cheap, good sound module reccomendation

Post by Wesley Caddell Ime » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:03:11

hello,
i am a home studio owner, and i need to get a cheap but decent sound module
to use for click tracks and basic midi. (pro tools le doesnt have an
embedded click track, just a midi send). i was wondering if anybody can
recommend a decent sound module that i can get for around $150, that has
decent drum/click sounds, as well as piano and synth stuff. eventually i
will buy a controller and do stuff with it, so i dont want it to be just a
piece of trash that clicks. i appreciate the help, im a guitar player so i
dont know much about keyboards/midi!

regards,
wes

Post by Martin Tarenskee » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:00:00

> hello,
> i am a home studio owner, and i need to get a cheap but decent sound module
> to use for click tracks and basic midi. (pro tools le doesnt have an
> embedded click track, just a midi send). i was wondering if anybody can
> recommend a decent sound module that i can get for around $150, that has
> decent drum/click sounds, as well as piano and synth stuff. eventually i
> will buy a controller and do stuff with it, so i dont want it to be just a
> piece of trash that clicks. i appreciate the help, im a guitar player so i
> dont know much about keyboards/midi!

> regards,
> wes

Look on the second hand markets for a Roland Sound Canvas (there are
several models, one of them is the legendary SC-55) or a Yamaha MU-50 or
MU-80. There are also other similar modules. What they have in common is
the GM (General Midi) standard. In that case you will find the drumsounds
on midi channel 10. On my MU-50 there is a click noise on note number 20,
a Metronome click on #21 and a Metronome Bell on #22. But if you prefer a
woodblock, or a cowbell as clicksound: It's all there to choose from, also
on Roland and other GM (General) / GS (Roland) / XG (Yamaha) soundmodules.
So idf you want a user friendly, general purpose, soundmodule: look for
the GM/XG/GS logo.

--

  Martin Tarenskeen

* YSEDITOR homepage : http://yseditor.atari.org                        *
* UNI_MANiacs homepage: http://uniman.atari.org                        *
* DE PIANOLES (NL): http://www.home.zonnet.nl/m.tarenskeen/pianoles.htm*
* INDEX: http://www.home.zonnet.nl/m.tarenskeen/index.html             *

cheap, good sound module reccomendation

Post by Rob Culle » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:53:42

Korg 05R/W will do the job too, and there is a free PC editor that makes it
very easy to use.

.

> > hello,
> > i am a home studio owner, and i need to get a cheap but decent sound
module
> > to use for click tracks and basic midi. (pro tools le doesnt have an
> > embedded click track, just a midi send). i was wondering if anybody can
> > recommend a decent sound module that i can get for around $150, that has
> > decent drum/click sounds, as well as piano and synth stuff. eventually i
> > will buy a controller and do stuff with it, so i dont want it to be just
> > piece of trash that clicks. i appreciate the help, im a guitar player so
> > dont know much about keyboards/midi!

> > regards,
> > wes

> Look on the second hand markets for a Roland Sound Canvas (there are
> several models, one of them is the legendary SC-55) or a Yamaha MU-50 or
> MU-80. There are also other similar modules. What they have in common is
> the GM (General Midi) standard. In that case you will find the drumsounds
> on midi channel 10. On my MU-50 there is a click noise on note number 20,
> a Metronome click on #21 and a Metronome Bell on #22. But if you prefer a
> woodblock, or a cowbell as clicksound: It's all there to choose from, also
> on Roland and other GM (General) / GS (Roland) / XG (Yamaha) soundmodules.
> So idf you want a user friendly, general purpose, soundmodule: look for
> the GM/XG/GS logo.

> --

>   Martin Tarenskeen

> * YSEDITOR homepage : http://yseditor.atari.org                        *
> * UNI_MANiacs homepage: http://uniman.atari.org                        *
> * DE PIANOLES (NL): http://www.home.zonnet.nl/m.tarenskeen/pianoles.htm*
> * INDEX: http://www.home.zonnet.nl/m.tarenskeen/index.html             *

1. Need reccomendations for good sound card

I am in the market for a professional sound card and was wondering if
anyone could steer me in the right direction based on my needs.

Right now I am doing a lot with midi.  I am somewhat attatched to the
idea behind creative labs/emu soundfonts.  I would like to purchase a
card that has a large amount of sound patches available, preferablly
soundfont capabillity, even though I don't think many cards support
it.  Is there another large soundfont-like standard that can be used or
are you usually stuck with built-in midi patches in the professional
cards?

Also, I play several instruments that are not keyboard/midi
(guitar/sax/mandolin).  I would like preferably quality 1/4" inputs and
outputs.  Even though the outputs arn't as important to me.

Basically what I want is a nice card that I can do multitrack recording
with.  This is the main reason I am looking for this card.  I want a
good multitrack recording card with good midi capabillities.

If anyone has any reccomendations *please* e-mail me at

much appreciated.  Thank you.

David Thompson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. DKB PPC

3. Good cheap Sound/Midi cards

4. windows driver for old Roland PR1111 ?

5. Win95, cheap sound card, and cheap midi keyboard

6. AmigaVision and amiga voice problem

7. What options besides external midi module to make good instrument sounds with a mac?

8. Help me compile a Freq. Asked for computer buyers..

9. How good are the YAMAHA MU80 or 90 module sounds?

10. Module with good BRUSH sounds

11. Sound Module - What is a Good Buy for a Novice?

12. need module with good piano sound

13. WTB cheap midi module