Localsvr.exe from the BORK 4.5 Resource Kit

Localsvr.exe from the BORK 4.5 Resource Kit

Post by Richard Davie » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am using LOCALSVR.EXE to extract the NAL paths for an SMS 2.0 site, in
order to feed a modified version of this info to SETSMSSRV.EXE and get SMS
clients on the far side of slow WAN links to use their local DC as a CAP and
Logon Point, instead of randomly connecting to any in the NAL list.
I noticed, however, that when I run LOCALSVR.EXE against the site database,
it only returns the paths for the servers in the local subnet - a slight
problem when I have about 30 subnets to worry about. I'm assuming I can
modify and add entries quite happily by following the existing syntax of the
outout .INI file, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced
this.

Regards

Richard Davies

Localsvr.exe from the BORK 4.5 Resource Kit

Post by Jody Tomlinso » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi Richard,

I've been working through this problem for about 3 weeks now to no avail.
What I've noticed is that when the file generated by localsvr.exe is
modified manually, following the same syntax and being careful to increase
the # of site systems at the top of the list, client calls to setsmsvr.exe
fail with the error;

"No site systems section found in specified ini file"

I too have problems getting localsvr.exe to generate a complete list of
subnets and site systems.  It usually includes most of the site systems, but
seems to leave out various site components seemingly randomly (I have yet to
find rhyme or reason).

At any rate, I have put this issue "aside" for now and moved on...if I
discover anything more I will post my results to this newsgroup.

---
Jody Tomlinson
Merlin Consulting

>Hi,

>I am using LOCALSVR.EXE to extract the NAL paths for an SMS 2.0 site, in
>order to feed a modified version of this info to SETSMSSRV.EXE and get SMS
>clients on the far side of slow WAN links to use their local DC as a CAP
and
>Logon Point, instead of randomly connecting to any in the NAL list.
>I noticed, however, that when I run LOCALSVR.EXE against the site database,
>it only returns the paths for the servers in the local subnet - a slight
>problem when I have about 30 subnets to worry about. I'm assuming I can
>modify and add entries quite happily by following the existing syntax of
the
>outout .INI file, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced
>this.

>Regards

>Richard Davies

Localsvr.exe from the BORK 4.5 Resource Kit

Post by Richard Davie » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi Jody,

Thanks for your reply, despite the problems it leaves me with !

I am hoping you can give me your input on my understanding of how the
LOCALSVR and SETSMSVR should actually work, as the BORK documentation is
adequate without being specific.

In theory, running LOCALSVR against the SMS database should give you a
listing of all site systems and their respective roles. Assuming this works,
you then advertise SETSMSVR along with the .ini from LOCALSVR. So far, so
good. When the client runs the advertised program, SETSMSVR compares the IP
address (or subnet) of the client with NAL entries in the .ini file and sets
any that match as preferred servers on that client. This implies that only
servers in the same subnet as the SMS client can be set as preferred.

Ther problem seems to occur when you want to set preferred servers in
another subnet to the client - if you can't edit the .ini without causing
the errors you described (I tried this and got the same error as you in a
client in one subnet, but got the error 'No matches found' from the same
advertised program in another subnet !) then you can't REALLY set preferred
servers at all.
I have an instance where a local LAN contains several subnets, the clients
being on different subnets than the servers. As SETSMSVR sees no matches
between client IP and server IP in the .ini, it doesn't set any preferred
servers - this means that my clients can now do interesting things like try
to install NT SP5 from ANY Distribution Point, including those at the end of
64k WAN links !!
I would be very interested to hear from you if you make a breakthrough.

Regards

Richard Davies

> Hi Richard,

> I've been working through this problem for about 3 weeks now to no avail.
> What I've noticed is that when the file generated by localsvr.exe is
> modified manually, following the same syntax and being careful to increase
> the # of site systems at the top of the list, client calls to setsmsvr.exe
> fail with the error;

> "No site systems section found in specified ini file"

> I too have problems getting localsvr.exe to generate a complete list of
> subnets and site systems.  It usually includes most of the site systems,
but
> seems to leave out various site components seemingly randomly (I have yet
> find rhyme or reason).

> At any rate, I have put this issue "aside" for now and moved on...if I
> discover anything more I will post my results to this newsgroup.

> ---
> Jody Tomlinson
> Merlin Consulting

> >Hi,

> >I am using LOCALSVR.EXE to extract the NAL paths for an SMS 2.0 site, in
> >order to feed a modified version of this info to SETSMSSRV.EXE and get
SMS
> >clients on the far side of slow WAN links to use their local DC as a CAP
> and
> >Logon Point, instead of randomly connecting to any in the NAL list.
> >I noticed, however, that when I run LOCALSVR.EXE against the site
database,
> >it only returns the paths for the servers in the local subnet - a slight
> >problem when I have about 30 subnets to worry about. I'm assuming I can
> >modify and add entries quite happily by following the existing syntax of
> the
> >outout .INI file, but would like to know if anyone else has experienced
> >this.

> >Regards

> >Richard Davies

Localsvr.exe from the BORK 4.5 Resource Kit

Post by Shriman Guru » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Maybe I'm missing something here, but surely prefserv is the tool you
want?

prefserv /cap SSS /add MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=SSS"]\\SERVER\CAP_SSS\

prefserv /dp SSS /add MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=SSS"]\\SERVER\SMSPKGC$\

where SSS is your site, SERVER has the CAP you want and SMSPKGC$ is
the distribution point share.

shriman
Shriman Gurung
System Administrator
Data Connection Ltd.
http://www.datcon.co.uk/
--speaking for myself not my employer--

Localsvr.exe from the BORK 4.5 Resource Kit

Post by Jody Tomlinso » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Richard,

The answer to your delemna is to use the "prefserv.exe" utility rather than
the "localsvr.exe-setsmsvr.exe" pair.

Using prefserv you can specifiy the preferred DP that the client should use.
In your case, you would simply create a unique package and respective
adverti*t that sets the preferred DP to a NAL path that you can specify.

This is the verbage from BORK;
-------------
Use the Set Preferred Distribution Point and CAP tool to specify a preferred
distribution point and CAP for a client. The Set Preferred Distribution
Point and CAP tool places an NAL path in the correct registry location on a
client. When a client needs to access a distribution point or CAP, the
servers specified by this tool will be tried first.
-------------

i.e.   Your command line within the ad would look similar to the following;

prefserv MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=NNN","PREFERRED"]\\Server\ /dp NNN

where, NNN is your site code

P.S.  Prior to SMS2.0 SP1 you had to specify the entire share UNC path right
down to the package name (NNN00001b for example), however this issue has
been resolved and with SP1 you can simply specify the server...check on
article Q235873 for more details.

So there you have it...let me know how it goes Richard.

--------------
Jody Tomlinson
SMS MCP
Merlin Consulting

-------------------------------------

>Hi Jody,

>Thanks for your reply, despite the problems it leaves me with !

>I am hoping you can give me your input on my understanding of how the
>LOCALSVR and SETSMSVR should actually work, as the BORK documentation is
>adequate without being specific.

1. SBS 4.5 Resource Kit

I think I saw on MS SBS site that a 4.5 Resource Kit will
be available in or around August 99.  Can anyone confirm this.
Is there any equivalent out there now.

Brian S. Howlett
Lambert Architecture, PA

2. AHEM...Yo, Cory, Greg...

3. SBS 4.5 Resource Kit now on Amazon.com

4. ICD & Adspeed?

5. BackOffice 4.5 Resource Kit

6. CW11 Java to Win95

7. I received my SBS 4.5 Resource Kit today....

8. ftp

9. SMSBOOT.EXE and SMS resource kit

10. SU.EXE Resource Kit Application (URGENT)

11. SMSEXTRACT Problems (Back Office Resource Kit 4.5)

12. Resource Kit 4.5 - COMDLG32.OCX

13. Need a file from resource kit- Newuid.exe