Add new attributes to existing Hardware Inventory objects

Add new attributes to existing Hardware Inventory objects

Post by Sturm Dore » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm using MIF files to extend the Hardware inventory.
For client machines I can add more groups to the Hardware Inventory as in
this example:

Start Component
 Name = "Workstation"
 Start Group
  Name = "System"
  ID = 1
  Class = "System"
  Key = 2
  Pragma = "sms:add"
  Start Attribute Name = "Name" ID = 1 Type = String Value = "MyName" End
Attribute
 End Group

 Start Group
  Name = "My Group"
  ID = 2
  Class = "userInformation"
  Pragma = "sms:add"
  Key = 1
  Start Attribute Name = "My information 1" ID = 1 Type = String Value =
"Some info" End Attribute
  Start Attribute Name = "My information 2" ID = 2 Type = String Value =
"Another info" End Attribute
 End Group
End Component

This will add "My Group" group into Hardware Inventory.

However I want for existing groups (objects) in the Hardware Inventory to
add more attributes.
E.g. for Operating System group I want to add a new Attribute "Vendor". This
MIF file will not
be processed by SMS:

Start Component
 Name = "Workstation"
 Start Group
  Name = "System"
  ID = 1
  Class = "System"
  Key = 2
  Pragma = "sms:add"
  Start Attribute Name = "Name" ID = 1 Type = String Value = "My name" End
Attribute
 End Group

 Start Group
  Name = "Operating System"
  ID = 2
  Class = "MICROSOFT|OPERATING_SYSTEM|1.0"
  Pragma = "sms:add"
  Start Attribute Name = "Name" ID =1 Type = String Value = "MacOS" End
Attribute
  Start Attribute Name = "Version" ID =17 Type = String Value = "8.6" End
Attribute
  Start Attribute Name = "Manufacturer" ID =11 Type = String Value =
"Microsoft Corporation" End Attribute
  Start Attribute Name = "Vendor" ID = 100 Type = Strig Value = "ABC
Software" End Attribute
 End Group
End Component

Can anybody tell me how do I add new attributes to existing objects in
Hardware Inventory using MIF files?
 Thanks.

Dorel Sturm
Germany

1. Adding properties (attributes) to existing objects... help!

Hi,

I am new to ADSI and need some help :).

I am using VB and am writing a very basic entry manager.  I am able to Add
new entries, Delete existing entries, and search just fine.  The problem
comes when I try to modify existing entries that don't already use all of
the attributes that I am using.  It appears that I am not able to add new
properties (attributes) to an entry.  I am able to modify properties that
exist, but when I try to use the setinfo method after I put a property that
did not already exist in the entries property cache, I get an error.  So...
how the heck do I add a new property to an entry?  A code snippet would be
very useful.  All of the examples I have been able to find only discuss
adding values to existing properties.  Even the ADSI control code
enumerations give the impression that you can't 'add' a property
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netd...
i/ads_property_operation_enum.asp).  They only have Clear, Update, Append
and Delete... what about Add?

Thanks,

Mike

2. this *should* be so simple...

3. how to move active directory objects to a new hardware?

4. REQ: meta

5. Migrate Existing SBS2K to new hardware

6. Timing a Thread

7. Adding new user to existing machine

8. Plotted colors do not match the screen

9. Adding New User to an Existing Machine

10. Adding new Mail address on Existing Client

11. Cannot add existing user to new client computer

12. Hardware Inventory/Add-Remove Programs Query

13. Adding items such as "serial number" to hardware inventory?