Multiple CAP's, Dist, Logon Points Question

Multiple CAP's, Dist, Logon Points Question

Post by Derek Moi » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 05:43:15

Hi there,

I am new to SMS so please excuse me.  I have a single site with multiple
CAP, Distribution points and Logon Points spread across my WAN (I have high
speed links between each site and my computer centre where my site server
lives).  I want to ensure that my clients only get what is delivered to
them. e.g. packages etc from their local server.  Is there any thing I can
do to make this happen or is it taken care of by SMS.

Help

Cheers Derek

Multiple CAP's, Dist, Logon Points Question

Post by Serge M. Chegoria » Thu, 01 Mar 2001 07:22:25

Hi,

Setup the desired local servers as Distribution Point in SMS\Site
Database\Site Hierarchy\XXX\Site Settings\Site Systems. If you server is not
listed (which means it is not a DC) simply add a new one. When create a new
package, check the distribution points you want it to be distributed from.
Or (may be it is better) create a few simular packages for the same program
to be absolutely sure that the package 1) is delivered to the desired LAN;
2) is distributed accross the LAN, not WAN.

Regards,

Serge Chegorian

Quote:> Hi there,

> I am new to SMS so please excuse me.  I have a single site with multiple
> CAP, Distribution points and Logon Points spread across my WAN (I have
high
> speed links between each site and my computer centre where my site server
> lives).  I want to ensure that my clients only get what is delivered to
> them. e.g. packages etc from their local server.  Is there any thing I can
> do to make this happen or is it taken care of by SMS.

> Help

> Cheers Derek

Multiple CAP's, Dist, Logon Points Question

Post by sms admi » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:58:34

i would make each physical location a separate sms site.  sites aren't
supposed to span WAN links, unless the links are VERY fast.

Quote:> Hi there,

> I am new to SMS so please excuse me.  I have a single site with multiple
> CAP, Distribution points and Logon Points spread across my WAN (I have
high
> speed links between each site and my computer centre where my site server
> lives).  I want to ensure that my clients only get what is delivered to
> them. e.g. packages etc from their local server.  Is there any thing I can
> do to make this happen or is it taken care of by SMS.

> Help

> Cheers Derek

1. BDC Logon Points won't become CAP's

Hi all,

We're having a problem with promoting many of our BDC's to CAP's.  Each of
our BDC's have been successfully installed as SMS Logon Points.  We have a
very large client base spread across many WAN links in addition to a large
client seat on a local Ethernet LAN (over 1500 clients in total).

We have successfully promoted one of our BDC's on the local LAN to a CAP,
however we are experiencing a failure whenever we attempt to promote any of
our remaining BDC's, which generally (but not strictly) speaking are on the
opposite side of WAN links.

Using SMSTrace to view the SITECOMP.LOG file on our Central Site Server we
can watch the successful transmission of the appropriate CAP files from the
Central Site Server to the BDC, and even confirm that the CAP_Sxx directory
and all of its appropriate subdirectories are created on the BDC.  The
following SITECOMP.LOG entry shows where things start to go wrong....

Starting service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_SMS01 with command-line arguments "S01
F:\SMS /install \\SVR1\F$\SMS\bin\i386\smsexecd.exe...
SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 5/7/99 9:29:49 AM 292 (0x124)

Followed immediately by this failure...

Execution of "\\SVR1\F$\SMS\bin\i386\smsexecd.exe /install
/siteserver:SMS01" on server SVR1 failed: Could not establish a connection
to the site server using the SMS Service Connect Account.
SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER ### 169 (0xA9)

Bootstrap operation failed.   SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 5/7/99 9:30:09 AM
292 (0x124)

The SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER then continuously and unsuccessfully retries with
every polling cycle.  It is worth mentioning again that this exact error
message is showing up with each and every BDC Logon Point that we attempt to
promote to a CAP.  (except for the server name of course which is specific
to the server).

This error message also appears when we attempt to "roll-back" the CAP
installation by de-selecting the role change.  The only difference is that
there is a "/deinstall" switch provided to the command rather than an
"/install" switch.  They both fail...

If anyone has seen this error, or can shed some additional light on the
problem it would be greatly appreciated.

We are working with MS on this one and will post back if/when we get a fix.

MP

2. Visual Basic - How could it respond to port interrupts ?

3. CAP's vs. Logon Points

4. MS C/C++ 7 Offer

5. Multiple SMS Secondary Sites v Multiple Dist. Servers & Logon Servers

6. AS/400 <--> Remote CTL with synchronous modems

7. Rebuilding SMS server (CAP/Dist Point/ Source Server)

8. Detecting Invalid Synonyms

9. Specifying a standard SMS Package Share on all Dist'n Points

10. Resetting the CAP and Logon Point

11. Error - Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site xxx'

12. NDS Logon point and CAP

13. rebuilt site server; how do regain caps and logon points?