SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Mike Le Vo » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know the SYSEX to reset the SC-8850 to factory defaults?

You can press half a dozen buttons on the front panel but there must be
SYSEX to do this :-)

And no - it is not "GS RESET" nor the SC-88 "Set module to single module
mode" - neither of these have the desired effect ie reset all and set native
map back to SC-8850 (Map 4) mode.

Cheers,

Mike Le Voi

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by J. H. Brow » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You are reseting it exactly as is described on page 23 of the manual,
the way I've been doing it.  An alternative method is to hit the power
switch.  ^_^

Page 230 is where the summary should be with the other resets, but it's
not there.  I don't have time to mess with it now, but what if you use a
different number than 42h for the device id in a GS RESET, maybe it
would work.

I'm still going uphill on the learning curve.

J H Brown

> Does anyone know the SYSEX to reset the SC-8850 to factory defaults?

> You can press half a dozen buttons on the front panel but there must be
> SYSEX to do this :-)

> And no - it is not "GS RESET" nor the SC-88 "Set module to single module
> mode" - neither of these have the desired effect ie reset all and set native
> map back to SC-8850 (Map 4) mode.

> Cheers,

> Mike Le Voi

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by J. H. Brow » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I can't find a way to set that in the manual, though it ought to be
there.

Page 240 shows how to use Roland DT1 to set the map for an individual
part.  The GS4 editor uses this method.

Another way I found that's easier is to embed a RPN p 1536 in your midi
file, where p is the part in A.  If p=255 everything in A is reset.
1536 = 0600 hex.

Sorry, I don't see the answer.  Post it if you find one.

J H Brown

> Does anyone know the SYSEX to reset the SC-8850 to factory defaults?

> You can press half a dozen buttons on the front panel but there must be
> SYSEX to do this :-)

> And no - it is not "GS RESET" nor the SC-88 "Set module to single module
> mode" - neither of these have the desired effect ie reset all and set native
> map back to SC-8850 (Map 4) mode.

> Cheers,

> Mike Le Voi

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Mike Le Vo » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hey, thanks for the reply :)

I have SYSEX that will reset any/all parts to Map 4 mode but at one point,
after mucking about  for an hour or so, the beast would not respond to the
SYSEX - pressing buttons was the only thing that did what I wanted :-(

So, the hunt is still on ...

> I can't find a way to set that in the manual, though it ought to be
> there.

> Page 240 shows how to use Roland DT1 to set the map for an individual
> part.  The GS4 editor uses this method.

> Another way I found that's easier is to embed a RPN p 1536 in your midi
> file, where p is the part in A.  If p=255 everything in A is reset.
> 1536 = 0600 hex.

> Sorry, I don't see the answer.  Post it if you find one.

> J H Brown

> > Does anyone know the SYSEX to reset the SC-8850 to factory defaults?

> > You can press half a dozen buttons on the front panel but there must be
> > SYSEX to do this :-)

> > And no - it is not "GS RESET" nor the SC-88 "Set module to single module
> > mode" - neither of these have the desired effect ie reset all and set
native
> > map back to SC-8850 (Map 4) mode.

> > Cheers,

> > Mike Le Voi

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by JB/Seattl » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Mike,
 I asked the guys at PGMusic because they are selling the 8820 and they
said--duh????
I have a screaming search engine and it could not find any 8850 sysex reset
out there.
I was thinking of adding that mod but now--I don't know.
Typical Roland--great electronics and manuals written by the brain dead.
Have you seen their new Roland US web site--they must have contracted the
design to nuthouse--it really sucks.
JB

> Hey, thanks for the reply :)

> I have SYSEX that will reset any/all parts to Map 4 mode but at one point,
> after mucking about  for an hour or so, the beast would not respond to the
> SYSEX - pressing buttons was the only thing that did what I wanted :-(

> So, the hunt is still on ...

> > I can't find a way to set that in the manual, though it ought to be
> > there.

> > Page 240 shows how to use Roland DT1 to set the map for an individual
> > part.  The GS4 editor uses this method.

