Yamaha PSR540 Keyboard--Beginners questions

Yamaha PSR540 Keyboard--Beginners questions

Post by Joan » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:31:09

Can the PSR 540 record separate parts and then mix them for playback. I'm a
beginner in the operation of my Yamaha keyboard. I have a Midi cable to
connect to my Dell computer in case I need software to do this with. I know
how to record separate Midi songs on floppy using the 540 but not how to
combine them.

Is this the forum to ask questions of this kind, or is there another forum
available?

Yamaha PSR540 Keyboard--Beginners questions

Post by JBSeattl » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 00:26:30

You will need some software for the computer.  The best deal around is
Powertracks from www.pgmusic.com
You record a track/channel at a time and mix using the software.
PT comes with a tutorial and there is online chat help from PG--PG was
founded by musicians, not nerds.
I haven't worked with a setup lately with the PSR540 and do not recall if it
plays back Type 0 or Type 1 midi but it makes little difference since PT
will save to both.  As I recall it does both 0 and 1.  In addition, it plays
General Midi and the XG extension instruments from Yamaha and Powertracks
has XG instrument definitions to get all of your instruments available in
the software.
Essentially you record right to the software, mix, listen and then make your
disks for taking the keyboard out to play without the computer hooked up.
PT is only $29US and only the expensive sequencers like Cakewalk and Cubase
rival it.
Enjoy, it is a great little keyboard and www.yamaha.com has manuals and user
groups on their sit.
JB

Quote:> Can the PSR 540 record separate parts and then mix them for playback. I'm
> beginner in the operation of my Yamaha keyboard. I have a Midi cable to
> connect to my Dell computer in case I need software to do this with. I
know
> how to record separate Midi songs on floppy using the 540 but not how to
> combine them.

> Is this the forum to ask questions of this kind, or is there another forum
> available?

Yamaha PSR540 Keyboard--Beginners questions

Post by Joan » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 21:04:09

JB,

    I saw the Power Tracks Pro Audio for $49. Can I get it somewhere for
$29?

Yamaha PSR540 Keyboard--Beginners questions

Post by JBSeattl » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:44:25

Looks like PGMusic has changed its pricing and is now charging more for
first time purchases.  Sorry, haven't kept up since upgrading.
Still a better deal than anything else out there.  Still much less expensive
than Cakewalk Home Studio in the cut down version for $129 for a first time
user.
There were some significant changes in PT8, the latest version, the most
significant was it is now a full 32bit system and compatible with Windows
XP.
There are some shareware and freeware midi sequencers out there but then you
take the chance of getting free and shared bugs and support and tutorials
are usually non-existent.
Just goto www.pgmusic.com and ask about PT online by clicking on Live Help.
It should come just about ready to go for your Yammie since it has the
standard GM plus XG extensions and GS and XG extension patch maps are
standard now in PT without even loading a special patchmap.
You will love the Big Piano View for learning various riffs for keyboard as
well as the chord chart that interprets the chords in a midi file as it
plays.
It is also a full audio recording system as well.
On the other hand Cakewalk has a specific Instrument Definition for your
540.
It's kind of get  decent software sequencer and stick with it because each
one has its little quirks.  There is a learning curve and I think PT is the
shortest one.
I think PT is a bit more Roland Biased and Cakewalk is kind of neutral.
PG also has a forum where you can ask other users how they have their PSR
setup with Powertracks or Band in a Box.
JB

Quote:> JB,

>     I saw the Power Tracks Pro Audio for $49. Can I get it somewhere for
> $29?

1. beginners question re. buying keyboard/software

My son is showing an increasing interest in composing music. He plays
guitar but is familiar with keyboard use.

I have thought of buying him a midi compatible keyboard and believe that
there is software available which can convert what is played on the k/b
into notation on standard staves. Am I correct. Am I going to have to
buy something like Sibelius to achieve this? (Noteworthy Composer which
I have come across appears to not be able to interpret timing?). What
would be a suitable beginners keyboard with some degree of future
proofness? (I am in the UK but I guess that all the main brands would be
available both sides of the pond.) You folks on c.m.i seem to write a
lot about Cool Edit - would this be capable of doing what I/he wants?

Thanks for any responses.

--

2. LAN Technology Scorecard (Most recent update: 9/27/96)

3. Yamaha PSR540

4. 19.12 mh-e/fast font lock problem

5. Beginners question about Keyboard & midi

6. Win95 driver for Summa MicroGrid II????

7. Yamaha VL-70M/keyboard controller question

8. Help!! Please check my site!

9. Beginner Questions.... Patience required!

10. Questions from beginner

11. rank beginner questions

12. Beginner's question on MIDIs

13. Beginner Question