SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing, please help!!!!

SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing, please help!!!!

Post by Francisco » Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:23:48

Hello newsgroup,

Our SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing existing packages to
distribution points (updating them, in other words)

I don't want to remove and readd the distribution points because they are
mostly important packages and in some cases, back-end our Intranet downloads

I have traced the problem (I think) to the Scheduler.The minijobs get
created in the Primary site's Schedule.box, with the corresponding file also
created in the schedule.box\tosend directory.

After that nothing happens (It should go into the LAN sender directory on
the Primary and then the receive directory on the remote site) I have
checked the schedule.log and get the following:

"Need to generate send request for minijob.
Skipping minijob. Could not retrieve the requset ID
====== Sleeping for maximum 3600 seconds ======"

And this is causing a lot of minijobs to backup.

Please can anyone help with this. It is a MAJOR problem for us and I can't
see any way of solving it.

regards,
Francisco

SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing, please help!!!!

Post by Randall L. Smit » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:36:23

Check the files in sms\inboxes\schedule.box\UID

You should have two there. xxxxxxxx.job and xxxxxxxx.req

If they are not there then you can create them such as 00000001.job and
00000001.req.

That should get your ID's cooking again!

Randall

Quote:> Hello newsgroup,

> Our SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing existing packages to
> distribution points (updating them, in other words)

> I don't want to remove and readd the distribution points because they are
> mostly important packages and in some cases, back-end our Intranet
downloads

> I have traced the problem (I think) to the Scheduler.The minijobs get
> created in the Primary site's Schedule.box, with the corresponding file
also
> created in the schedule.box\tosend directory.

> After that nothing happens (It should go into the LAN sender directory on
> the Primary and then the receive directory on the remote site) I have
> checked the schedule.log and get the following:

> "Need to generate send request for minijob.
> Skipping minijob. Could not retrieve the requset ID
> ====== Sleeping for maximum 3600 seconds ======"

> And this is causing a lot of minijobs to backup.

> Please can anyone help with this. It is a MAJOR problem for us and I can't
> see any way of solving it.

> regards,
> Francisco

SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing, please help!!!!

Post by John Smit » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 08:53:34

Hi Randall,

First, thank you for the sugestion, I will try it

regards
Francisco

> Check the files in sms\inboxes\schedule.box\UID

> You should have two there. xxxxxxxx.job and xxxxxxxx.req

> If they are not there then you can create them such as 00000001.job and
> 00000001.req.

> That should get your ID's cooking again!

> Randall

> > Hello newsgroup,

> > Our SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing existing packages to
> > distribution points (updating them, in other words)

> > I don't want to remove and readd the distribution points because they
are
> > mostly important packages and in some cases, back-end our Intranet
> downloads

> > I have traced the problem (I think) to the Scheduler.The minijobs get
> > created in the Primary site's Schedule.box, with the corresponding file
> also
> > created in the schedule.box\tosend directory.

> > After that nothing happens (It should go into the LAN sender directory
on
> > the Primary and then the receive directory on the remote site) I have
> > checked the schedule.log and get the following:

> > "Need to generate send request for minijob.
> > Skipping minijob. Could not retrieve the requset ID
> > ====== Sleeping for maximum 3600 seconds ======"

> > And this is causing a lot of minijobs to backup.

> > Please can anyone help with this. It is a MAJOR problem for us and I
can't
> > see any way of solving it.

> > regards,
> > Francisco

SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing, please help!!!!

Post by Wally Mead [MS » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:37:55

That's a good thing to check, provided you are having problems wth site to
site communications. However the scheduler has nothing to do with updating
distribution points, unless you are implying they are DPs at child sites. It
actually is the Distribution Manager that is responsible for updating DPs at
a site. Scheduler just helps get packages (not just software distribution
packages) down to a child site (or inventory and other data up to a parent
site). Once at the local site, it is Distribution Manager that handles the
DP update.

So, if you are talking about local DPs, then check distmgr.log. If remote,
then distmgr.log, replmgr.log, sched.log, sender.log locally, and
despool.log, replmgr.log, and distmgr.log remotely.

> Check the files in sms\inboxes\schedule.box\UID

> You should have two there. xxxxxxxx.job and xxxxxxxx.req

> If they are not there then you can create them such as 00000001.job and
> 00000001.req.

> That should get your ID's cooking again!

> Randall

> > Hello newsgroup,

> > Our SMS system has suddenly stopped distributing existing packages to
> > distribution points (updating them, in other words)

> > I don't want to remove and readd the distribution points because they
are
> > mostly important packages and in some cases, back-end our Intranet
> downloads

> > I have traced the problem (I think) to the Scheduler.The minijobs get
> > created in the Primary site's Schedule.box, with the corresponding file
> also
> > created in the schedule.box\tosend directory.

> > After that nothing happens (It should go into the LAN sender directory
on
> > the Primary and then the receive directory on the remote site) I have
> > checked the schedule.log and get the following:

> > "Need to generate send request for minijob.
> > Skipping minijob. Could not retrieve the requset ID
> > ====== Sleeping for maximum 3600 seconds ======"

> > And this is causing a lot of minijobs to backup.

> > Please can anyone help with this. It is a MAJOR problem for us and I
can't
> > see any way of solving it.

> > regards,
> > Francisco

1. Distributing a .msi file via SMS - please help!

I am attempting to create a package that will install Citrix PNAgent. I
would like to silently distribute a .msi file that I have customized (by
using Orca) for our needs. I am getting command switch errors when the
package attempts to install on a targeted machine. I am attempting to invoke
msiexec on the client machine to run the .msi file and am trying to use the
/qn command switch to make it silent. Is there a way that I can invoke the
/qn command switch without running msiexec to install the file? Here is what
I am putting as the command line to execute when creating the program in SMS
Administrator:

msiexec /I \\servername\sharename\ica32a.msi /qn

This should work, correct?

So that leads to the larger question, are the .msi file command switches
dependent on msiexec being invoked as part of the command line to call the
package?  That seems a little weird.  When I execute a .msi file using a
double-click, msiexec is automatically invoked to run the package, but when
I simply put the package name followed by the desired command switches, the
switches are not invoked.  If this is the case, however, is there a way to
edit the .msi file itself and insert those command swtiches in such a way
that they can be called independently of msiexec?

My other option is to customize the executable version of the installer.
But I am having no luch in accomplishing my goals with WinZip
Sefl-Extractor.  I am downloading an evaluation version of WinInstall now,
but will probably be bound by the terms of the evaluation license with
regard to distributing the modified, re-packaged executable.

Everyone's assitance is greatly appreciated!

Jerry Kornegay

2. comp.dcom.telecom

3. Suddenly Slow Connecting to Exchange Server -- Help Please

4. do while(fread(fid) = 0)?

5. SMS stopped sending packages etc here are Symptoms - PLEASE HELP!

6. Looking for papers on optimum receiver for multiple-channel systems

7. Please help-How to deploy operating systems using sms

8. HELP! menu problems (strange problem!)

9. Outlook having problems seeing Exchange Server - Please Help

10. Having second thoughts about SBS. Please help.

11. Outlook having problems seeing Exchange Server - Please Help

12. Please help , question about distributing software

13. Distributing MSI to clients PLEASE HELP!!