Sms 2.0 and 3rd party DHCP server question

Sms 2.0 and 3rd party DHCP server question

Post by Anthony Ma » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Gentlemen:

I have a pressing problem:

Our company is using CheckPoint software's Meta-IP DDNS/DHCP Management
software.

I need to deploy SMS 2.0 ASAP but I have run into a problem where the
Windows NT and 9x clients can be discovered and installed thru NT Logon
Network Discovery but will NOT become Assigned the site.  SMS
documentation states that SMS Site Server needs to retrieve some kind of
update from MS NT DHCP Server (which requires that SMS Server submit
NTLM authentication to NT DHCP Server as well)  As a test I set up a
machine with a static IP number and it worked fine but the Site
Assignment and installed components were lost within a few days of
converting the client back to DHCP.

Question:  Has anyone else successfully deployed SMS 2.0 in a DHCP
environment using a NON MICROSOFT DHCP SERVER ?

I did some quick research and found that Cisco's Network Registrar can
submit DHCP updates to MS SMS but that's it and we're not using Cisco's
product.

Regards to all.

Replies by e-mail would be preferred.

Sms 2.0 and 3rd party DHCP server question

Post by Wolfgang Exle » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

Quote:>Gentlemen:

>I have a pressing problem:

>Our company is using CheckPoint software's Meta-IP DDNS/DHCP Management
>software.

>I need to deploy SMS 2.0 ASAP but I have run into a problem where the
>Windows NT and 9x clients can be discovered and installed thru NT Logon
>Network Discovery but will NOT become Assigned the site.  SMS
>documentation states that SMS Site Server needs to retrieve some kind of
>update from MS NT DHCP Server (which requires that SMS Server submit
>NTLM authentication to NT DHCP Server as well)  As a test I set up a
>machine with a static IP number and it worked fine but the Site
>Assignment and installed components were lost within a few days of
>converting the client back to DHCP.

>Question:  Has anyone else successfully deployed SMS 2.0 in a DHCP
>environment using a NON MICROSOFT DHCP SERVER ?

we use QIP 5 from Lucent Technologies for DHCP/DNS.
We operate NT Servers and NT Workstations. Our User Accounts are set
to a userid.BAT file as a login script which contains the following
line:

CALL \\smssiteserver\NETLOGON\SMSLS

so all systems can be discovered via Logon Discovery

Network discovery did not work. This seems to depend on Browsing
Service which is disabled in our environment.

Wolfgang

1. SMS 2.0 and 3rd party DHCP servers

[...]

2. Compaq/Tandon setup disks wanted

3. error upon start up

4. SMS and 3rd party DHCP

5. using unnumbered for dial backup

6. KB Q295667 Question (ISA 3rd. Party Question)

7. Windows Media Player will not install using 3.6 and ROM 2.20

8. SMS 2.0 and third party DHCP servers.

9. 3rd party client/server package running on SBS server

10. Info on SMS integration with 3rd party products

11. SMS and third party DHCP servers

12. DirectoryEntry RefreshCache fails due to access problem - schema retrieval on 3rd party ldap server