Ques. about my net providers policy on midi files

Ques. about my net providers policy on midi files

Post by Stan Mulde » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

My Internet provider (*gate) claims that midi files waste bandwidth.
Is it just me, or does this not make any sense at all? They allow
RealAudio, .wav files, Shockwave, etc., but not midi files.

Here's the response I got from them:

"Our server does not allow transmission of midi files because of the
bandwidth they consume. We apologize for this inconvenience."

Any thoughts on how I might convince "Florida's Oldest Internet
Provider" that they are misguided in this policy? Caveat: they do allow
midi files if you have an extra shell account and put the midi files in
a user ftp area, but not from plain html directories.

Stan Mulder

Information Systems   -  University of South Florida, Lakeland
The New Steve Gadd Page    http://www.veryComputer.com/~smulder/sgadd/

Post by hand_of_oblivio » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

> My Internet provider (*gate) claims that midi files waste bandwidth.
> Is it just me, or does this not make any sense at all? They allow
> RealAudio, .wav files, Shockwave, etc., but not midi files.
> Here's the response I got from them:
> "Our server does not allow transmission of midi files because of the
> bandwidth they consume. We apologize for this inconvenience."
> Any thoughts on how I might convince "Florida's Oldest Internet
> Provider" that they are misguided in this policy? Caveat: they do allow
> midi files if you have an extra shell account and put the midi files in
> a user ftp area, but not from plain html directories.
> Stan Mulder

if your sending the file just rename the file leave the .mid off and
replace with .txt tell whoever receives it to renames it again back
 with the .mid the isp wont know the difference.Or better yet use pkzip
or some other compression program then send it. I can't think of a
reason why they don't like midi files. Whoever you talk to probaly
doesnt know what a midi files is. You might wanna ask how a 100K
midi files waste more space then a 1 meg wav file or jpg file.

Post by Note » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

>My Internet provider (*gate) claims that midi files waste bandwidth.
>Is it just me, or does this not make any sense at all? They allow
>RealAudio, .wav files, Shockwave, etc., but not midi files.

>Here's the response I got from them:

>"Our server does not allow transmission of midi files because of the
>bandwidth they consume. We apologize for this inconvenience."

>Any thoughts on how I might convince "Florida's Oldest Internet
>Provider" that they are misguided in this policy? Caveat: they do allow
>midi files if you have an extra shell account and put the midi files in
>a user ftp area, but not from plain html directories.

>Stan Mulder

>--

>Information Systems   -  University of South Florida, Lakeland
>The New Steve Gadd Page    http://www.veryComputer.com/~smulder/sgadd/

MIDI files are pretty small compared to a wav file. Send them a song
in WAV format and send them the same song in MIDI format and they will
have to eat their words.

Are you trying to post the MIDI files on a homepage or just mail them?
If you are trying to email them, I don't think *gate will know the
difference.

Although I get my mail at AOL, I do have a *gate account and I
send MIDI files through them all the time.

If you are trying to put your MIDI files on your home page, why should
they care, they are going to give you 5MP (or howver much you rent)
and it should be up to you to use the space any way you choose (as
long as it is legal).

Also you might try comparing a MIDI file to a GIF file. No contest.

Check my website
http://www.veryComputer.com/
the close to 100 MIDI files and all the pages on that site consume
less than 8MB of Hard Disk at my server (AOL) and the size of the MIDI
files are posted on the home page - ranging from 16K to less than
100K.

Good luck

Bob
Bob "Notes" Norton
Owner, Norton Music

http://www.veryComputer.com/

One of the 500 best sites on the web according to "The Internet Guide Book"

FREE, pro quality MIDI files, (download all you want),
A MIDI file search engine. (you can search the net for a MIDI file),
Some of the best musician's links (IMHO),
Band-In-A-Box improvement software - FREE info and download(s),
A joke or two to brighten your day,
and some way cool, commercial stuff of interest to musicians

P.S. Help me run the counter up so that I can impress my friends ;-)

1. Truquillo para que no tengas que estar esas largas horas para ganar sólo 1$

Como lo oyes! Tan solo lo he descubierto con el radiofreecash, una compa?a
que paga por escuchar musica en internet. Para suscribirte pulsa el
siguiente link y pon mi ID (NAIMES) muy importante para entrar en la cadena
de referencias.

http://www.radiofreecash.com/register.asp?ref=NAIMES

-Una vez apuntado, debes abrir el radiobar y no sintonices ninguna musica
an.
-Luego cambia la hora en tu ordenador, vers como las del radiobar tambin
lo hacen. Luego desconectate y cierra el radiobar con la X de la ventana no
con el de la radio (muy importante) (ahora se ha quedado un cookie que ha
memorizado las horas que haba contado el radiobar).
-Vuelve a conectar y enciende el radiobar.... y... SORPRESA!!!!
NOTA: SI TIENES ALGUN MENSAJE DE ERROR, NO LO CIERRES!!!

2. Creating disk images from real disks

3. Where to buy midi-files on the Net?

4. OpenSSH_3.1p1 - problem forwarding a port

5. Standard MIDI Files on the Net - Nov 13, 1997 Update (18,000+ URLs)

6. Watcom C/C++ 11.0

7. HOW DO I STORE A MIDI FILE ON THE NET FOR EASY DOWNLOADING?

8. Jam live on the Net and make your own MIDI files

9. How to put MIDI files on the net?

10. MOUNTING MIDI FILES ON THE NET

11. "Standard MIDI Files on the Net Searches" has been updated to 37 searches

12. 30 new sites with MIDI Files added to SMF on the Net