should have Yamaha sounds, so files mixed for Yamaha XG models
may sound OK.

  The JV1010 is a *real* synth, though, with loads of options to
manipulate the sounds.  Likely, you'll use one of the editor programs
for it (it should come with one at least), and send that data to
Cakewalk, or use it to change the MIDI file, rather than choosing
instruments off a list of names.

  Note also that *all* of the expansion voices need to be selected
deliberatey, and you're unlikely to find loads of files on the net
configured for it.  Some, but not as many as the big standardized
synth lines.

--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*

Replacing Midi tracks

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:26:37

Quote:>If you have not purchased the 1010 yet, don't--it is only 16 part and try to
>get a SC8820 or SD20 online somewhere and get not only 32 parts but 64
>insertion effects.

  I was going to say that as well.  For moving from a GM synth
upwards, the SC8820 if you can find one (they've been discontinued,
something I consider an unwise move on Roland's part because they are
very popular and good) or the SD20 would give you a more convenient
device to use.  Double-plusses -- these two can be powered from USB as
well as connected by it, freeing up your MIDI port for other things,
such as continuing to use your Yamaha keyboard, sounds and all, along
with your new synth.

  Plus the editors for these are a bit easier to work with than the
1010.  Note that for all of these, you really want a PC online with
them in order to access the sounds, because the buttons on the module
itself are a bit hard to use.

  The JV series has some great sounds, but may be harder to use,
especially as a jump up from the PSR-225.  But for the money, either
of the two Sound Canvas series modules mentioned above offers more
power out of the box, less messing around to get results.

--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*

1. Can Ravewave replace your 4 track MTR ?

Of cource. Here's the Author's words.

"I had used one of TASCAM 4-Track before I develop
Ravewave. When I had finished one of Ravewave beta,
I doubted myself that this software replace my 4-track.
After testing by myself for several month, I was
very satisfied with the result. Though it didn't have
any mixing capability like channel equalization,
but it's enough by using native sound card mixing
capabilities and external mixer.
I tested Ravewave to make some demos.
To be honest, it has several disadvantages than using my MTR.
Ravewave has Pan and volume fader, but they are not good enough
(delayed and discrete). And Ravewave has no equlizations
and tone control.
But it has more serious advantages.
It's EIGHT-TRACK and CD-QUALITY DIGITAL.
(Although performances of my PC limits full use of 8 track,
it's worthless to compare with maximum 4 track ping-pong
recording)
Pan and volumes are enough when sound sources have
equalized and tuned already.
You may know how much cost to purchase analog-tape
8 Track, 8 track Disk recorder or 8 track ADAT.
I traded my 4-track with other gear several month ago.
I don't need 4-track MTR any more. "      - Author

   Ravewave Rootpage

2. Urgent ! how to create network noise ?

3. Converts MIDI Tracks on Audio Tracks with CakeWalk 9

4. CD writers and SCSI cards...

5. how change and create and replace the default midi bank [.dls] in windows xp

6. MTEXT editing

7. Need to Replace MX200 for W2K - Best for Midi?

8. Tech Support Database

9. Will USB replace MIDI?

10. Programs for generating backing tracks, grooves, drum tracks

11. 8 Track Sound Card...Sound Track 97 !!

12. ATTN: 8 Track Soundcard Sound Track 97 (ST97)

13. 8 TRACK SOUNDCARD SOUND TRACK 97 (ST97)