y2k verion of SMS Installer?

Post by James S. Barke » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello:
I didn't see anything about this in the newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask...

The MS y2k website says that SMS Installer v1.0.60 and beyond are
y2k-compliant. The page that says that
(http://www.microsoft.com/services/technet/topics/year2k/product/User_...
65EN.htm) provides a hyperlink
(http://backoffice.microsoft.com/downtrial/moreinfo/smsinst.asp) to the
Download & Trial page for SMS Installer, along with a note that this version
is fully compliant.

I downloaded this, and noticed the file dates were in June 1997, and that
the version number is 1.0.45.

So, the questions:
* Where is version 1.0.60?
* If it truly doesn't exist, is 1.0.45 y2k-compliant?

Thanks in advance!

y2k verion of SMS Installer?

Post by James S. Barke » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Oops -- the file dates are in June of 1998, not June of 1997. Sorry about
that.

>Hello:
>I didn't see anything about this in the newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask...

>The MS y2k website says that SMS Installer v1.0.60 and beyond are
>y2k-compliant. The page that says that
>(http://www.microsoft.com/services/technet/topics/year2k/product/User_...
6
>65EN.htm) provides a hyperlink
>(http://backoffice.microsoft.com/downtrial/moreinfo/smsinst.asp) to the
>Download & Trial page for SMS Installer, along with a note that this
version
>is fully compliant.

>I downloaded this, and noticed the file dates were in June 1997, and that
>the version number is 1.0.45.

>So, the questions:
>* Where is version 1.0.60?
>* If it truly doesn't exist, is 1.0.45 y2k-compliant?

>Thanks in advance!

y2k verion of SMS Installer?

Post by 1 » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Version 2.0.62 shipped with the latest SMS2 beta, so I asume that this will
ship with SMS2.

As to y2k compliance, I would contact Microsot PSS for the definative
answer.

Phil Wilcock
1e Ltd.
http://www.1e.com

y2k verion of SMS Installer?

Post by James S. Barke » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello:
Thanks for the response. Are you using a later beta of SMS 2.0 than the July
beta? I pulled the sms_inst off of the July beta, installed it, ran it, and
it claims that it is 1.0.45 as well.

>Version 2.0.62 shipped with the latest SMS2 beta, so I asume that this will
>ship with SMS2.

>As to y2k compliance, I would contact Microsot PSS for the definative
>answer.

>Phil Wilcock
>1e Ltd.
>http://www.1e.com

y2k verion of SMS Installer?

Post by Esten Porte » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I looked and couldn't find any newer version than 1.0.45.

I tested v1.0.45 myself, and found the following.

It uses only 2 digits for the year component in dates, and a pivot year of
60 with a resulting
theoretical window of 1960 to 2059.

One date comparison is simply whether the date last modified (of a file to
potentially be included while building the installation script and
executable) had changed at all, with a resulting decision whether to include
it in a new compile.

Another gets the current date of the "running" (target) system, from which
you can make your own decisions in the script. This is practically limited
on the lower end to the actual current date (eg 1998), and on the high end
to whenever you quit using the software (most likely well before 2059).

And another one gets the last modified date of a file on the target system,
from which you can make your own decisions in the script. This is
practically limited on the lower end to 01/01/1980, and on the high end to
whenever you quit using the software (most likely well before 2059).

I didn't find this anywhere in MS' documentation, but rather through my own
testing.

Esten

>Hello:
>I didn't see anything about this in the newsgroup, so I thought I'd ask...

>The MS y2k website says that SMS Installer v1.0.60 and beyond are
>y2k-compliant. The page that says that
>(http://www.microsoft.com/services/technet/topics/year2k/product/User_...
6
>65EN.htm) provides a hyperlink
>(http://backoffice.microsoft.com/downtrial/moreinfo/smsinst.asp) to the
>Download & Trial page for SMS Installer, along with a note that this
version
>is fully compliant.

>I downloaded this, and noticed the file dates were in June 1997, and that
>the version number is 1.0.45.

>So, the questions:
>* Where is version 1.0.60?
>* If it truly doesn't exist, is 1.0.45 y2k-compliant?

>Thanks in advance!

1. SMS verion on sms site server

Ive just upgraded our Parent SIte server to sms 2 SP4 on a
windows nt 4 sp6a server. I know how to verify the version
through the mmc of the parent server...but how do you know
that other sms servers within the site have also picked up
the changes?

ie I have three other servers within the site acting as
logon points and distribution points

2. ***Wanted: ZyXEL 1496E Modem***

3. SMS Installer or Windows Installer?????

4. Event Log and Drive troubles

5. Difference between SMS Installer and Windows Installer?

6. problem with short PDF file

7. install a printer driver with SMS Installer or Wise Installer

8. Reading File & Displaying

9. This verison cannot upgrade the installed verion of the server

10. Publish through PKMCDO from verion 0.0?

11. WIN95 Y2K UPDATE USING SMS 2.0?

12. SMS 1.2: Y2K PRODUCT ANALYSIS MIF

13. SMS and Y2K