> > Another way I found that's easier is to embed a RPN p 1536 in your midi
> > file, where p is the part in A.  If p=255 everything in A is reset.
> > 1536 = 0600 hex.

> > Sorry, I don't see the answer.  Post it if you find one.

> > J H Brown

> > > Does anyone know the SYSEX to reset the SC-8850 to factory defaults?

> > > You can press half a dozen buttons on the front panel but there must
be
> > > SYSEX to do this :-)

> > > And no - it is not "GS RESET" nor the SC-88 "Set module to single
module
> > > mode" - neither of these have the desired effect ie reset all and set
> native
> > > map back to SC-8850 (Map 4) mode.

> > > Cheers,

> > > Mike Le Voi

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by J. H. Brow » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You kind of have to read the manual backwards.  A GSRESET sysex is still
the master reset, but you have to program several items in the SC8850
first to establish a default.  It makes sense in a weird general-purpose
way.

I'm left with the impression that a lot of the documentation was simply
left out.  For instance the manual says nothing about RPNs with a msb of
6.

J H Brown

> Mike,
>  I asked the guys at PGMusic because they are selling the 8820 and they
> said--duh????
> I have a screaming search engine and it could not find any 8850 sysex reset
> out there.
> I was thinking of adding that mod but now--I don't know.
> Typical Roland--great electronics and manuals written by the brain dead.
> Have you seen their new Roland US web site--they must have contracted the
> design to nuthouse--it really sucks.
> JB

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Alejandro Kálna » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Have you seen their new Roland US web site--they must have contracted the
> design to nuthouse--it really sucks.

I agree.  Plus they make you register if you want to check the docs for a
piece of gear.  I thought that was rather arrogant.  I'll check what the
competition has to offer rather than put up with that.

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Ed » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

on 7/27/00 4:58 PM:

> I can't find a way to set that in the manual, though it ought to be
> there.

> Page 240 shows how to use Roland DT1 to set the map for an individual
> part.  The GS4 editor uses this method.

> Another way I found that's easier is to embed a RPN p 1536 in your midi
> file, where p is the part in A.  If p=255 everything in A is reset.
> 1536 = 0600 hex.

> Sorry, I don't see the answer.  Post it if you find one.

> J H Brown

>> Does anyone know the SYSEX to reset the SC-8850 to factory defaults?

>> You can press half a dozen buttons on the front panel but there must be
>> SYSEX to do this :-)

>> And no - it is not "GS RESET" nor the SC-88 "Set module to single module
>> mode" - neither of these have the desired effect ie reset all and set native
>> map back to SC-8850 (Map 4) mode.

>> Cheers,

>> Mike Le Voi

This is probably not going to help but some time ago I was having much
difficulty with my old Roland GS-64 module where the system exclusive
messages seemed not to work or not work the way they were supposed to. It
may be that on the SC-8850, the solution might be similar. When initializing
by pressing buttons, I found that I was not initializing using All but some
other one to set up the module to a different set of parameters. I think it
was the CMA initialization I was unwittingly using. For what it's worth...

Ed

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by J. H. Brow » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

What hex did you use to do that, even if it isn't entirely reliable?

> Hey, thanks for the reply :)

> I have SYSEX that will reset any/all parts to Map 4 mode but at one point,
> after mucking about  for an hour or so, the beast would not respond to the
> SYSEX - pressing buttons was the only thing that did what I wanted :-(

> So, the hunt is still on ...

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by J. H. Brow » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Do you have anything newer than a GS-64?  What exactly (in hex)do you
use to
1) reset, if not a GS reset.
2) How do you program a global map change?

> This is probably not going to help but some time ago I was having much
> difficulty with my old Roland GS-64 module where the system exclusive
> messages seemed not to work or not work the way they were supposed to. It
> may be that on the SC-8850, the solution might be similar. When initializing
> by pressing buttons, I found that I was not initializing using All but some
> other one to set up the module to a different set of parameters. I think it
> was the CMA initialization I was unwittingly using. For what it's worth...

> Ed

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Mike Le Vo » Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I am going to post the latest FREEWARE version of XG/GS RESET on my web page
in a few days - it contains all known SYSEX reset effects :-)

Hang in there ...

http://modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi

> What hex did you use to do that, even if it isn't entirely reliable?

