C++ midi programming reference...

Post by dj » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 19:11:05

Hello Everybody,

I did a search for a C or C++ midi programming reference book
and found Maximum MIDI : Music Applications in C++ by Paul Messick.
People seem to really like this book but after checking it out on amazon
it seemed a little dated.

Is this still the book to get???
Or is there something better available???

Thanks...

dj

C++ midi programming reference...

Post by dj » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 07:15:36

Thanks Jeff,

I actually stumbled onto your site last night and was up until
4am reading everything.  Thanks for the great information.

dj

the book is still available at www.amazon.com

- MIDI protocol and file format hasn't changed
- Windows MCI interface didn't change even when new OS came out, most old MIDI applications still work on a newer Windows system.

Some things can now be done easier when old Win 3.x system must not be supported anymore. I also think that it is not anymore necessary to use a 16bit MIDI DLL (as the author recommended for getting high precise timing) for midi applications when only newer OS systems are used, but also this still works.

The book describes using the low level MIDI api functions of Windows including all details that are necessary to understand it.
This knowledge hasn't changed and Windows documentation didn't describe it so detailed as the author.

Most of the book is printed source code and description what the code does.

I think for learning programming MIDI under Windows this is best book available, even the Microsoft Multimedia programming book is only a function reference and
does not really explain details and dependencies, same for the MCI help files and MSDN online pages.

When I got the book I already had learned using the MCI api by trial and error, it would have been much easier to learn it with help of the book.

Gnter
http://www.gnmidi.com

> Hello Everybody,

> I did a search for a C or C++ midi programming reference book
> and found Maximum MIDI : Music Applications in C++ by Paul Messick.
> People seem to really like this book but after checking it out on amazon
> it seemed a little dated.

> Is this still the book to get???
> Or is there something better available???

> Thanks...

> dj

C++ midi programming reference...

Post by dj » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:49:21

Thanks Gnter,

There is a lot of stuff out on the web, but not a lot of detailed
explanations.
Sound like this book will help me fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the comments.

dj

Quote:> the book is still available at www.amazon.com

> - MIDI protocol and file format hasn't changed
> - Windows MCI interface didn't change even when new OS came out, most old

MIDI applications still work on a newer Windows system.
Quote:

> Some things can now be done easier when old Win 3.x system must not be

supported anymore. I also think that it is not anymore necessary to use a
16bit MIDI DLL (as the author recommended for getting high precise timing)
for midi applications when only newer OS systems are used, but also this
still works.
Quote:

> The book describes using the low level MIDI api functions of Windows

including all details that are necessary to understand it.
Quote:> This knowledge hasn't changed and Windows documentation didn't describe it

so detailed as the author.
Quote:

> Most of the book is printed source code and description what the code
does.

> I think for learning programming MIDI under Windows this is best book

available, even the Microsoft Multimedia programming book is only a function
reference and
Quote:> does not really explain details and dependencies, same for the MCI help

files and MSDN online pages.
Quote: