Error - Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site xxx'

Error - Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site xxx'

Post by Andrew Ston » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I hope someone can shed some light on what's happening here. I have an SMS
site hierarchy that is Central Site >Primary Site >Secondary Site. SMS
clients in all the secondary sites are installed OK, as are primary site SMS
clients. The problem is with the Central site SMS clients. All workstations
are Windows NT 4.0 SP3 - logged-on users do not have local admin rights.
  a.. At the central site:
  Site boundaries have been set for 1 class B subnet.
  All SMS Components are enabled (Inventory, SWDist, RemCtrl etc.etc.)
  Windows Networking Logon Client Installation is enabled.
  Windows NT Remote Client installation is enabled.
  DDR's are created for SMS clients and have been assigned to GHP site.
  Logon Points are fine.
  CAP role is assigned to Site server.
  a.. The Central site SMS Client's are discovered and the SMS client
software is installed, however, it's not a full install of software. All
clients have the following characteristics:
  Control Panel>Sites - client is assigned to the correct site, but there is
no time/date stamp.
  Control Panel>Components - client only has SMS base components installed -
no APM, RemCtrl, HINV, SINV etc.etc.
  A Repair/Refresh of the SMS client does not install the required SMS
components.
  Advertised Programs and Advertised Programs Monitor icons are not created
in Control Panel.
These clients seem orphaned but I don't know why. The clients know where the
CAP's are (see log files) but the client installation fails with the
following error:  Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site
GHP' to a raw path (-2147023570) $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe>

I don't understand why the client components are not installed.  All SMS
clients are in the IP scope and are discovered correctly.Can someone help?

Error - Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site xxx'

Post by System- » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Neil & Andrew,

This problem will probably be related to your SMS Client connection account
OR (less likely) permissions on your CAP share.

I can't fix this...yet, but I hope to have a solution very soon (with help
from MS).

Firstly, make sure you have an SMS client connection account "SMSClient_XXX"
in your site server's domain (XXX = site code).

If it's not there, then you're being hit by the same problem as us at the
moment.

Here's what I have so far.....but the stuff below isn't fully working yet.

In theory, SMS should create this account during installation. If it didn't
(I don't know why not...), you could do what I did, which is to create the
account manually. The best way to do this is to copy one from another site
in the same domain if you have multiple sites (it only needs to be in Domain
Users perms otherwise).

Next, check your Site Settings | Connection Accounts | Client. You "should"
already have the connection account (because it's meant to be there!). Ok...
one of our sites (experiencing your "failed to convert CAP" message") didn't
have it so it would seem natural enough to add the account created above
SMSClient_XXX. The problem I now have is that when I add the account and do
a right click <refresh>, the account disappears (great!).

In my case, this is certainly why we are getting the "Failed to convert CAP"
message. All I need to do now is work out why the account disappears.

Actually, I'm talking to Microsoft RSC tomorrow & hope they will be able to
shed some light on the matter.

I will keep you posted as soon as I have any more info (provided its not
NDA...which is unlikely).

Nev

System-IT
'making it simple'

P.S. which hotfixes (if any) have you applied to your site server?

Error - Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site xxx'

Post by System- » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Re...

    << I will keep you posted as soon as I have any more info (provided its
not NDA...which is unlikely).>>

With a lot of help from MS RSC, we now have a solution to this.
Unfortunately, it is subject to NDA (sorry...I did try).

It turned out to be a new bug, but there is a full workaround (quite complex
and dangerous... needs site control file edit etc, but it does work).

If you are experiencing this problem, contact PSS who have a fix (it's a
bug, so it's free....except for those in the Pacific Islands ;).

Microsoft are creating a new kbase for this, but if the PSS you speak to
doesn't have it yet, drop me an email and I will let you know where to get
help within MS.

Regards,

Nev

System-IT
'making it simple'

1. Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site *** error in client wnremote.log

Hi,

The W2K Pro clients in our test subnet are being picked up but only
the core gets installed no further clients services like remotetools
etc. Site server is W2K SP3. Subnets, network discovery are configed
correctly.

Any idz?

Tnx,

Joris

Log:

======= Logging initialized for module
"C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe"
$$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.566
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Calling GetAccessiblePath with LOCAL:\\C:\WINNT\sms_temp\caplist.ini
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.576
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Getting client access point info from "C:\WINNT\sms_temp\caplist.ini"
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.576
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Waiting up to one minute for sites subtree mutex
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.586
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Adding NAL Path "MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=NL1"]\\******\CAP_NL1\" to abstract
export "CAP List for site NL1"
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.586
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Updated Abstract Export "CAP List for site NL1"
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.596
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Waiting up to one minute for sites subtree mutex
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.596
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
~Reading client installation base registry settings from
C:\WINNT\sms_temp\cli_inst.cfg
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.596
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
~Writing shared config items out to registry under site NL1 subtree
$$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.717
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
~Config file items match registry values; no changes necessary
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:45.737
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site NL1' to a raw
path (2147942453)
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:47.770
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Error copying files defined in the TCF file (2147942453)
$$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:47.770
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
Could not spawn CCMBoot.exe - 2147942453
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:47.780
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>
** Service Thread is ending **
 $$<C:\WINNT\sms_temp\CCMBtLdr.exe><Wed Sep 05 09:49:47.780
2001><thread=328 (0x148)>

2. Security

3. Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site

4. OpenVMS Hobbyist on TK50

5. Failed to convert ABEXPRT:\\Cap to raw path

6. Accessing PDF crashes Internet Explorer

7. ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site FPC not accessable

8. Amiga Magic Bundle Software

9. WaitForCAPAccess - abstract export ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site 001 not accessable

10. ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site FPC not accessable

11. WaitForCAPAccess - abstract export ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site SWW not accessable

12. Error: Failed to convert CAP path...???