I have some questions about timidity.

Post by Jikang Pa » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:49:50

Hi. Everyone.
I'm glad to meet you guys at here. :)

The timidity is a great application on the conversion from midi to
wav.
Although I have two critical problems on that in my case.

One thing is the playing time of the wav that the timidity converted
is longer than that of the midi.
Some slient sound just take a second at the end of wav.
For example, if the playing time of the midi is 7 seconds, that of the
wav was converted by timidity is 8 seconds with soundless a second at
the end of file.
That's critical for me. Because the wav would be used as the bell
sound in the cell phone, I should make the wav loop continuously. So
any soundless seconds will make the bell sound harsh.
Anyone know why this happens? How can I fix it?

Other thing is that conversion from midi to wav using timidity with
eawpats is useless in my case.
Actually what I want to do is the conversion from midi to SMAF.  SMAF
is the some format of the sound file from YAMAHA.
That is used as the bell sound in the cell phone. The problem is SMAF
only can be converted from the some limited wav type.
The limitation of the wav is 16bit, Mono, 4000hz or 8000hz sampling
frequency. As the timidity command line, it is "timidity -Ow1M -s
8000(4000) test.mid". But the convesion from midi with those options
make the wav with noises. The low quality wav would make the low
quality bell in the cell phone in my case. That is the problem. I
think the reason is eawpats was consist of high quality sound samples.
Those high quality samples with 8000hz(4000hz) conversion is supposed
to lose itself.  So I need some simple sound sample library like
eawpats supports 8000hz(4000hz) conversion without noises of sound. It
doesn't need to fantastic sound like eawpats becaues it will be used
as the bell sound in the cell phone.
Anyone know the solution on it?

Or Is there some other mid to wav library or command line executable
(window base) to suitable my case?
I need a programmable library or executable for window to support
multiple mid to wav conversion.

Any opinion would be great.

Best Regards.

Post by Emiliano Grill » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 04:17:34

> The timidity is a great application on the conversion from midi to
> wav.

You have touched the wonders of free software ;)

[SNIP]

Quote:> Anyone know why this happens? How can I fix it?

Do't know why, but you can strip the unwanted silence with any audio
editor. A good choice could be audacity (http://audacity.sf.net) - it's
free software!

[SNIP]

Quote:> Anyone know the solution on it?

You can try to convert at full resolution and then resample with an audio
editor (e.g. audacity)

Quote:> Any opinion would be great.

HTH
--