Setting the "Default Protocol=IP" in DOMAIN.INI

Setting the "Default Protocol=IP" in DOMAIN.INI

Post by Mira » Sat, 14 Jun 1997 04:00:00

 I am trying to find a way to set IP as the default protocol
 for the SMS clients we are currenly installing. They are
 all Windows 95.
 Considering that SMS\logon.srv\DOMAIN.INI is the template
 for the clients SMS.INI, I thought that, modifying
 "Default Protocol" in the [SIGHT] section of the file,
 is going to do the trick. It doesn't. Something within the
 SMS Server resets the DOMAIN.INI file to the installed
 version, where "Default Protocol = NETBIOS".
 I searched the whole drive, thinking that there might be some
 replica of the previous file somewhere. Found nothing.

 Hopefully someone could help either with a way to save the
 change in DOMAIN.INI or with a different procedure to have
 IP as the default protocol for Windows 95 clients.
 I know I can change it after, but I would rather have the
 SMS client properly installed from the beginning.

 Thank you,
 Mira

Setting the "Default Protocol=IP" in DOMAIN.INI

Post by John Hollcraf » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Not the right way, I'm afraid.  Try the registry key on the site server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Sites\<site>\Domain\<domain>\RC
Default Protocol=IP
--
Regards,
John Hollcraft

The SMS Experts at jrh Group Limited
http://www.jrhgroup.com

> This was fun to figure out. NOT.

> I've got a PDC and 4 BDC's..... SMS is installed on one of the BDC's. I
> shut off all SMS-related services
> on all 5 NT boxes. Then I edited the DOMAIN.INI file in each NT server's
> SMS_SHR share.... all five of
> them, to enact all the changes I wanted (set require permission to NO,
> default protocol to IP, etc)
> Then I set the security permissions (I use NTFS on all my partitions) to
> allow only read on all the
> servers' DOMAIN.INI copies and full control only to my personal logon ID
so
> that nobody else or no
> service daemon would be able to mess with them any more :->..... You must
> do this on all your BDC's
> as well as your PDC and SMS machines since this junk is replicated across
> all of them.

> >  I am trying to find a way to set IP as the default protocol
> >  for the SMS clients we are currenly installing. They are
> >  all Windows 95.
> >  Considering that SMS\logon.srv\DOMAIN.INI is the template
> >  for the clients SMS.INI, I thought that, modifying
> >  "Default Protocol" in the [SIGHT] section of the file,
> >  is going to do the trick. It doesn't. Something within the
> >  SMS Server resets the DOMAIN.INI file to the installed
> >  version, where "Default Protocol = NETBIOS".
> >  I searched the whole drive, thinking that there might be some
> >  replica of the previous file somewhere. Found nothing.

> >  Hopefully someone could help either with a way to save the
> >  change in DOMAIN.INI or with a different procedure to have
> >  IP as the default protocol for Windows 95 clients.
> >  I know I can change it after, but I would rather have the
> >  SMS client properly installed from the beginning.

> >  Thank you,
> >  Mira

Setting the "Default Protocol=IP" in DOMAIN.INI

Post by CE » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Changing the permissions on domain.ini is a big no no. This is how client
site properties are dictated to clients. This means that any changes made
to  inventory frequency for example wouldn't get changed in domain.ini.

Modify
heky_local_machine\software\microsoft\Sites\<sitecode>\domains\<domain>\Defa
ult RC Protocol

Change the value to IP. This will then be reflected in the SMS domains
domain.ini.
--

Remove NO_JUNK from my email address to send mail.
The above comments are my own, and may not be

Quote:> This was fun to figure out. NOT.