Playing MIDI live on the net

Post by Jacques KOLL » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have heard about MIDI live performance on the net by several musicians,
and I am interested as pianist/keyboardist, if there is any vacancy in some
virtual band. Where can I find that?
How does it work ?

I suppose really realtime MIDI performance cannot work, because of some
internet delay.
Assuming you perform in a band of 3 musicians, it could work in this way :
-The first plays but cannot (and must not) hear the 2 others
-The second listens to the first and add his/her part
-And the third listens to the first + the second and add his/her part
-Then the audience could listen to the band.

Thoses are just my suppositions, as I lack of Internet knowledge.
Any proper information will be welcome.

Cheers
--

Playing MIDI live on the net

Post by David Gosnel » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I have heard about MIDI live performance on the net by several musicians,
> and I am interested as pianist/keyboardist, if there is any vacancy in some
> virtual band. Where can I find that?
> How does it work ?

Check out Res Rocket Surfer on http://www.resrocket.com/ and prepare to
be amazed.

It does all that you suspect, and a lot more.  It is truly collaborative
and about as real-time as you can get.

Dave

Playing MIDI live on the net

Post by David Gosnel » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> warning:  trying to join this site to actually play music involves a VERY VERY
> long and tedious process

Not exactly.  Depends what you want from it, and whether you are Mac or
PC based.  And it's well worth any wait anyway.  If you are going to
criticise something that has had more time, money and effort invested in
it than anything even vaguely comparable - as if there was... - do so
openly please.  Be accountable.  Be constructive.  Or don't bother.

Dave.