MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Oleg V. Melniko » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:44:26

Hi.
I tried to search MIDI cabel to connect my Yamaha PSR-540 synth to Power PC
Macintosh.
In my city it seams impossible to bye this stuff for Mac, though for PC it's
cheap.  In one shop they said me that they can do such cabel but it will cost
hundreds of dollars :)

So, can anyone help me to make MIDI cabels by myself?  I want to connect them to
my Mac's 8pin Printer port.
--
With the love of Jesus in my heart,    Oleg Melnikov.
          (380-44) 441-10-18   ICQ#36935094

Quote:>>>>===== Jesus Christ loves you VERY MUCH! =====<<<<

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by John Erik Anders » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:59:34

Quote:> Hi. I tried to search MIDI cabel to connect my Yamaha PSR-540 synth to
> Power PC Macintosh. In my city it seams impossible to bye this stuff for
> Mac, though for PC it's cheap.  In one shop they said me that they can do
> such cabel but it will cost hundreds of dollars :)

> So, can anyone help me to make MIDI cabels by myself?  I want to connect
> them to my Mac's 8pin Printer port.

You'll need a MIDI interface, try this link :

http://www.midiman.com/midiman/html/products/mac.htm

John

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Laurence Payn » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:32:29

Basic sound cards for pc usually include a midi interface on the same
connector as the joystick port.  All you need is a simple cable.

I don't think the on-board sound in a Mac has this facility.  You'll
need a midi interface.

Quote:>Hi.
>I tried to search MIDI cabel to connect my Yamaha PSR-540 synth to Power PC
>Macintosh.
>In my city it seams impossible to bye this stuff for Mac, though for PC it's
>cheap.  In one shop they said me that they can do such cabel but it will cost
>hundreds of dollars :)

>So, can anyone help me to make MIDI cabels by myself?  I want to connect them to
>my Mac's 8pin Printer port.

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Graham Hint » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 02:57:06

Quote:>So, can anyone help me to make MIDI cabels by myself?  I want to connect them to
>my Mac's 8pin Printer port.

You just need a standard Mac MiniDIN8 serial printer cable. If you really
want to solder one up yourself the details are on:
http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/mac/mac_if.html

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Laurence Payn » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:12:12

>>So, can anyone help me to make MIDI cabels by myself?  I want to connect them to
>>my Mac's 8pin Printer port.

>You just need a standard Mac MiniDIN8 serial printer cable. If you really
>want to solder one up yourself the details are on:
>http://www.hinton.demon.co.uk/mac/mac_if.html

This page seems to offer schematics for a build-it-yourself midi port,
or for a simple cable incorporating two resistors that only works on a
special serial interface card.   Or am I misunderstanding?

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Graham Hint » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:26:23

>This page seems to offer schematics for a build-it-yourself midi port,
>or for a simple cable incorporating two resistors that only works on a
>special serial interface card.   Or am I misunderstanding?

You appear to misunderstand that a Mac is not like a PC and a Mac Printer
port is not like a PC Printer port.
Everything to connect a MIDI synthesizer to a Mac serial port is on this
page, as the original poster requested. Whether it needs an interface or a
printer cable for the modules that have a direct connection.

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Laurence Payn » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:58:00

Quote:>>This page seems to offer schematics for a build-it-yourself midi port,
>>or for a simple cable incorporating two resistors that only works on a
>>special serial interface card.   Or am I misunderstanding?

>You appear to misunderstand that a Mac is not like a PC and a Mac Printer
>port is not like a PC Printer port.
>Everything to connect a MIDI synthesizer to a Mac serial port is on this
>page, as the original poster requested. Whether it needs an interface or a
>printer cable for the modules that have a direct connection.

Quotes from the web site:
"Apple's bombshell in 1999 was to throw away asynchronous serial
communications altogether and to tell everybody to use USB instead -
which although adequate for computer devices, like mice and printers,
is of no use for serious MIDI. USB suffers from a granularity of 1ms,
a high overhead for small packets and a bus shared with other devices,
hardly ideal if external clocks or timecode synchronisation are
required as well. "

"Now MegaWolf Inc. have introduced the Romulus & Remus PCI Serial Port
Cards with highly specified UARTs capable of sustaining high data
rates. No Macintosh MIDI software really uses this to the full. The
best is FreeMIDI which can achieve an accuracy between ports of within
0.5ms, tested with 8 Standard Interfaces, one per track under ProTools
5LE. OMS comes a poor second, dropping to 1ms with only two Standard
Interfaces"

"Note that this interface only works with Romulus/Remus serial ports
and not the normal Macintosh Printer or Modem ports as they require a
clock to be provided as well. Also, the maximum combined length of the
serial cable and any attached MIDI cables should not exceed 15 metres.
Longer runs can be achieved by reducing the two resistor values down
to a minimum of 270 ohms, but do not reduce by more than necessary as
you will be driving more current through the MIDI In circuitry of your
instruments. "
The simple cable referred to in the last quote above requires an
add-on serial card?  That's what it says, I think?

