reading a MIDI file in java

Post by Gre » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 05:23:36

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to read a MIDI file from
java.  I'm a student working on a project that involves music and
graphics, and I need info such as amplitude, velocity, attack, decay,
instrument, volume, etc. The more info pertaining to the music the
better.  But at this point I will take what I can get.  I just found
 http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm
which looks like it will be a lot of help.  However, I still haven't
figured out how to look at the actual data of any given midi file.  So
what I am looking for is:

1) I want to look at the data of any (real) midi file
2) understand the data (which I think the website above might explain
pretty well)
3) a good source for java code that relates to/reads a midi file

Also, I want to point out that I don't want to make music.  I only
want to read a music file.  So, if you can help me in anyway, that
would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Greg

PS.  Actual java code would be be great.

reading a MIDI file in java

Post by Kenny Chaffi » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:53:17

Quote:> I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to read a MIDI file from
> java.  I'm a student working on a project that involves music and
> graphics, and I need info such as amplitude, velocity, attack, decay,
> instrument, volume, etc. The more info pertaining to the music the
> better.  But at this point I will take what I can get.  I just found
>  http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/midispec.htm
> which looks like it will be a lot of help.  However, I still haven't
> figured out how to look at the actual data of any given midi file.  So
> what I am looking for is:

> 1) I want to look at the data of any (real) midi file
> 2) understand the data (which I think the website above might explain
> pretty well)
> 3) a good source for java code that relates to/reads a midi file

> Also, I want to point out that I don't want to make music.  I only
> want to read a music file.  So, if you can help me in anyway, that
> would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

> Greg

> PS.  Actual java code would be be great.

The JMF -- Java Media Framework is and extension to the java language
that works with Midi (among other Audio/Video formats) check it out at
http://java.sun.com/

You can also read/write files directly with core java if that's really
what you want to do.

KAC
--
Kenny A. Chaffin