NEW SMS Installer Won't overwrite

Post by MCP » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:42:27

Hi folks,

Having a bit of a problem with the newest installer. We create the package
(Repackage) to install to a directory on the Nt4/W95/W98 and Pro 2000
systems. The directory is the same on all. The problem we have is during the
deploy from the package the files that exist in the directory currently are
the same name but still have to be overwritten. The files are NOT
overwritten, the settings for the files in the package explicitly say to
overwrite. We have tried pretty much everything to get it to overwrite to no
avail. Anyone hear of this or have a fix for it? The terminology during
install is "Skipping File"

The installer we used is from this site:
http://www.microsoft.com/smsmgmt/downloads/installer.asp

Thanks for your help!

Dan Solodon
Systems Administrator

NEW SMS Installer Won't overwrite

Post by Rod Tren » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 00:15:53

In the latest release of SMS Installer, in the Installation Properties
window (Ctrl-Z), uncheck the Network Installation option.

From the Help doc:
"If this check box is selected, SMS Installer performs a cyclic redundancy
check on each file that is being installed. Files that already exist on the
computer are skipped, rather than reinstalling the same file. In addition,
if an installation fails before it is completed, SMS Installer does not
reinstall any files that were already installed before the failure. This
option reduces network traffic. Note that this check box is selected by
default."

--

Rod Trent
Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)

> Hi folks,

> Having a bit of a problem with the newest installer. We create the package
> (Repackage) to install to a directory on the Nt4/W95/W98 and Pro 2000
> systems. The directory is the same on all. The problem we have is during
the
> deploy from the package the files that exist in the directory currently
are
> the same name but still have to be overwritten. The files are NOT
> overwritten, the settings for the files in the package explicitly say to
> overwrite. We have tried pretty much everything to get it to overwrite to
no
> avail. Anyone hear of this or have a fix for it? The terminology during
> install is "Skipping File"

> The installer we used is from this site:
> http://www.microsoft.com/smsmgmt/downloads/installer.asp

> Thanks for your help!

> Dan Solodon
> Systems Administrator

NEW SMS Installer Won't overwrite

Post by MCP » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:48:26

Thanks Rod!

That works great!

Is there a way to upgrade the MSI install with out changing the name? I have
found that once the .msi is run for a package, unless I change the name by a
letter or two, I can not re-install it at that name.

Thanks

Dan

> In the latest release of SMS Installer, in the Installation Properties
> window (Ctrl-Z), uncheck the Network Installation option.

> From the Help doc:
> "If this check box is selected, SMS Installer performs a cyclic redundancy
> check on each file that is being installed. Files that already exist on
the
> computer are skipped, rather than reinstalling the same file. In addition,
> if an installation fails before it is completed, SMS Installer does not
> reinstall any files that were already installed before the failure. This
> option reduces network traffic. Note that this check box is selected by
> default."

> --

> Rod Trent
> Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)
> Main site: http://www.myITforum.com
> Forums: http://www.myITforum.com/forums
> Downloads: http://www.myITforum.com/downloads
> Microsoft SMS Installer - ISBN:0072124474
> Admin911:SMS - ISBN:0072130229
> IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

Quote:

> > Hi folks,

> > Having a bit of a problem with the newest installer. We create the
package
> > (Repackage) to install to a directory on the Nt4/W95/W98 and Pro 2000
> > systems. The directory is the same on all. The problem we have is during
> the
> > deploy from the package the files that exist in the directory currently
> are
> > the same name but still have to be overwritten. The files are NOT
> > overwritten, the settings for the files in the package explicitly say to
> > overwrite. We have tried pretty much everything to get it to overwrite
> no
> > avail. Anyone hear of this or have a fix for it? The terminology during
> > install is "Skipping File"

> > The installer we used is from this site:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/smsmgmt/downloads/installer.asp

> > Thanks for your help!

> > Dan Solodon
> > Systems Administrator

NEW SMS Installer Won't overwrite

Post by Rod Tren » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:03:54

That's actually a function of the Windows Installer service.  You'll need to
use the MSIEXEC command-line to change installation options.  Here's a list:

http://www.myitforum.com/archive/Articles/msiexeccom.asp

--

Rod Trent
Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)
Main site: http://www.myITforum.com
Forums: http://www.myITforum.com/forums
Downloads: http://www.myITforum.com/downloads
Microsoft SMS Installer - ISBN:0072124474
Admin911:SMS - ISBN:0072130229
IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

> Thanks Rod!

> That works great!

> Is there a way to upgrade the MSI install with out changing the name? I
have
> found that once the .msi is run for a package, unless I change the name by
> letter or two, I can not re-install it at that name.

