Incorrect MIDI Notes

Post by Michael Maing » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:46:46

I am truly at my wit's end (it was a short trip).  I have a MOTU midi
flyer, I'm using win98 and I have a Korg DW8000 as a controller and
(now for the problem) a Roland JV-880 as a sound module.  When I play
notes that are echoed through the MIDI flyer with the bypass switch
set to bypass the PC, all works fine.  When I switch it to non-bypass,
the notes get screwed up.  e.g my C and C# become both C#, my D and D#
become D#, same for F and F#.  F and G are fine, but F# becomes G.
This is for every octave and is driving me crazy.  I've combed usenet
and the internet and have not found anyone else with this problem.

The worst part is I can't figure out which compenent is exactly
failing.  When I look at the notes coming in, they are correct (in
cakewalk and sonar at least).  When I play back the recorded notes
through the internal MIDI softsynth (OPL), everything is ok.  When I
connect the JV directly to the keyboard or bypass the PC everything is
ok.  When I play back a file to the JV, everything sounds crazy.

HELP!!!!

Michael Mainguy

Incorrect MIDI Notes

Post by Denni » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 09:03:51

Quote:> I am truly at my wit's end (it was a short trip).

So am I on a different matter, but, have you tried midiox to help sort out
what codes are going where?
www.midiox.com
Den

Incorrect MIDI Notes

Post by Michael Maing » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:07:05

Wow!  nice tool, it only confuses me more though.... When I run
midiox, the note data coming in is exactly what is expected and GASP!
the notes sound correct coming out of the sound module.  Now I'm
really baffled, there must be something essentially different with how
cakewalk handles the note data.

Once I run cakewalk 8 it gets screwed up and then no matter what I do,
it is screwed up.

Incorrect MIDI Notes

Post by JB Seattl » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:46:23

You have an echo setup somewhere in the midi chain, the data going out is
being echoed somewhere.  It is usually a software problem.
JB

Quote:> I am truly at my wit's end (it was a short trip).  I have a MOTU midi
> flyer, I'm using win98 and I have a Korg DW8000 as a controller and
> (now for the problem) a Roland JV-880 as a sound module.  When I play
> notes that are echoed through the MIDI flyer with the bypass switch
> set to bypass the PC, all works fine.  When I switch it to non-bypass,
> the notes get screwed up.  e.g my C and C# become both C#, my D and D#
> become D#, same for F and F#.  F and G are fine, but F# becomes G.
> This is for every octave and is driving me crazy.  I've combed usenet
> and the internet and have not found anyone else with this problem.

> The worst part is I can't figure out which compenent is exactly
> failing.  When I look at the notes coming in, they are correct (in
> cakewalk and sonar at least).  When I play back the recorded notes
> through the internal MIDI softsynth (OPL), everything is ok.  When I
> connect the JV directly to the keyboard or bypass the PC everything is
> ok.  When I play back a file to the JV, everything sounds crazy.

> HELP!!!!

> Michael Mainguy

1. "Hanging" notes and absent notes

When I play a note on my master keyboard, one of two things happen;
either it keeps on being played, even if I release the key, or, if
there's already a note being played, it just gets ignored.
Anyone have a clue about what could cause this?
My setup is one Goldstar GX-something masterkeyboard (their cheapest),
one Turtlebeach MIDI-adapter, one Turtlebeach Monterey soundcard with 4
MBs of RAM and EMAGIC microLOGIC sequencer software.
I had this problem only one out of a hundred times before I added the
RAM to the soundcard.

A million thanks in advance for anything helpful.

----

Thomas Winther

2. Help: fsp2.7.1 on OpenVMS/AXP/VAX V6.1 won't compile

3. How to slide a note up to another note?

4. PCS/LEV slave switches - true action ??

5. MIDI note repetition in Pro Tools LE on Win98

6. central address-book

7. Triggering a HOLD for a MIDI key/note

8. Display full screen image?

9. REQ: Midi or notes for "Wonderfil soupstone"

10. Converting midi into note sheets

11. Triggering a sequence (or other MIDI event) from a CHORD or GROUP of notes?

12. Is there a pitch-to-MIDI or note name indicator?

13. are drum note names specific to MIDI bank or patch?