Midi Programming Question

Post by Mark Tyl » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:24:37

Hello,
I want to write a simple MIDI program that outputs the MIDI protocol
to the joystick port. I need to create a graphical user interface that
uses a stave to specify the notes, and a program that sends and
receives data to and from a MIDI instrument. I've had a look around
but there does not appear to be much documentation on this particular
subject, I've got Maximum MIDI by Paul Messick but the level is a wee
bit advanced for my current skill. I could really use a push in the
right direction and any assitance would much appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Midi Programming Question

Post by John C » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:17:56

Mark:
Maximum MIDI was the best that I could find when I was looking for something
to do similar programming.  My suggestion is that you look into the code
that he supplies in the book and try to cut out all the overhead to get down
to the basic calls to the midi routines.
Try this for some basic MIDI info (you need more than you might like):
Indiana University - Center for Electronic and Computer Music
 http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/
 CECM Studio Documents

You might also look into this one that I found in my notes:
 http://www.grame.fr/english/Recherche.html
  English Version
 Source for MidiShare:
 MidiShare, a musical operating system, prize-winner of the
 Apple trophy 89 and of the Paris-City 90 prize. Offering
 great performances, MidiShare considerably simplifies the
 development of complex real time musical applications and
 supports different hardware platforms. Moreover, it allows
 these applications to run simultaneously on the same computer
 and to collaborate by the way of a sophisticated
 inter-applications system of communication.
 MidiShare is a musical operating system for Macintosh,
 Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Atari and Linux. Result of many
 years of research and development undertaken by Computer
 Music Research Laboratory of Grame, MidiShare provides high
 level services to the field of computer music and MIDI
 applications.

Generally speaking, there is a lot available on the internet.
Good Luck,
  John

Quote:> Hello,
> I want to write a simple MIDI program that outputs the MIDI protocol
> to the joystick port. I need to create a graphical user interface that
> uses a stave to specify the notes, and a program that sends and
> receives data to and from a MIDI instrument. I've had a look around
> but there does not appear to be much documentation on this particular
> subject, I've got Maximum MIDI by Paul Messick but the level is a wee
> bit advanced for my current skill. I could really use a push in the
> right direction and any assitance would much appreciated.
> Thanks
> Mark

Midi Programming Question

Post by Robbie Baldoc » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 05:58:39

>I want to write a simple MIDI program that outputs the MIDI protocol
>to the joystick port. I need to create a graphical user interface that
>uses a stave to specify the notes, and a program that sends and
>receives data to and from a MIDI instrument.

Not sure if it's quite what you're looking for but the Java Sound API
enables you to write applications (including GUIs) to control MIDI
devices.  I've started mucking around with it and have been having
great fun.

The Java Sound API is part of Java 1.3 and more information about it
can be found at:

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/

Robbie

Robbie Baldock
r c b AT e a s y n e t DOT c o DOT u k (you know what to do!)
http://www.rcb.easynet.co.uk/

Midi Programming Question

Post by Jeff » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 06:28:12

I don't have the URL handy, but look for the MIDI tutorial work done
by Jeff Glatt--it's excellent.  I think he's somewhere on borg.com.

>Mark:
>Maximum MIDI was the best that I could find when I was looking for something
>to do similar programming.  My suggestion is that you look into the code
>that he supplies in the book and try to cut out all the overhead to get down
>to the basic calls to the midi routines.
>Try this for some basic MIDI info (you need more than you might like):
>Indiana University - Center for Electronic and Computer Music
> http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/
> CECM Studio Documents

>You might also look into this one that I found in my notes:
> http://www.grame.fr/english/Recherche.html
>  English Version
> Source for MidiShare:
> MidiShare, a musical operating system, prize-winner of the
> Apple trophy 89 and of the Paris-City 90 prize. Offering
> great performances, MidiShare considerably simplifies the
> development of complex real time musical applications and
> supports different hardware platforms. Moreover, it allows
> these applications to run simultaneously on the same computer
> and to collaborate by the way of a sophisticated
> inter-applications system of communication.
> MidiShare is a musical operating system for Macintosh,
> Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Atari and Linux. Result of many
> years of research and development undertaken by Computer
> Music Research Laboratory of Grame, MidiShare provides high
> level services to the field of computer music and MIDI
> applications.

>Generally speaking, there is a lot available on the internet.
>Good Luck,
>  John

>> Hello,
>> I want to write a simple MIDI program that outputs the MIDI protocol
>> to the joystick port. I need to create a graphical user interface that
>> uses a stave to specify the notes, and a program that sends and
>> receives data to and from a MIDI instrument. I've had a look around
>> but there does not appear to be much documentation on this particular
>> subject, I've got Maximum MIDI by Paul Messick but the level is a wee
>> bit advanced for my current skill. I could really use a push in the
>> right direction and any assitance would much appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Mark

1. Newbie MIDI Programming Question

Hi there

Trying to make interactive midi games on the web using java.  Would like to
just make a freestanding app first.

Is there anyone out there who can point me to MIDI I/O info or who can tell me
where I can find a generic driver for serial and usb ports that I can plug
into?

Are there any books or websites out there?

Would anyone visit a site that would have skill building games for free on it?
(Sightreading, eartraining?)

How about live interaction? (Jamming?)

I would be more than grateful for any advice rendered.

Thanks,

Lee
Be well, have fun,

Lee

2. Pulp Fiction Era Fonts

3. MIDI programming question

4. Lost my Associattion!!

5. Visual Basic MIDI programming question

6. Looking for Compro Best6000 Graphic Adapter Drivers for NT4

7. Stupid midi programming questions

8. NMEA monitor for PalmPilot : NMEA Mon

9. QUESTION...QUESTION...QUESTION...QUESTION...

10. Question: is there a program that doubles midi messages from a controller?

11. A question regarding composition / MIDI program by Voyetra...

12. Questions regarding sound-cards, Roland keyboard and a good midi-program...

13. MIDI files and tempo: Programming question.