The questioner was hoping to be able to get midi bt attaching a simple
cable to a standard Mac port.  I see nothing on the site to suggest
this is possible.

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Graham Hint » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 01:23:15

>The questioner was hoping to be able to get midi bt attaching a simple
>cable to a standard Mac port.  I see nothing on the site to suggest
>this is possible.

Everything to interface a Macintosh or Power Macintosh to MIDI is on the
web page I gave. Later models require extra hardware.

As a Printer port was mentioned the Mac in question is an older type. If
the synthesizer is the type with a MiniDIN 8 "host port" it will require
just a serial "printer" cable which is detailed on that page. (Cables to go
with that sort are usually sold as if they are something special at a high
price, when they are just a normal Mac cable.) If the synthesizer has
standard MIDI connectors it will require a serial cable, a "standard" Mac
MIDI interface and a MIDI cable, all of which are detailed on the same
page.

There are three different interface designs on that page for different
purposes and you are zeroing in on the wrong diagram.

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Oleg V. Melniko » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:09:54

> The simple cable referred to in the last quote above requires an
> add-on serial card?  That's what it says, I think?

> The questioner was hoping to be able to get midi bt attaching a simple
> cable to a standard Mac port.  I see nothing on the site to suggest
> this is possible.

Yes, that was my question.  But it seams written there at the web site that
9-pin cable required for MIDI, but Printer port has only 8-pin plug.  Or am I
misunderstanding anything?  Then what do I need?  Is MIDI Interface card
necessary?  It is not easy to bye in my country.

I thought MIDI connection takes only 3 or maximum 5 pins.

Another thing I may ask:  my Yamaha synthesizer has "To host" connection with
Mac support, but I don't know what cable I may use in this case to connect it to
Mac.
--

Post by Oleg V. Melniko » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:12:35

> Another thing I may ask:  my Yamaha synthesizer has "To host" connection with

correction: I meant "To Host" port (plug) at synth which gives possibility to make
fast connections.  But what is yet necessary for that?
--
With the love of Jesus in my heart,    Oleg Melnikov.
          (380-44) 441-10-18   ICQ#36935094

MIDI Cabel for Mac

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 04:45:40

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 13:12:35 +0300, "Oleg V. Melnikov"

>> Another thing I may ask:  my Yamaha synthesizer has "To host" connection with

>correction: I meant "To Host" port (plug) at synth which gives possibility to make
>fast connections.  But what is yet necessary for that?

  The usual "To Host" cable is a serial cable.  Check the synth manual
to see what it needs -- sometimes, it is just a standard serial cable
with the right connectors, others require special wiring.  Yamaha for
sure sells the right cables for its own gear.

  If your Mac has no 5-pin DIN MIDI cable (nor an 8 or 9 to two (or
more) 5 pin MIDI cables) connector, you'll need to get an appropriate
MIDI adapter/interface for it.  The easiest method is finding a local
music store which knows about that gear.  Online, you can usually find
a place to buy the things *if* you know what you need.  Because the
various machines have different interface requirements, it is darn
hard to give one single answer (applies on PCs too).
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>

1. O5R/W editor for Mac (Mac Ed)

My midi configuration is
 DX7 -----  midi translator
midi out    midi in

O5R/w -----  midi translator
midi in      midi out
This config works with OK with cubase, finale and so on.

I tried with and without Korg Midi driver (in such case running with OMS
2.0) . The same problems.
I can send and transmit :The LSD of the Korg is controlled by Mac ed)
but at each time I modifiy something I've got the midi  error message
even if later, when I click over the message  the korg take into account
what I've modified. (strange isn'it?)
The only page that I can't modify anything is Global,Drum and
Multi-mode. (The problem is maybe there)
What can I do?
Thanks
Ricardo.

2. FS: Pilot 512k memory $40

3. MIDI-Files directly to Mac MIDI interface?

4. Need psiwin2.3 for psion revo

5. Mac Patchbay,MIDI Manager,Apple MIDI Driver

6. Bitmap -> Font

7. Wanted: converter midi type 0 into midi type 1 for MAC

8. Real Time Systems Testing

9. Mac Midi --> PC Midi

10. Mac USB PCI MIDI Question

11. Most common/popular USB midi keyb for Mac OS X?