Cakewalk Problem! Please Help!

Post by Piano Ma » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am using Cakewalk 9, and when I set my patches and Banks it works fine,
then I save the File to my HD, when i reload the File it Shows different
Banks and Different Patch Names in the Instrument Patch Box! But It still
plays the Original Patch I selected, just doesnt show up in the Track Patch
Box!

Very Weird!
Hard to tell whether the Patches are right when you cant see whats there!

The Manual says nothing.... and Cakewalk says I probably have a Problem with
the
.INS file I had to create cause there was no INS file for an Ensoniq SQ plus
1

Heres What I use:
Cakewalk 9
Pentium 2- 366MHZ
AWE 64 GOLD Sound Card  (12MB RAM)
64 MB RAM
Ensoniq SQ 1 Plus Keyboard for only 2 Channels
Korg M3R Module for 6 Channels
Roland R8 and R8M Module for Drums
Yamaha TG33 for Bass and 4 other channels

I use a Modified TG55 INS (seems to work)
I Use a Modified Ensoniq SQ1 INS (Worked Before)
Standard Roland GM Drum INS
Nothing for the M3R (I just keep the Basic 6 channels with Standard
Instruments    like Piano - Channel 2.........Organ - Channel
3..............Saxaphone - Channel 4................Guitars - Channels
5-6-7 )

If you see  somewhere I could have made an error, or have a
suggestion....Please send me An Email!

THANKS!!!!!!!

Cakewalk Problem! Please Help!

Post by JB/Seattl » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

This is a problem with all sequencers--there is a header info block of data
and that generally is sent first followed by the events on each track.  Once
the events start, the patches and banks can all change regardless of what is
in the header info as reflected on the track view you are looking at.
That is why it is better to insure that the patch/bank info you want on the
track is inserted in the Event List at the precise point you want it.
Roland's new advanced GS editor can edit and replace header information in
most sequencers--but later events you insert will change it and not be
reflected in the header info.
They all seem to work a bit different--Cakewalk, Cubase, Powertracks,
etc.--when it comes to header info.
If your sound mods or keyboard has an LED window showing the patch/bank then
you can see the events switch on the mod.
The best way is to learn to use the Event List which functions pretty much
the same in the major sequencers.
JB

> I am using Cakewalk 9, and when I set my patches and Banks it works fine,
> then I save the File to my HD, when i reload the File it Shows different
> Banks and Different Patch Names in the Instrument Patch Box! But It still
> plays the Original Patch I selected, just doesnt show up in the Track
Patch
> Box!

> Very Weird!
> Hard to tell whether the Patches are right when you cant see whats there!

> The Manual says nothing.... and Cakewalk says I probably have a Problem
with
> the
> .INS file I had to create cause there was no INS file for an Ensoniq SQ
plus
> 1

> Heres What I use:
> Cakewalk 9
> Pentium 2- 366MHZ
> AWE 64 GOLD Sound Card  (12MB RAM)
> 64 MB RAM
> Ensoniq SQ 1 Plus Keyboard for only 2 Channels
> Korg M3R Module for 6 Channels
> Roland R8 and R8M Module for Drums
> Yamaha TG33 for Bass and 4 other channels

> I use a Modified TG55 INS (seems to work)
> I Use a Modified Ensoniq SQ1 INS (Worked Before)
> Standard Roland GM Drum INS
> Nothing for the M3R (I just keep the Basic 6 channels with Standard
> Instruments    like Piano - Channel 2.........Organ - Channel
> 3..............Saxaphone - Channel 4................Guitars - Channels
> 5-6-7 )

> If you see  somewhere I could have made an error, or have a
> suggestion....Please send me An Email!

> THANKS!!!!!!!

Cakewalk Problem! Please Help!

Post by Nick Whi » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 01:48:23 -0800, "Piano Man"

>I am using Cakewalk 9, and when I set my patches and Banks it works fine,
>then I save the File to my HD, when i reload the File it Shows different
>Banks and Different Patch Names in the Instrument Patch Box! But It still
>plays the Original Patch I selected, just doesnt show up in the Track Patch
>Box!

Describe the steps you take in detail, and the setings in Cakewalk,
when this happens.

How long have you been using CW9? I have not used it to check for a
possible bug such as this, but I am wondering if you have not set the
ports up right or something.

Quote:>Very Weird!
>Hard to tell whether the Patches are right when you cant see whats there!

>The Manual says nothing.... and Cakewalk says I probably have a Problem with
>the
>.INS file I had to create cause there was no INS file for an Ensoniq SQ plus
>1

Have you tried re-creating the file to see whether this fixes the
problem? Have you tried using the SQ1 file, just for now, using basic
patches?

