Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by KUBICE » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have heard that there is a device for the guitar that works out what note
is being played, and then can put these notes onto a computer the same way
as a midi keyboard. Does it work? How much?

Chuck.

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by tall.. » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I just went to altavista (www.altavista.com) and did a search on "guitar
controller".  It came back with 8 "pages" of links for midi controllers.
Check it out; you should find what you're looking for that way.

I can't imagine that any type of converter would be too accurate though.
It's like you're looking for a wave (analog) to midi converter; the two
formats are like apples and oranges, from what I understand from reading
around on the web.

Tom

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?c ****-
 Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by Michael Gul » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I have heard that there is a device for the guitar that works out what note
> is being played, and then can put these notes onto a computer the same way
> as a midi keyboard. Does it work? How much?

MIDI guitars can do this.

As an example, go to the Frank Zappa MIDI page
http://rampages.onramp.net/%7Echeepnis/zappamid.html and search
for the song Grand Wazoo. This is an Internet jam session with
different "performers" soloing on different tracks. The guitar
solos were input from MIDI guitar rather than from a keyboard.

They are somewhat expensive.

--
To reply remove MORESPAM

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by Florian Reite » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

A software package called G-VOX GUITAR is able to do:

http://www.soton.de/g-vox.html

includes an adapter whoich you can mount on Your
guitar (special mounting kit for fender guitars included)
and connect via serial port to Your computer.

Pretty good (some magazines tell this) and cheep
(~300DM) solution.

Cu, Florian

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by PJ » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Another link to try.............

Quote:>http://home.epix.net/~joelc/midi_git.html

Regards
PJ

--
Anti Spam
To reply directly take out Noads

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by Nick Whi » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:07:29 +0200, "Florian Reiter"

>A software package called G-VOX GUITAR is able to do:

>http://www.soton.de/g-vox.html

>includes an adapter whoich you can mount on Your
>guitar (special mounting kit for fender guitars included)
>and connect via serial port to Your computer.

>Pretty good (some magazines tell this) and cheep
>(~300DM) solution.

Do we know anyone who has actually USED it? and has had pretty good
results? I have not heard any. I have seen a few who were less than
happy, in months of reading this ng

I have read magazine articles about, for instance, pitch to MIDI
programmes that said it works. I tried the product and it was garbage.

Proceed with caution.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

please remove ns from my header email address to reply
....damn spam

    !!
   <")
   _/ )
   (   )
  _//- \__/

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by IMSys I » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

As an alternative to a guitar midi controller such as GVOX, I suggest you give
wave-to-midi conversion software a try.

intelliScore can take a polyphonic wave recording, figure out the notes,
chords, and key, and write them to a midi file suitable for playback, editing,
and notation.  This program has been in beta testing in this newsgroup over the
last two years and has just been released.

Most musicians who've tried intelliScore said they found it useful.  To see if
intelliScore works for you, you can visit http://www.intelliscore.net and
download a free trial version.

Guitar notes to MIDI.

Post by Fata » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:White) writes:

>Proceed with caution.

And include some reading on the Axon AX-100 at

www.musicindustries.com

and, yes, I'm the product manager.

Thanks,

Sean P. O'Connor
MIDI Product Manager, USA
Music Industries Corporation

1. Guitars in Cakewalk (strumming and note length)

At first I was excited about the 'fretview' in Cakewalk 9, underneath
the score window. But now I think it's just a nice gadget for guitar
players: easy to draw realistic chords into the sequencer, but that's
it. The thing is: it isn't intelligent. When I draw a whole note, let's
say an E on the D string and, half a note after that, another whole
note, for example an F on the D string, the E still sounds on! On a real
guitar that's of course not possible. Also there is no way to strum the
strings: all strings are plucked at one time, as if it is a piano. So I
got 3 questions:

1. Is there a simple way to disable notes on the same string to sound
on, making things more realistic?
2. Is there an easy way to create strums (that's after all what makes a
guitar chord a guitar chord instead of a piano chord)?
3. Is there a way to assign a different midi channels to each string?
Hardware guitar synths can direct every string to another channel. Can
you do this the other way around to? That way I could use quantize (I
think) to disable notes overlapping each other on one string (as a
solution to my first question) AND I could change the timing of each
channel in order to create strumming guitars (question 2).

Or does anyone know another porgram that could help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

2. SS10 upgrading questions - what to do with two spare 51s?

3. Not midi guitar, but midi for guitar players....

4. how to set default screen resolution?

5. How to slide a note up to another note?

6. Pcode your file and all the functions it calls

7. "Hanging" notes and absent notes

8. Updates to CodeWarrior Pro Xerces XML Parser Projects

9. Recommended MIDI Kbd, MIDI Drums, MIDI Guitar, PC Interface?

10. Incorrect MIDI Notes

11. are drum note names specific to MIDI bank or patch?

12. Is there a pitch-to-MIDI or note name indicator?