> > Hey, thanks for the reply :)

> > I have SYSEX that will reset any/all parts to Map 4 mode but at one
point,
> > after mucking about  for an hour or so, the beast would not respond to
the
> > SYSEX - pressing buttons was the only thing that did what I wanted :-(

> > So, the hunt is still on ...

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Ed » Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:00:00

on 7/29/00 11:00 PM:

> Do you have anything newer than a GS-64?  What exactly (in hex)do you
> use to
> 1) reset, if not a GS reset.
> 2) How do you program a global map change?

>> This is probably not going to help but some time ago I was having much
>> difficulty with my old Roland GS-64 module where the system exclusive
>> messages seemed not to work or not work the way they were supposed to. It
>> may be that on the SC-8850, the solution might be similar. When initializing
>> by pressing buttons, I found that I was not initializing using All but some
>> other one to set up the module to a different set of parameters. I think it
>> was the CMA initialization I was unwittingly using. For what it's worth...

>> Ed

No, that's the module I'm still working with. But what I'm saying is that
the module would not respond correctly to the GM and GS resets until I did
the "All" initilization.

But you ask about the map changes and here, I will have to look it all up
and get back to you. The CMA init has to do with setting the module to the
same arrangement of sounds as the Roland CM-64 (multitimbral) module and the
CMB to the same module mode 2. I don't think there is a hex for that but I
have been able to reset map 2 back to 1 (the ordinary module maps.) by midi
messages and vice versa. I don't remember how I did it but this is sometimes
useful to know and I'll look it up.

I'm a hex neophyte but have learned a few settings.

Ed

Ed

SC-8850 Reset Sequence

Post by Peter Pun » Tue, 01 Aug 2000 04:00:00

This is what I use for a general XG-reset.
It works almost any time I use it (except for when my soundcard is locked up
again)

Quote:> I am going to post the latest FREEWARE version of XG/GS RESET on my web
page
> in a few days - it contains all known SYSEX reset effects :-)

> > What hex did you use to do that, even if it isn't entirely reliable?

> > > Hey, thanks for the reply :)

> > > I have SYSEX that will reset any/all parts to Map 4 mode but at one
> > > point, after mucking about  for an hour or so, the beast would not
respond to
> > > the SYSEX - pressing buttons was the only thing that did what I wanted
:-(

--
        Peter Punk
          \    /

Visit my MIDI-site at http://members.xoom.com/miditation/index.html
(The hidden link on my page is now unhidden.)

Friction is a drag.

begin 666 Xgsetup.mid

`
end

1. Roland SC-8820, SK-500, SC-8850, and SCD-70

Can you help with any of these Roland questions?

1.      With the SC-8820, can the sound be directed back into the computer via
USB so that music can be stored on the hard drive and then written to a CD?
Or, does output from the Roland headphone jack need to be fed to the line-in
on the computer?
2.      Is there anything the SC-8820 can do that the SK-500 cannot?
3.      What is the biggest advantage to the SC-8850 over the SC-8820?
4.      How does the SCD-70 compare to the SC-8820 and SC-8850?  Other than its
greater number of input and output devices, does it offer any advantages?
5.      Edirol offers the SK88 PRO for about $400.  Is the SK-500 better for any
reason other than it offers USB connection?  Does the SK-88 PRO offer
advantages over the SK-500?
6.      Does Roland or Edirol make available users manuals for these products
on-line?  I couldnt find information about them except in Edirols product
description.

Thanks.

Bob

2. BDM Position Open In Bangalore

3. Roland SC-8850 vs. SC-8820 vs. XV-5080 vs. XV-3080 vs. XV-88?

4. spline interpolation

5. Roland Sc-8850, SC-8820

6. mulitple boot

7. Roland SC-8850 question

8. Four more states join the micro$oft antitrust probe!!!

9. Roland sc-8850

10. Comments on Roland SC-8850?

11. Reviews of SC-8850?

12. Roland UA-100 and SC-8850 - experience?

13. SC 8850 input and output