best pair of reference monitors?

Post by Mike Peak » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The Alesis M1s are now superceded by the
Monitor One Actives, which list at $650.00.
They're much better than the original M1s,
being flat to less than +/-2dB, more
typically to a bit over +/-1. You'll get
an accurate view of what you're doing
through them. I know they're more than
what you were asking about, but since
they have power amps in them, that saves
you a few bucks. The KRK Kroks are a
good deal at their price point as well,
but suffer from slightly hyped bass.

As to what the best pair of reference
monitors are, that's a loaded and
sometimes highly personal question.
Some people have learned to record and
mix on NS10s, which are far from accurate
(or good sounding, IMO). Others prefer
$5000.00 B&W 501s (such as Nakamichi).
The best answer is to buy what your
ears prefer, and learn to use them
as you would any other tool. Always
reference your work on other sets of
speakers, and in your car stereo. If
you can, have two or three sets of
speakers around, and mix to what sounds
best on all three.

Easier,

Mike
alesis synthesizer group

best pair of reference monitors?

Post by Adam Levi » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The Alesis M1s are now superceded by the
> Monitor One Actives, which list at $650.00.

Superceded?  I thought they were both going to stay around for a
while.  Some people actually like passive monitors...

Quote:> you a few bucks. The KRK Kroks are a
> good deal at their price point as well,
> but suffer from slightly hyped bass.

You (the original poster) should also look at the Event 20/20's and
Tannoy Reveals -- the Reveals are supposed to be really good.

-Adam
--
Rutherford, NJ USA  Free speech online! _/
http://westnet.com/~levins/    ________/     In the Beginning