Portable Midi Device Like a Walkman?

Post by Thunde » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:58:56

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  A portable device that
has a little synthesizer and you wear it like a Walkman CD Player.
I'm thinking of an ear training application that you could carry with
you.  Portable PC's come to mind, but I'd like to be able to build
something really inexpensive like this:

main menory for small OS and application code
ram for processing
cpu
midi synth
earphone output
input buttons
LCD Display
all in a portable case you can put on your belt

Portable Midi Device Like a Walkman?

Post by Anonymou » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:20:36

I like the concept of using a portable midi "SynthMan" for ear training.  If
there is such a device, I'd like to know aqbout it.  If not, and you will
pursue getting one made, I can think of some possible applications.  --Steve

Quote:> Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  A portable device that
> has a little synthesizer and you wear it like a Walkman CD Player.
> I'm thinking of an ear training application that you could carry with
> you.  Portable PC's come to mind, but I'd like to be able to build
> something really inexpensive like this:

> main menory for small OS and application code
> ram for processing
> cpu
> midi synth
> earphone output
> input buttons
> LCD Display
> all in a portable case you can put on your belt

Portable Midi Device Like a Walkman?

Post by jerry dio » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:06:50

yamaha used to have a small synth module for portability . check out the qy
10.

Quote:> Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  A portable device that
> has a little synthesizer and you wear it like a Walkman CD Player.
> I'm thinking of an ear training application that you could carry with
> you.  Portable PC's come to mind, but I'd like to be able to build
> something really inexpensive like this:

> main menory for small OS and application code
> ram for processing
> cpu
> midi synth
> earphone output
> input buttons
> LCD Display
> all in a portable case you can put on your belt

Portable Midi Device Like a Walkman?

Post by dickydo » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:10:53

I think the qy10 only plays files created using its own internal patterns,
and you can't import files into it.

> yamaha used to have a small synth module for portability . check out the
qy
> 10.

> > Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  A portable device that
> > has a little synthesizer and you wear it like a Walkman CD Player.
> > I'm thinking of an ear training application that you could carry with
> > you.  Portable PC's come to mind, but I'd like to be able to build
> > something really inexpensive like this:

> > main menory for small OS and application code
> > ram for processing
> > cpu
> > midi synth
> > earphone output
> > input buttons
> > LCD Display
> > all in a portable case you can put on your belt

Portable Midi Device Like a Walkman?

Post by Mike » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:02:05

Quote:> I think the qy10 only plays files created using its own internal patterns,
> and you can't import files into it.

... and it's audio quality sucks compared with today's technology.
I used to own one, but sold it.

You want a Pocket PC with software, such as Griff, MidNote,
Pocket Piano Pro, Pocket Synth or a similar app.
That'll do the job.

Regards
Mikael Hillborg
MHC Synthesizers and Effects
http://www.mhc.se/software/plugins/

Post by Torben Ansch » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 04:06:53

Quote:>> I think the qy10 only plays files created using its own internal patterns,
>> and you can't import files into it.

>... and it's audio quality sucks compared with today's technology.
>I used to own one, but sold it.

There were many follow-ups to the QY-10, especially the more expensive class
QY70 and QY 100. They are XG-compatible, have good sounds, can use memory
cards, i think they have everything you need.

Torben

Moege der Inhalt wichtiger sein als die Form

Post by Oogle » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:00:32

Quote:>>> I think the qy10 only plays files created using its own internal
>>> patterns, and you can't import files into it.

>>... and it's audio quality sucks compared with today's technology.
>>I used to own one, but sold it.

> There were many follow-ups to the QY-10, especially the more expensive
> class QY70 and QY 100. They are XG-compatible, have good sounds, can
> use memory cards, i think they have everything you need.

> Torben

> Moege der Inhalt wichtiger sein als die Form

I typed "midi player" on eBay and some of them are interesting. Some even
use 3.5" diskette