Quote:>Heres What I use:
>Cakewalk 9
>Pentium 2- 366MHZ
>AWE 64 GOLD Sound Card  (12MB RAM)
>64 MB RAM
>Ensoniq SQ 1 Plus Keyboard for only 2 Channels
>Korg M3R Module for 6 Channels
>Roland R8 and R8M Module for Drums
>Yamaha TG33 for Bass and 4 other channels

>I use a Modified TG55 INS (seems to work)
>I Use a Modified Ensoniq SQ1 INS (Worked Before)

when did it work?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

(please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
....damn spam

    !!
   <")
   _/ )
   (   )
  _//- \__/

Cakewalk Problem! Please Help!

Post by Nick Whi » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>This is a problem with all sequencers--there is a header info block of data
>and that generally is sent first followed by the events on each track.  Once
>the events start, the patches and banks can all change regardless of what is
>in the header info as reflected on the track view you are looking at.

I _think_ the problem as laid out in the question appears at reload
time, NOT replay time, and the _written_ patches are changing, not the
_heard_ patches. Your statement does not address the question as I
understand it.

Post by Barry Graha » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 01:48:23 -0800, "Piano Man"

> >I am using Cakewalk 9, and when I set my patches and Banks it works fine,
> >then I save the File to my HD, when i reload the File it Shows different
> >Banks and Different Patch Names in the Instrument Patch Box!

Sounds like it's a problem of how you define the bank and patch.
I had the same problem setting banks for the AWE32.
I knew that I only had to define Controller 0 and then change the patch.
But in the event list the bank and patch change were combined (I use an old
version). That combination defined two bytes in the bank select.
When I reloaded a file I got bank Nos. in the thousands - so I figured that
somehow Controller 32 had got into the act - and thats what it was.
Check under your Instrument Definition option and try changing the Bank
Select method between Normal, Cont 0 only, Cont 32 etc. until it works.

Cakewalk Problem! Please Help!

Post by JB/Seattl » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Well--yes and no.  How the sequencer interprets the header measure or track
event data as text in the track view depends on the sequencer and version
relative to how the program was written.
All of that really doesn't matter if the Event List is used to change the
contollers and program or simply send the proper sysex for the change.
This is a common problem editing files made on other software  sequencers
you may download from the net--your track view may not exactly read out the
data as the other one did--I know it's supposed to but reality is different.
Roland has addressed the problem in their advance GS editor by allowing you
to cut and replace the header or append it--but they warn that you can't
append the CW header because it functions a bit differently--you must cut
and replace.
JB

> >This is a problem with all sequencers--there is a header info block of
data
> >and that generally is sent first followed by the events on each track.
Once
> >the events start, the patches and banks can all change regardless of what
is
> >in the header info as reflected on the track view you are looking at.

> I _think_ the problem as laid out in the question appears at reload
> time, NOT replay time, and the _written_ patches are changing, not the
> _heard_ patches. Your statement does not address the question as I
> understand it.

> Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

> (please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
> ....damn spam

>     !!
>    <")
>    _/ )
>    (   )
>   _//- \__/

1. Problem playing/recording different tracks in Cakewalk - please help

Hi,
        I'm just getting started with Cakewalk (Vers 8.0) and midi in
general, so I hope someone can help me with the following. Cakewalk is
receiving and recording the first track from my Roland U20 keyboard
okay, but it will only play back whatever sound/patch is currently
selected on the keyboard. I am unable to record and playback more than
one different track. Even when I open up the midi files which came
with the program, it will only play one of the tracks using whatever
sound in selected on the keyboard at the time.  It is using the Roland
MPU-401 driver, and I have tried to select a different channel for
each instrument (I've just about tried every single permutation of
options), but can't get it to work properly. Could it be a setting in
the keyboard itself that's causing the problems? (I've just about
exhausted all options there too). I have 'local' on, which I think is
the default setting anyway. When I go to record each track, I should
be able to select the different sounds/patches from within Cakewalk
itself, shouldn't I? Any help on this matter would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken Ogata.

2. How can I force a discovery of a remote server?

3. Problem with CAKEWALK. Help, please!

4. Strange problem with Kenwood 52X True-X ATAPI CD-ROM

5. Please Please Help with Cakewalk 3.01

6. MESSAGE xxxD far

7. -->PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with Audio Logic 2.6<--

8. Delta 1010 problem? HELP please...

9. MPU-401 problem. Please HELP!

10. MIDI problem, please help! Logic + EPS [PC]

11. Midi Volume Problem - Please Help !!!

12. Opcode Studio 128x Serial Port Problem - Please Help :)