Sequencing/Master Fine Tune query

Post by Kingy7 » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:40:07

Hi all,
I'm currently programming some MIDI sequences to be used as backing tracks
for a stage musical. The music is orchestrated for:

3 B flat clarinets
1 bass clarinet
Flute/Piccolo
Soprano/Alto/Tenor/Baritone Sax/s
3 Trumpets
3 Trombones
Violin
Piano
Bass
Drums
Percussion (Vibes, Marimba, Glock, Xylo)

I've often read that a good way to produce rich sounding sequences is to
adjust the Master Fine Tuning slightly of each individual instrument. Anyone
have any experience with this?
MY QUESTION: How much should I adjust the tuning? i.e.: how far above/below
440 (concert pitch) should I set the tuning of each instrument?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kingy75

Sequencing/Master Fine Tune query

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:34:11

Quote:>Hi all,
>I'm currently programming some MIDI sequences to be used as backing tracks
>for a stage musical. The music is orchestrated for:

>3 B flat clarinets
>1 bass clarinet
>Flute/Piccolo
>Soprano/Alto/Tenor/Baritone Sax/s
>3 Trumpets
>3 Trombones
>Violin
>Piano
>Bass
>Drums
>Percussion (Vibes, Marimba, Glock, Xylo)

>I've often read that a good way to produce rich sounding sequences is to
>adjust the Master Fine Tuning slightly of each individual instrument. Anyone
>have any experience with this?
>MY QUESTION: How much should I adjust the tuning? i.e.: how far above/below
>440 (concert pitch) should I set the tuning of each instrument?

  Tune as your orchestra is tuned.  That is, as any live players tune.

  Different orchestras use different tuning.  442 is pretty common,
tuning slightly high makes everything brighter, 460 isn't rare either.

  Another thing, not with master tuning, is scale tuning.  Wind and
brass instruments, for the most part, can't play equal temperament
scale.  If your synth can adjust scale tuning, you can try setting up
tuning sets for specific keys.  When you do that, you'll need to make
sure your arrangements are scored in the right keys too -- general
orchestration rules apply for this.

  For MIDI synth samples, they sometimes are clearly better in certain
ranges than others.  If you have options for instrument sounds, you
can pick different instrument samples/settings for different keys and
arrangements.  If your orchestral sounds are very good, though, you
can ignore this advice, and just score as if writing for a real
orchestra.

--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*

1. Stringless Violin Fine Tunes Computerized Music

Try this (or not, if you prefer!)

http://www.reuters.co.uk/news_article.jhtml?type=sciencenews&StoryID=966
244
Stringless Violin Fine Tunes Computerized Music

15 May, 2002 20:48 BST

LONDON (Reuters) - A California-based musician has invented a violin-
like instrument without strings to add more emotion to the sound of
computerized music, a science magazine said on Wednesday.

&c &c ...
--
Brian Robinson

2. Money 2004 and Norton Antivirus

3. Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

4. FS on eBay

5. Master tuning - programming midi

6. About the batteries for IIIx

7. Help with changing Master Tuning in VSC DXi

8. Amiga HW/SW auction - A3000T, etc.

9. Can the master tuning be done on the SC-7?

10. Changing the pitch (Master Tune) with Cubase VST 4

11. Midi out goes fine, Midi in does not work: a common problem

12. Fractal Tune Smithy - make tunes as intricate as snowflakes and transform them to make them into your own tunes.

13. help!,want to use edit fine and coarse controllers in Cubase