Koan Pro support for non GM devices

Post by simon vand » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Is there anyone that can tell me how Koan Pro 2 supports non GM midi
devices. It seems to be tightly linked to the AWE32 card but I would
like to use it with a Turtle Beach Tropez + or a Korg Wavestation.
Can you dissable the GM sysex commands?
Can it modulate the sound source using user specified continuous
controller messages? Is there anyone with experiece of using Koan Pro
with anything but an AWE32

Thanks

Post by Richard Garre » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Is there anyone that can tell me how Koan Pro 2 supports non GM midi
>devices. It seems to be tightly linked to the AWE32 card but I would
>like to use it with a Turtle Beach Tropez + or a Korg Wavestation.
>Can you dissable the GM sysex commands?
>Can it modulate the sound source using user specified continuous
>controller messages? Is there anyone with experiece of using Koan Pro
>with anything but an AWE32

>Thanks

hello simon,

I'm using KPro2 with tropez plus and external gear (not a
wavestation), so perhaps I can be of help.

As to the Tropez Plus:

I use this mostly as GM "sketchpad" when I can't be bothered to turn
the other gear on, and in this role it works fine. In fact, the koan
stuff on my website (http://www.stonygap.demon.co.uk) was written on a
such a card.

The AWE stuff is, as I understand it, mostly for controlling filters
and amps on the card much as one would on a S+S synth module and for
playing SoundFonts, but I just ignore these functions and still have
lots to play with.

NOTE: I realise that there will be lots of AWE fans out there, some of
whom will tell you that KP2 is useless without their choice of card,
but I know nothing about such things and *still* find this program
very useful. :-)

Quote:>Can you dissable the GM sysex commands?

Not as I understand it, but the only thing I've found to create any
conflicts is "bank switching" as some external gear doesn't use the
same codes as GM. To get round this, I just turn off the "Program
Change Receive" function on the gear in question.

Quote:>Can it modulate the sound source using user specified continuous
>controller messages?

Yes. You can set fixed controller level for each voice and, in KPro2,
you can generate one or two effects on each voice by feeding
continuous controllers from, what are in effect, software control
oscillators. KPro2 also has "MIDIbook" functions which allow you to
initialise your gear with  any MIDI codes you like. I've yet to get
into this myself.

Why don't you download the KPro2 demo from http://www.sseyo.com/ and
check it out for yourself?

Best Wishes

Richard

http://www.stonygap.demon.co.uk/

Koan Pro support for non GM devices

Post by Mark Harro » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Simon,

Quote:>Is there anyone that can tell me how Koan Pro 2 supports non GM midi
>devices. It seems to be tightly linked to the AWE32 card but I would
>like to use it with a Turtle Beach Tropez + or a Korg Wavestation.
>Can you dissable the GM sysex commands?

You can't disassemble the sysex commands as such but the midi book
facility allows you to write your own and send them on both a piece and
voice specific basis. It's not a trivial task though - I'd certainly
rank it alongside sticking pins in your eyes for fun.

Quote:>Can it modulate the sound source using user specified continuous
>controller messages?

The two user controllers can be sent to any device you have providing
you are prepared to hand write the appropriate messages yourself. Use
midibook.txt as a start point. It's pretty easy to add/modify entries to
point to any control number you like. The trouble starts when you move
into NRPN/sysex territory.

Quote:> Is there anyone with experiece of using Koan Pro
>with anything but an AWE32

Yes, I occasionally it with a JV80 and Korg Prophecy BUT I tend to set
up the instruments first using editor software and/or the front panels
and just use Kpro to generate standard controller/note data. If your
synth can do it, its easier to remap a standard controller to the
parameter you want to address than it is to get Koan to address one that
is not directly supported. The Prophecy is very flexible in this respect
- can you do the same with the Wavestation?

Obviously, the problem then is one of portability - you might create a
generative masterpiece but you can only ever distribute a recording of
it. For me, this rather defeats the point of generating music in the
first place but I guess that's my problem :-)

--
Mark Harrop

The Uncertain Music Corps - http://www.umcorps.demon.co.uk
"It don't mean a thing if it aint got that doubt"

1. SSEYO's Koan Music Engine now supports MP3 samples

http://www.sseyo.com

MAIDENHEAD, UK - May 17, 1999 -- SSEYO today launched a new range of
Internet- focused music software with MP3 sample support.  Through it, a
10Kb piece can now deliver a continuous and consistent Internet sound
experience on any soundcard*.  The Koan music approach gives musicians,
website designers and developers another rich MP3 seam to explore.

Market leading Internet generative music system, Koan, allows creation
and delivery of ultra-compact pieces of music that can utilise MP3
samples.  The music in these pieces can be fully sequenced or composed
"on the fly", as required.  Tiny MP3 samples can now be looked upon as
musical building blocks, and used in preference to much bigger sound
sample formats.  As Koan music can already drive web animations (e.g.
Flash/DHTML) through webpage JavaScript, this development facilitates a
plethora of Internet applications.

Said Tim Cole, SSEYO Co-founder, "MP3 on its own is a great pre-recorded
music delivery format.  Internet animations can be fantastic, but use
standalone samples or looped music.  Now that the Internet's favourite
generative music engine supports MP3 and can drive animations, the
touchpaper is lit.  Musicians and artists have always used new
instruments and tools to push the boundaries.  We could be witnessing
the birth of a whole new Internet scene."

This SSEYO Koan software release also features the introduction of SSEYO
Koan Mix files (SKM files).  These files contain the Koan piece and all
samples required by that piece, in any combination of MP3 / WAV / SF2 /
SBK. This development makes it easy for website designer to take
advantage of Koan music, as one Koan file can contain MP3 breakbeats as
well as other instrument samples.

Concurrently released MP3 Template Pack 1 ($29.95), constructed by Tim
Didymus, contains a "thumping" 120 superb generative templates and
provides a great starting point for exploration.  The new Koan authoring
tools, Koan Pro 2.2 PE ($199.95) and Koan X 1.2 XE ($39.95), can create
SKM files automatically.  These products, and upgrades, are available
from the SSEYO online store and other Digital River online stores.

*Requirements for multiple MP3 & WAV file playback: SSEYO Koan software
latest 32 bit version, Microsoft Windows 95/98, DirectX 5+, MP3 codec
(not supplied).  MP3 encoder not supplied.

END    # # # #     END

http://www.sseyo.com/pr990517.html

Copyright 1999 SSEYO Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

2. Wanted: Visionary Technologists for Exciting Internet Entertainment Project

3. Koan Software : now supports SBLive SoundFonts !

4. TSAC auto-login

5. ANNOUNCE : New Koan software range with DirectX 5 support

6. FS: misc. items

7. WIN95 and non-GMIDI device

8. Using custom instruments (non-GM) in MIDI composition - How?

9. Notation Soft with support MIDI-device import of pitch and duration

10. KOAN - GM! The conflict WITHIN

11. Midi2Cs 0.95 DOS beta / GM support for Csound