Advice for home studio software!

Post by Markell Mos » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:51:10

It's been a while since I've been writing music...  I finally have my
ambition and a goal (10-15 years ago it would be my life's ambition!).  But
now I have to replace all the hardware I sold paying for my college
education.
The music I write is large orchestral score - something suitable for a movie
sountrack and the project is for a computer game soundtrack.  :)
I do no live work, no microphones.  All MIDI, though instead of a Roland
hardware synthesizerthis time, I was really thinking about software to let
me use VST instruments.  I'm green in this area, but it certainly appears I
can get some amazing sounds out of the computer I already own!

I have the demo software though I haven't played with it yet - what I really
need is INSTRUMENTS!  I have the Roland VST General MIDI Synthesizer but I
need something with really convincing orchestral sounds on a tight budget!

And along with the ~2GHz computer, should I bother with a special sound card
with ASIO(2) drivers?  I know it'd improve latency, but by how noticable a
difference?  And since I don't need a bunch of inputs, what ASIO2 card would
you recommend?  Something cheap, MIDI port would be nice (so I won't have to
go and get a USB MIDI adapter.)

Am I going in the right direction hardware/software-wise?

Advice for home studio software!

Post by Slim » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:01:16

The Edirol orchestral VST/DXi is pretty good. Check it out:
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/hq_orchestral.html
Hope this helps
Slim

Quote:> It's been a while since I've been writing music...  I finally have my