Playing Back MIDIs -- Am I doing it right?

Playing Back MIDIs -- Am I doing it right?

Post by Anthony M. Ramire » Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Whenever I play back MIDIs, it always seems as though the only instrument
is a piano.  I think I'm going something wrong.  I'm operating under
Windows95.  Any suggestions?
--

Post by Midi?? -- Yes » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Whenever I play back MIDIs, it always seems as though the only instrument
>is a piano.  I think I'm going something wrong.  I'm operating under
>Windows95.  Any suggestions?
>--

What you describe suggests that only midi channel 1 is being played.
And yes, by convention the Piano is normally on Channel 1.
Unfortunately, you didn't say _what_  you are using to play midis --
an external keyboard or an internal sound card. In any case, look for
a "multi" mode "setting" as opposed to omni or poly -- if my ASR-10
isn't set to multi, it will also do what you describe.

1. Wanted: tool for playing back on left and right channel

Hello,

I'm searching for a tool, that can divide the channels over the left and
right channel on my soundcard.

For instance, I have 4 channels, let's say
Trumpet, Trombone, Piano, Strings.
Now I want to playback the Trumpet on the right channel,
and the other 3 on the left channel.

Does anyone know where to find a simple tool to do this job?

Dick Doornbos

2. CA Thank You

3. Am I in the right place?

4. autmatic email using visual interdev

5. what am I doing wrong ?

6. How to write TCP/IP code?

7. I am what I am: Midi request

8. pretty print (serialize) XML from DOM - no line separator

9. Roland E-30; Am I out of luck playing General MIDI?

10. Getting MIDI's to play back at the same volume

11. Playing Midi In Dos With a SB32PnP

12. Looking for DOS midi-playing TSR (mpu401, maybe other cards)

13. Playing ALL MIDI formats in DOS