> Thanks

> Dan

> > In the latest release of SMS Installer, in the Installation Properties
> > window (Ctrl-Z), uncheck the Network Installation option.

> > From the Help doc:
> > "If this check box is selected, SMS Installer performs a cyclic
redundancy
> > check on each file that is being installed. Files that already exist on
> the
> > computer are skipped, rather than reinstalling the same file. In
addition,
> > if an installation fails before it is completed, SMS Installer does not
> > reinstall any files that were already installed before the failure. This
> > option reduces network traffic. Note that this check box is selected by
> > default."

> > --

> > Rod Trent
> > Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)
> > Main site: http://www.myITforum.com
> > Forums: http://www.myITforum.com/forums
> > Downloads: http://www.myITforum.com/downloads
> > Microsoft SMS Installer - ISBN:0072124474
> > Admin911:SMS - ISBN:0072130229
> > IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

> > > Hi folks,

> > > Having a bit of a problem with the newest installer. We create the
> package
> > > (Repackage) to install to a directory on the Nt4/W95/W98 and Pro 2000
> > > systems. The directory is the same on all. The problem we have is
during
> > the
> > > deploy from the package the files that exist in the directory
currently
> > are
> > > the same name but still have to be overwritten. The files are NOT
> > > overwritten, the settings for the files in the package explicitly say
> > > overwrite. We have tried pretty much everything to get it to overwrite
> > no
> > > avail. Anyone hear of this or have a fix for it? The terminology
during
> > > install is "Skipping File"

> > > The installer we used is from this site:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/smsmgmt/downloads/installer.asp

> > > Thanks for your help!

> > > Dan Solodon
> > > Systems Administrator

NEW SMS Installer Won't overwrite

Post by MCP » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:13:16

Thank-you Sir,

I appreciate all of your assistance!

Thanks

Dan

> That's actually a function of the Windows Installer service.  You'll need
> use the MSIEXEC command-line to change installation options.  Here's a
list:

> http://www.myitforum.com/archive/Articles/msiexeccom.asp

> --

> Rod Trent
> Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)
> Main site: http://www.myITforum.com
> Forums: http://www.myITforum.com/forums
> Downloads: http://www.myITforum.com/downloads
> Microsoft SMS Installer - ISBN:0072124474
> Admin911:SMS - ISBN:0072130229
> IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

> > Thanks Rod!

> > That works great!

> > Is there a way to upgrade the MSI install with out changing the name? I
> have
> > found that once the .msi is run for a package, unless I change the name
by
> > letter or two, I can not re-install it at that name.

> > Thanks

> > Dan

> > > In the latest release of SMS Installer, in the Installation Properties
> > > window (Ctrl-Z), uncheck the Network Installation option.

> > > From the Help doc:
> > > "If this check box is selected, SMS Installer performs a cyclic
> redundancy
> > > check on each file that is being installed. Files that already exist
on
> > the
> > > computer are skipped, rather than reinstalling the same file. In
> addition,
> > > if an installation fails before it is completed, SMS Installer does
not
> > > reinstall any files that were already installed before the failure.
This
> > > option reduces network traffic. Note that this check box is selected
by
> > > default."

> > > --

> > > Rod Trent
> > > Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)
> > > =============================================
> > > Main site: http://www.myITforum.com
> > > Forums: http://www.myITforum.com/forums
> > > Downloads: http://www.myITforum.com/downloads
> > > =============================================
> > > Microsoft SMS Installer - ISBN:0072124474
> > > Admin911:SMS - ISBN:0072130229
> > > IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724
> > > =============================================

> > package
> during
> > > the
> currently
> > > are
> > > no
> during

1. SMS Installer will not overwrite files

I had not heard of this issue, but warrants some investigation.  I know the
latest version of SMS Installer (part of the ISU beta) does a good job of
replacing files.

--

Rod Trent
Manager - myITforum (formerly SWYNK.com)
Main site: http://www.myITforum.com
Forums: http://www.myITforum.com/forums
Downloads: http://www.myITforum.com/downloads
Microsoft SMS Installer - ISBN:0072124474
Admin911:SMS - ISBN:0072130229
IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

2. Need help recovering data from 4mm DAT tape

3. SMS installer won't run

4. CDR drive compatibility

5. SMS-client uninstall won't work (q199078 won't work either)

6. roles pattern question

7. installer reboot won't pass security logon banner

8. Phone Systems - Any Good Ones?

9. Why won't Samba won't stay started in Redhat 7.0 ??

10. Install fails: can't overwrite files in root dir

11. sms doesn't pick up some new client pc's

12. SMS 1.2 Sec Site's won't De-install !

13. New RAID setup won't boot