Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Federico Pivett » Wed, 01 May 2002 20:14:14



Hi Everyone. I am interested in purchasing Finale or Sibelius. I am a
professional pianist and I am interested in beginning writing some
music, mostly jazz lead sheets, and perhaps some chamber music pieces. I
have heard that Sibelius is a little asier to use than Finale, although
since I have no experience on the subject I can not vouch for that. I am
a Mac user running sistem 9.0.4. Thanks in advance.. Fred
 
 
 

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Benoit Morrissett » Thu, 02 May 2002 05:08:47


Finale is a product for music PUBLISHER while Sibelius is for
MUSICIANS.  The user interface of Finale is absolutely complicated;
unless you think in terms of typesetting etc...  while Sibelius
interface consist of musical items, not typesetting terms.

I've tried them all and the easiest to use (for a musician) is Encore
( www.gvox.com ).  The only notation software i know in italian (and
french, german etc) is Opus and Vivaldi by an italian company
www.allegroassai.com.  Also very intuitive tu use.

If you can work with less than 16 staves per system you can go a
cheaper route with MusicTime by GVox or Amadeus by AllegroAssai.  They
have most of the functionality of ther big brothers but they are
cheapers!

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:14:14 GMT, Federico Pivetta


>Hi Everyone. I am interested in purchasing Finale or Sibelius. I am a
>professional pianist and I am interested in beginning writing some
>music, mostly jazz lead sheets, and perhaps some chamber music pieces. I
>have heard that Sibelius is a little asier to use than Finale, although
>since I have no experience on the subject I can not vouch for that. I am
>a Mac user running sistem 9.0.4. Thanks in advance.. Fred


 
 
 

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Barry Grah » Thu, 02 May 2002 11:15:29


> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:14:14 GMT, Federico Pivetta

> >Hi Everyone. I am interested in purchasing Finale or Sibelius. I am a
> >professional pianist and I am interested in beginning writing some
> >music, mostly jazz lead sheets, and perhaps some chamber music pieces.

They are both expensive pieces of software.
I enquired about Sibelius last week and was quoted $1345 AUS (approx
$725 US) for that package.
I use Geniesoft (ex Cakewalk) Scorewriter - currently $57 US. (big
difference)!
(Get a demo at www.geniesoft.biz )
Scorewriter would be fine for what you require.
I use it to arrange, score and print big band arrangements.
Unless you are intending to publish professionally the high price of
the 'leading packages'is not justified.(IMHO)
 
 
 

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Keenan Teyloun » Sun, 05 May 2002 09:18:54


Barry
The silent protest to high prices are the MP3 sites like Kaaza
(www.kazaa.com), popular for MP3 music, but also
full (not demo) software.  Finale 2001 is around 32MB.

Cheers
Keenan


> > On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:14:14 GMT, Federico Pivetta

> > >Hi Everyone. I am interested in purchasing Finale or Sibelius. I am a
> > >professional pianist and I am interested in beginning writing some
> > >music, mostly jazz lead sheets, and perhaps some chamber music pieces.

> They are both expensive pieces of software.
> I enquired about Sibelius last week and was quoted $1345 AUS (approx
> $725 US) for that package.
> I use Geniesoft (ex Cakewalk) Scorewriter - currently $57 US. (big
> difference)!
> (Get a demo at www.geniesoft.biz )
> Scorewriter would be fine for what you require.
> I use it to arrange, score and print big band arrangements.
> Unless you are intending to publish professionally the high price of
> the 'leading packages'is not justified.(IMHO)

 
 
 

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Barry Graha » Sun, 05 May 2002 10:17:24



> The silent protest to high prices are the MP3 sites like
Kaaza
> (www.kazaa.com), popular for MP3 music, but also
> full (not demo) software.

Thanks but I prefer to use software I can afford rather than
steal.

--
Barry Graham
Top Brass Events Band
Melbourne, Australia

 
 
 

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Benoit Morrissett » Sun, 05 May 2002 11:31:21




>> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:14:14 GMT, Federico Pivetta

>> >Hi Everyone. I am interested in purchasing Finale or Sibelius. I am a
>> >professional pianist and I am interested in beginning writing some
>> >music, mostly jazz lead sheets, and perhaps some chamber music pieces.

>They are both expensive pieces of software.
>I enquired about Sibelius last week and was quoted $1345 AUS (approx
>$725 US) for that package.
>I use Geniesoft (ex Cakewalk) Scorewriter - currently $57 US. (big
>difference)!
>(Get a demo at www.geniesoft.biz )
>Scorewriter would be fine for what you require.

I have tried Overture and the main problem i found ( i write scores
only for choirs and piano) is that you cannot choose exactly where to
"turn the page".  Overture does all the page layout for you
automaticaly...  and sometimes it is wrong!   Also it does'nt work
very well with lyrics.  I still prefer Encore and Opus.

Quote:>I use it to arrange, score and print big band arrangements.
>Unless you are intending to publish professionally the high price of
>the 'leading packages'is not justified.(IMHO)

I agree absolutly.  Take a look at MusicTime and Amadeus.  Easy and
powerfull enough for the rest of us!
 
 
 

Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

Post by Barry Graha » Sun, 05 May 2002 22:07:13




Quote:> I have tried Overture and the main problem i found ( i
write scores
> only for choirs and piano) is that you cannot choose
exactly where to
> "turn the page".  Overture does all the page layout for
you
> automaticaly...  and sometimes it is wrong!

I can't speak for Overture (another overpriced package IMO).
But your page turns are not a problem in Scorewriter.
You can increase/decrease systems on a page and add/subtract
measures in a system.
Sure it will do the layout automatically but you have the
tools above to tailor the layout to your needs.
As for the lyrics I write parts for our vocalists and vocal
group without too much hassle for the price.
--
Barry Graham
Top Brass Events Band
Melbourne, Australia
 
 
 

1. Finale 2002 question: align midi playback with notation

I have used the hypersrcibe feature to play from my midi keyboard, the notes
have appeard on the screen ok, however whn I playback, I still get my old
'faulty human' recording, not one which matches the note on the screen
perfectly (that is, having been fixed up).

Where is the 'align playback' feature from Encore?

Cheers

2. Font-formats

3. Finale 2002 Query

4. bulleted lists problem

5. Coda Finale 2002 for Win9x/NT $210

6. Mime aware tools

7. Finale 2002?

8. character speed

9. Qestion on Finale 2002: hearing your midi keyboard play your Soundblaster while recording

10. Assistance with Finale 2002 problem - playback not working

11. Finale 2002 entry - editing notes after entry

12. finale 2002 - propellerhead reason - hubi

13. Sibelius going cheap for Finale/Encore users