Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

Post by Barry Graha » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a reasonably priced soft-synth that incorporates a
> fine tuning feature, such as setting A=441 Hz, or A=442 Hz, and so
> on... or perhaps a global adjustment for + or - a fixed number of
> cents?

VSC-88 will do that.

Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

Post by Michael Moor » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

There is  a VSC-88H-3 out for $60 by Roland with 900 sounds.

> Thanks for the reply Barry...  I have VSC-88 v2.1a installed, but
> don't see a way to accomplish this in the VSC-88 control panel.  I
> understand that one can perhaps set fine tuning via a SYSEX message
> sent to VSC-88, but could you elaborate a bit on any other specific
> provisions that you know of  for setting fine tuning?  I got this
> version as a freebie with another piece of Roland software, and there
> was no manual on the VSC-88... The other software just uses it for
> playback and controls it internally, eventhough the VSC-88 control
> panel is available through the system tray, and it is available as an
> output device for any other application.   Are you possibly refering
> to a  later version that may have provisions in the interface to do
> this directly through some setting?

> On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:35:12 +1000, "Barry Graham"

> >> Does anyone know of a reasonably priced soft-synth that incorporates a
> >> fine tuning feature, such as setting A=441 Hz, or A=442 Hz, and so
> >> on... or perhaps a global adjustment for + or - a fixed number of
> >> cents?

> >VSC-88 will do that.

Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for the reply Barry...  I have VSC-88 v2.1a installed, but
>don't see a way to accomplish this in the VSC-88 control panel.  I
>understand that one can perhaps set fine tuning via a SYSEX message
>sent to VSC-88, but could you elaborate a bit on any other specific
>provisions that you know of  for setting fine tuning?  I got this
>version as a freebie with another piece of Roland software, and there
>was no manual on the VSC-88... The other software just uses it for
>playback and controls it internally, eventhough the VSC-88 control
>panel is available through the system tray, and it is available as an
>output device for any other application.   Are you possibly refering
>to a  later version that may have provisions in the interface to do
>this directly through some setting?

  Both the VSC-88 and Yamaha's SY50/100XG support the RPN for master
tuning and sysex to set master tuning, and also, microtuning per key
on the scale.  This isn't an option in the software driver, but a
feature used in a MIDI file itself.  You will need to edit any file
which you want to use alternative tuning on in order for it to apply.
Both Yamaha and Roland use very similar structures for the sysex, but
the actual commands are different.  The data sections are
interchangeable, which means you can work out some custom tuning sets,
and easily make both Roland and Yamaha versions which will work.  But
since Yamaha XG softsynth can respond to Roland sysex, it is often
easier to just do everything as Roland GS, if all you are looking for
is the alternative tuning.

You could also use a player application which is able to issue custom
sysex, along with files which lack resets which would restore the
default settings.

  I know that there is online docs someplace for the VSC-88 including
RPNs and sysex.  Cakewalk (at least as of version 9.0) supports the
master tuning RPN as a named option, which makes that one easy to find
and use if your software knows of it (RPNs are defined for use on all
synths, though not everyone will respond to them).

  Another easier option is to find the Roland GS visual editor, SC
Edit, or another similar application which provides a visual interface
for the Sound Canvas synths, and use that to make your selections.  It
is much easier to do that than to write out controllers and sysex
manually (especially, the necessary checksum calculations for sysex).
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>

Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

Post by JB/Seattl » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You may also want to goto http://www.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/ and get
Mike LeVoi's XG/GS Sysex Editor and it has all the sysex for fine tuning
already done and you can just copy and paste.
JB

> Thanks for the info Jeffery... This clears up a lot of questions and
> has me steered in the right direction.

> Take care,
> Don

> On Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:59:25 -0600, Jeffery S. Jones

> >  Both the VSC-88 and Yamaha's SY50/100XG support the RPN for master
> >tuning and sysex to set master tuning, and also, microtuning per key
> >on the scale.

> Big snip

Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

Post by JB/Seattl » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

XG/GS Sysex is the main program on the site.  It has all the sysex stings
listed in the Program for both XG and GS.  You simply load the XG file into
the program and scroll thru the strings until you get the one you want.
Then you can copy and paste it into your sequencer.  If you use Cakewalk,
then you can paste the string as a bank or as data right into the Event List
of the file.
I have used his program for some years now.  It is well designed and causes
no DLL conflicts in Windows 9x.
If you are looking for a freebe program that does all this, I don't have a
recommendation.
JB

> Thanks JB... I took a look at the site, but can't find anything there
> by this exact name.  There are so many programs there that it is a bit
> difficult for me to determine exactly which one you are recommending.
> Could you provide a bit more specific reference?  Sorry to be a such a
> pain :-)

> Don

> >You may also want to goto http://www.modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi/ and
get
> >Mike LeVoi's XG/GS Sysex Editor and it has all the sysex for fine tuning
> >already done and you can just copy and paste.
> >JB

Soft-Synth Fine Tuning

Post by Mike Le Vo » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00

XG/GS SYSEX Decoder will send SYSEX to any synth module - I have the VSC-88
and the SYXG100 - it works fine with them :-) After all, these are just
MIDI DEVICES that appear in Control Panel, Multimedia - there is nothing
special about them. If you think about it, me sending SYSEX to them is no
different from playing a MID file with SYSEX included.

Specimen SYSEX is supplied for XG and GS modules. You can cut and paste.
Download the program and play with it - it is shareware so you can trial for
60 days for free.

In your other message, you talk about controlling channel volume:

(a) why don't you want to use CC messages in the MID file to do this?
(b) or are you talking about SYSEX to control overall volume levels?
(c) or do you want to do this while the file is playing?

Anyway, either way it can be done. To do (b), use XG/GS MIDI Jukebox. To do
(c), use XG/GS MIDI Monitor. To do (a), edit the MID file :) (b) and (c)
come packaged with XG/GS SYSEX Decoder.

BTW Neither the VSC-88 nor the SYXG100 is a multiclient MIDI Device - you
will need Hubi's Loopback cable (see my web site) or preferably MIDI-OX's
driver called MIDI YOKE (see the MIDI-OX web site) to allow you to "pipe"
MIDI messages to the soft synth from two programs at once.

Cheers,

Mike Le Voi
Author of VBSYX - The XG/GS SYSEX Encoder/Decoder for Windows
Visit my GS-XG-AWE MIDI Home Page: http://modemss.brisnet.org.au/~mlevoi