Newbie - Initial setup help

Post by The Garden City CHor » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

It seems so simple, but I must be missing something...

Here's my system (I told you it was simple):
   Computer with Soudblaster 1.5 card installed
   Casio CTK-530 keyboard
   Universal Soundcard MIDI connector cable

I have connected the cable from the joystick/MIDI port to the
keyboard.  (Cable labelled MIDI IN -> MIDI OUT slot in keyboard, &
vice-versa).

I cannot get any sound produced by the computer to play on the
keyboard or vice versa.  I have tried using the FMORGAN that comes
with SB, and SongWrite (a package I have used for arranging).

Am I missing something simple and/or obvious here?  Does the SB card
require a special MIDI  connector box, or will a standard cable, like
I have used, work?  The keyboard manual refers to MIDI channels, but I
have no corresponding info for the sound card.  I tried all 16
channels with no success.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Lance Abbott
Barbershop Quartet Singer, Runner, and oh yeah, Process Control
Engineer

Newbie - Initial setup help

Post by Horva » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

CHorus) scribbled:

Quote:>It seems so simple, but I must be missing something...

>Here's my system (I told you it was simple):
>   Computer with Soudblaster 1.5 card installed
>   Casio CTK-530 keyboard
>   Universal Soundcard MIDI connector cable

>I have connected the cable from the joystick/MIDI port to the
>keyboard.  (Cable labelled MIDI IN -> MIDI OUT slot in keyboard, &
>vice-versa).

>I cannot get any sound produced by the computer to play on the
>keyboard or vice versa.  I have tried using the FMORGAN that comes
>with SB, and SongWrite (a package I have used for arranging).

>Am I missing something simple and/or obvious here?  Does the SB card
>require a special MIDI  connector box, or will a standard cable, like
>I have used, work?  The keyboard manual refers to MIDI channels, but I
>have no corresponding info for the sound card.  I tried all 16
>channels with no success.  Any suggestions?

>Thanks for taking the time to answer.

>Lance Abbott
>Barbershop Quartet Singer, Runner, and oh yeah, Process Control
>Engineer

From the Sound Blaster Book page 401:

        The Sound Blaster Pro can operate in the UART mode.
        In this mode, you can read and write MIDI data at the
        same time.  UART mode handles the Pro's full-duplex
        capabilities.

In other words, with a SB 1.5, you will never be able to hit keys on
the keyboard, and get sound.  You can hit the keys, and save the data
for playback later, but not play and store data at the same time.

Even if you get the soundcard to play properly, it will never be any
good with the keyboard.

                                Horvath

I didn't come here for a Polka lesson, so stop dancing around!

1. Newbie Midi Setup HELP!!

Hello,

I have a Yamaha midi keyboard and would like to hook it up to my
computer to write sheet music through MusicWrite software.  I am told I
have to buy a midi "hub" with a new sound card for the computer.  The
cheapest setup I have seen is around $ 200 bucks installed.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks, Glenn

Thanks

2. Pharlap Support Network

3. Help Newbie with MIDI Setup, please!

4. CellDoubleClick() Tip

5. Newbie question about system setup.

6. FREE SOFTWARE!

7. Stupid Newbie question midi setup

8. Newbie setup

9. Questions about newbie setup

10. Basic MIDI setup - sorry, extreme newbie question ;)

11. Opinion: Mac setup for midi/record setup under $2000

12. Need help with Hard/Soft Synth MIDI Setup - Cabling