Recommendations on a simple USB-to-MIDI interface

Recommendations on a simple USB-to-MIDI interface

Post by Dr. Howard Fin » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:36:27

I'm in the market for a simple USB to MIDI interface, and have found
th the following available:

Yamaha UX16
Edirol/Roland UM-1
MAudio UNO

They all appear to be about the same, and all cost about $50.
Does anyone have any opinions on these?
Any recommendations which one to get or to avoid?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Recommendations on a simple USB-to-MIDI interface

Post by JBSeattl » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:16:36

They all work pretty much the same.  What is important is that the USB
Controllers on your PC are supported by the device.  You check you
controllers by Control Panel/System/Device Manager, right click on the USB
Controllers listed and look at Properties.
Not all USB is created equal.
Most of the time Intel and Ali controllers work, Via controllers and some
others can be problems.
JB

Quote:> I'm in the market for a simple USB to MIDI interface, and have found
> th the following available:

> Yamaha UX16
> Edirol/Roland UM-1
> MAudio UNO

> They all appear to be about the same, and all cost about $50.
> Does anyone have any opinions on these?
> Any recommendations which one to get or to avoid?

> Thanks in advance for the help!

Recommendations on a simple USB-to-MIDI interface

Post by the_mou » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:43:34

this isn't totally relevent, but I've heard that midi interfaces can
also run off joystick ports if you're desperate for USB slots - but I
spose you could always buy a USB hub to combat that.

"squeak"

Post by (Don423 » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:38:15

> I'm in the market for a simple USB to MIDI interface, and have found
> th the following available:

> Yamaha UX16
> Edirol/Roland UM-1
> MAudio UNO

> They all appear to be about the same, and all cost about $50.
> Does anyone have any opinions on these?
> Any recommendations which one to get or to avoid?

> Thanks in advance for the help!

I have the M-Audio Uno running XP Pro and the driver does not work - their tech support admits that there are problems and are still working on it - so if you want to use your midi now and you are running XP, you should not get this one :) Im looking at alternatives because I dont know how long its going to take them to fix their XP driver - their last attempt was 02-06-03 (a few weeks ago) and they still dont have it right. Im going to take a look at the other ones that you gave in your post.

Image: http://m-audio.rjmg.com/maudiostore/images/ACF9D63.gif

----------
Sent via SPRACI - http://www.spraci.net/ - Parties,Raves,Clubs,Festivals

Post by (Don423 » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:43:07

> > I'm in the market for a simple USB to MIDI interface, and have found
> > th the following available:

> > Yamaha UX16
> > Edirol/Roland UM-1
> > MAudio UNO

> > They all appear to be about the same, and all cost about $50.
> > Does anyone have any opinions on these?
> > Any recommendations which one to get or to avoid?

> > Thanks in advance for the help!

> I have the M-Audio Uno running XP Pro and the driver does not
> work - their tech support admits that there are problems and are  > still working on it - so if you want to use your midi now and you > are running XP, you should not get this one :) Im looking at      > alternatives because I dont know how long its going to take them  > to fix their XP driver - their last attempt was 02-06-03 (a few   > weeks ago) and they still dont have it right. Im going to take a  > look at the other ones that you gave in your post.

> Image: http://m-audio.rjmg.com/maudiostore/images/ACF9D63.gif

> ----------
> Sent via SPRACI - http://www.spraci.net/ - Parties,Raves,Clubs,Festivals

----------
Sent via SPRACI - http://www.spraci.net/ - Parties,Raves,Clubs,Festivals

Recommendations on a simple USB-to-MIDI interface

Post by Sean » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:57:50

Those are definitely simple interfaces, but considering
tier prices I would get something a little more versatile.
at around the same price you could get a MidiMan Mid Sport
2X2, it offers 2 in 2 out and can work as a through box as well.
I have one it works on all of my computers and my friends Mac,
I have 98se, ME, 2k and XP, it works flawlessly on all.
Its small less than an inch thick and about 2 1/2" by 2" powered by
the USB port.

> > I'm in the market for a simple USB to MIDI interface, and have found
> > th the following available:

> > Yamaha UX16
> > Edirol/Roland UM-1
> > MAudio UNO

> > They all appear to be about the same, and all cost about $50.
> > Does anyone have any opinions on these?
> > Any recommendations which one to get or to avoid?

> > Thanks in advance for the help!

> I have the M-Audio Uno running XP Pro and the driver does not work - their

tech support admits that there are problems and are still working on it - so
if you want to use your midi now and you are running XP, you should not get
this one :) Im looking at alternatives because I dont know how long its
going to take them to fix their XP driver - their last attempt was 02-06-03
(a few weeks ago) and they still dont have it right. Im going to take a look
at the other ones that you gave in your post.

Quote: