Standard midi file crashing computer

Post by Chris Laarma » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

* answered in comp.music.midi only *

I suspect a hardware conflict, presumably the address of the MIDI port.
---
Chris Laarman
(Amsterdam, NL)

Tim Watts heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:>When I try to play a standard midi file disk with Micrologic Ver 2.0.7 it
>always seems to crash the computer when I press the play button.  Does
>anybody know why this would be happening?

1. MDI Out and computer crashing

Hello all,

I use Finale 98 and Encore 4 notation programs but I think this is sort of a
general question.  For a set-up I have a 64 MB 200 Mhz Pentium I (MMX) PC,
Ensoniq Audio PCI 32-bit sound card, Roland XP-80 and Yahama P-200.  Whatever
MIDI playback I use, be it Finale, Encore, or a simple MIDI player, my computer
crashes about 8 times out of 10 when I use MIDI OUT through my sound card.  I
am sure the problem is computer related because the same thing happens if I use
the Roland and the Yamaha.  My MIDI cables are certainly hooked up right
because I can hear the MIDI playback through the Roland (at least for a few
seconds until my system freezes).

I get two kinds of crash-type problems: either the "this program has performed
an illegal operation and will be shut down" message or the white rectangular
screen "an error has occured in your program. You may have lost information
since your last save [Ignore] or [Close]".  Either my system will freeze
entirely or I the program I was using will not work at all until I reboot.

My question is this: Is this problem likely to be related to my sound card?  If
so, then I hope that buying a better soundcard will solve this problem.  Please
e-mail.  Many thanks in advance.

Marc

2. Emm386 and possibly available?

3. How to split a standard midi files from his differents midi channels?

4. Monitor specs for Alphastation 255/233

5. Advice? General MIDI, standard MIDI files, etc.

6. hosting online games with a cable modem

7. C/C++ Source code for reading/writing Standard MIDI files

8. mv-30 file format to standard midi?

9. Yamaha QY700 Sequencer .q7s file: How can I convert to standard midi format

10. Can ReBirth 2.0 save as Standard MIDI files?

11. Mark Feaver's Standard Midi and Karaoke File Player

12. Is there a trick/standard to adress a GM drumkit from a MIDI file?