Help a newbie: M-Audio Firewire vs. SBAudigy 2 Plat EX

Help a newbie: M-Audio Firewire vs. SBAudigy 2 Plat EX

Post by Corey » Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:13:16

I hope I'm posting in the right group, but I'm looking for some
advice.

I want to get started using my PC to record my guitar and control my
Korg synth. I'm not looking for anything pro level, just want to keep
the budget down and keep the connections as simple as possible. If I
get more serious, then I'd be more willing to make a more serious
investment.

I'm looking for a product that has 2-3 analog line-in inputs for an
elec/acoustic guitar as well as midi. Just want to be able to record a
guitar and vocals, and control the midi stuff.

It seems that most "music" people are really anti-Soundblaster
products, and can understand that. But if I want to just mess around
with some friends and some different instruments, do I need anything
more than an Audigy 2 Platinum EX? Seems that it has everything I'd
need --analog ins, digital ins, midi control.
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2_platinum_ex/

and, here's an interesting article, which seems to say that it will do
what i'm looking for.
http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=55&cat=2

Last week at Sam Ash, I was shown the M-Audio Firewire 410, which also
had the midi and analog ins and outs I was looking for.
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/MAudio/PR/FireWire-41...

I have Cakewalk and Sonar, so I'm not in need of the software that
comes with the Audigy.

I'm just looking for advice, other products, or a reason to go one way
or the other.

Thanks

Help a newbie: M-Audio Firewire vs. SBAudigy 2 Plat EX

Post by JBSeattl » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:27:23

Check with www.edirol.com they have I/OUSB devices as well.  I have been
using the UA100 midi/audio USB interface from Edirol for over two years and
it is great--but they have upgraded since then.  Midiman is great stuff too.
Also MOTU has great stuff but on the pricey side.  I really can't see any
advantage of firewire over USB 2.0 and for rather simple recording, I find
just using USB 1.1 works just fine.
JB

Quote:> I hope I'm posting in the right group, but I'm looking for some
> advice.

> I want to get started using my PC to record my guitar and control my
> Korg synth. I'm not looking for anything pro level, just want to keep
> the budget down and keep the connections as simple as possible. If I
> get more serious, then I'd be more willing to make a more serious
> investment.

> I'm looking for a product that has 2-3 analog line-in inputs for an
> elec/acoustic guitar as well as midi. Just want to be able to record a
> guitar and vocals, and control the midi stuff.

> It seems that most "music" people are really anti-Soundblaster
> products, and can understand that. But if I want to just mess around
> with some friends and some different instruments, do I need anything
> more than an Audigy 2 Platinum EX? Seems that it has everything I'd
> need --analog ins, digital ins, midi control.
> http://www.soundblaster.com/products/audigy2_platinum_ex/

> and, here's an interesting article, which seems to say that it will do
> what i'm looking for.
> http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=55&cat=2

> Last week at Sam Ash, I was shown the M-Audio Firewire 410, which also
> had the midi and analog ins and outs I was looking for.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/MAudio/PR/FireWire-41...

Quote: