rebuilt site server; how do regain caps and logon points?

rebuilt site server; how do regain caps and logon points?

Post by bob » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:16:24

Rebuilt my SMS server.  Previously was NT 4.0, sp6, SQL 7.0 member
server.  Now is 2k, SQL 2k.  Able to bring database back online.
Prior to my rebuild, I disabled logon and discovery, stopped NT logon
and SMS executive services on BDCs and removed associated registry
keys.  How do I get the BDCs to start acting as CAPs and logon points
again?  My original configuration had each of the install and
discovery methods turned on and after the rebuilt they remained like
that.  Do I need to disable and re-enable the logon and discovery
methods?
Thanks
Bobbo

rebuilt site server; how do regain caps and logon points?

Post by Marc » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 23:20:22

If your 'new' SMS Site does not automatically re-creates the Logon Points on
all DC's, you may consider disabling/enabling logon installation and logon
discovery.
(after disabling wait till all SMSLOGON shares are removed)
About the CAP roles, you have to specify them manually in SMS Administrator
Console under Site Systems.

Quote:> Rebuilt my SMS server.  Previously was NT 4.0, sp6, SQL 7.0 member
> server.  Now is 2k, SQL 2k.  Able to bring database back online.
> Prior to my rebuild, I disabled logon and discovery, stopped NT logon
> and SMS executive services on BDCs and removed associated registry
> keys.  How do I get the BDCs to start acting as CAPs and logon points
> again?  My original configuration had each of the install and
> discovery methods turned on and after the rebuilt they remained like
> that.  Do I need to disable and re-enable the logon and discovery
> methods?
> Thanks
> Bobbo

rebuilt site server; how do regain caps and logon points?

Post by bob » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:29:49

Thanks for the feedback.  I ended up running ACLReset (sms service
account password was modified) then ran SMS setup and chose "modify or
reset".  All of my site settings then reverted back to default.  I
changed my settings back to the way they were and everything is fine
now.  CAPS and LOGON points were recreated auto.  Had to reboot a BDC
a few times to get remote tools to work (used SHUTGUI from resource
kit).
Thanks for the suggestion,
Bobbo

1. Rebuilding SMS server (CAP/Dist Point/ Source Server)

I am rebuilding an SMS Server that is a CAP, Distribution Point (1 GB
Size), and Software Source point (1GB Size) for all SMS packages. My
goal is to get the new server back up and running as quickly as
possible.  My site is a child site, but the software source holds
packages for both the parent and child. There is another CAP and
Distribution point in my site until the new server gets back up and
running

I would like to restore the package adminstrative share (smspkge$) and
the CAP_(SITE Code) directory from backup to get it up and running
quicker. I'm not sure what registry entries go along with it and if
that will cause me grief.

Or, should I do it through the SMS snap in and let it take longer.

Will client systems react to the new CAP differently if it's the same
name.
Anyone do the same process and have feedback ?

2. Open Position Listing : SR NW ENGINEER

3. SMS Logon Points - Site Rebuild

4. Newbie - Sendmail cannot connect ...?

5. Reinstall of CAP/Logon Point server

6. Delete restoration data?

7. Rebuilt DC not yet a logon point

8. 2000 and PatitionMagic 4

9. Resetting the CAP and Logon Point

10. distribution point on rebuilt secondary site not populating

11. BDC Logon Points won't become CAP's

12. CAP's vs. Logon Points