Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Al Blak » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
Crystal reports add-in.
The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
schedule any of the reports they fail.
Checking the report properties shows the reason:
Cannot open SQL server.

What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the SQL
server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure it is
a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
New Caledonia.
Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by smab » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes it's a bug. Please check this site:
http://www.swynk.com/trent/

SMAB

> We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> Crystal reports add-in.
> The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> schedule any of the reports they fail.
> Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> Cannot open SQL server.

> What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
SQL
> server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure it
is
> a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> --
> Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> New Caledonia.
> Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Bryc » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Apparently, this is a common problem.  Try using the reports generating from
an MS Access app located on the Back Office Resource Kit.

-Bryce

> We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> Crystal reports add-in.
> The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> schedule any of the reports they fail.
> Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> Cannot open SQL server.

> What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
SQL
> server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure it
is
> a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> --
> Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> New Caledonia.
> Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Khursheed Siddiqu » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I had the same problem and i did not apply sp1. But it worked when I
installed Crystal server (Run setup from crystal dir on the CD) on my
machine include in the SMS CD. By the I had Evaluation CD.

> Yes it's a bug. Please check this site:
> http://www.swynk.com/trent/

> SMAB

> > We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> > Crystal reports add-in.
> > The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> > schedule any of the reports they fail.
> > Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> > Cannot open SQL server.

> > What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
> SQL
> > server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure
it
> is
> > a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> > their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> > --
> > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > New Caledonia.
> > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Al Blak » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Thanks a lot that reference certainly provides a work-around
 http://www.swynk.com/trent/crysinfo.asp if anyone needs the exact
reference).

However, when running this work around from a remote administrative console
it produces the desired result. ie the report runs.

If I schedule the report however it still does not run so it seems as though
the WBEM bypass procedure outlined is not saved with the modified report. Is
there a way so save this modification in the report def so that when the
report is scheduled to run it runs properly? Have I missed something?
I feel like I am 75% of the way there but perhaps this is the best that can
be done until the bug is fixed?

> Yes it's a bug. Please check this site:
> http://www.swynk.com/trent/

> SMAB

> > We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> > Crystal reports add-in.
> > The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> > schedule any of the reports they fail.
> > Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> > Cannot open SQL server.

> > What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
> SQL
> > server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure
it
> is
> > a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> > their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> > --
> > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > New Caledonia.
> > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Kirk » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

So does anyone know a solution to the problem?

> Apparently, this is a common problem.  Try using the reports generating
from
> an MS Access app located on the Back Office Resource Kit.

> -Bryce

> > We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> > Crystal reports add-in.
> > The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> > schedule any of the reports they fail.
> > Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> > Cannot open SQL server.

> > What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
> SQL
> > server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure
it
> is
> > a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> > their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> > --
> > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > New Caledonia.
> > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Rob Batso » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Check this link out...  It is a work around.

http://www.swynk.com/trent/crysinfo.asp

-Rob

> We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> Crystal reports add-in.
> The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> schedule any of the reports they fail.
> Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> Cannot open SQL server.

> What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
SQL
> server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure it
is
> a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> --
> Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> New Caledonia.
> Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Nathan Merc » Sun, 08 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Try changing your Crystal Info services startup account the SMS Service
account

Cheers
Nathan
--
Nathan Mercer  MCSE+I MCT
New Zealand

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by R. Bard » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I dont see any crystal service account...?

I have the same problem....

I have tried again and agian to reset the user and password for accessing
the database and it is still no help.

Anybody????

Quote:> Try changing your Crystal Info services startup account the SMS Service
> account

> Cheers
> Nathan
> --
> Nathan Mercer  MCSE+I MCT
> New Zealand
> Ph +64 21 375503

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Lando Lehman » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have the same problem, but with the following error message:

Unable to open report file. Please make sure that the filename is correct.
(Access to report file denied. Another program may be using it.)

The files are present, neither read-only, nor are they used by another
program.
I am running the 120 Day Test Version.

Any ideas?

Lando Lehmann

> Check this link out...  It is a work around.

> http://www.swynk.com/trent/crysinfo.asp

> -Rob

> > We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> > Crystal reports add-in.
> > The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> > schedule any of the reports they fail.
> > Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> > Cannot open SQL server.

> > What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
> SQL
> > server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure
it
> is
> > a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> > their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> > --
> > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > New Caledonia.
> > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Greg Heywoo » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

How about editing the report manually by Opening Crystal Reports, and trying
to refresh the data from within Crystal Reports. That may give you a more
specific error message.

Greg

> I have the same problem, but with the following error message:

> Unable to open report file. Please make sure that the filename is correct.
> (Access to report file denied. Another program may be using it.)

> The files are present, neither read-only, nor are they used by another
> program.
> I am running the 120 Day Test Version.

> Any ideas?

> Lando Lehmann

> > Check this link out...  It is a work around.

> > http://www.swynk.com/trent/crysinfo.asp

> > -Rob

> > > We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> > > Crystal reports add-in.
> > > The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try
> > > schedule any of the reports they fail.
> > > Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> > > Cannot open SQL server.

> > > What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say
the
> > SQL
> > > server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure
> it
> > is
> > > a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking
and
> > > their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> > > --
> > > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > > New Caledonia.
> > > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > > Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

Cant run any SMS 2.0 reports?

Post by Andrey Matu » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I've got the same problem. I'm using SMS 2.0 SP1 + SQL 7.0 SP1 (integr.
security)

Once I tried NOT to specify any account when I scheduled the report - it
worked !!

Andrey Matus.

R.J.Reynolds

> Apparently, this is a common problem.  Try using the reports generating
from
> an MS Access app located on the Back Office Resource Kit.

> -Bryce

> > We are running SMS 2.0 with service pack1 and have just installed the
> > Crystal reports add-in.
> > The reports show up under Tools-Reports-Configuration but when I try to
> > schedule any of the reports they fail.
> > Checking the report properties shows the reason:
> > Cannot open SQL server.

> > What is happening? Why cant it open the SQL server? Needless to say the
> SQL
> > server can be opened for other things such as inventory etc. I am sure
it
> is
> > a permissions problem but I dont really know where to start looking and
> > their doesnt seem to be a log I can check??

> > --
> > Al Blake,  Information Technology Manager
> > Secretariat of the Pacific Community.
> > BPD5 98848 Noumea Cedex.
> > New Caledonia.
> > Tel +687 26.01.44 Fax +687 26.38.18

> > Web: http://www.spc.org.nc/

1. SMS 2.0 SP1: Reports won't run automatically, only manually from Info Report Designer

I would like to schedule some of the reports from the SMS console.

When I open a report by:
Report > All tasks > Modify report > Info report designer > Report > Refresh
report data
This works fine and I get the report.

When I schedule the report from the SMS console and do a 'Run now' I get a
red cross and
a message saying 'Report failed to run'
When I look in the properties there is Report detail: Failed to open
SQLServer.
So it must be a security problem.
When I schedule the report I use the same administrator (with password) that
I used to install the SMS server.

Do I have to use the SMS account or what am I doing wrong??

Please help this is very urgent!!!! Also mail to:

Thanx!

Wouter from Belgium

2. Dec/Vax Professional publications.

3. Running Reports on SMS 2.0 Beta 2

4. Tutorial: Doing Your Own Telepone Wiring

5. FA: UK only: SGI indy, O2, misc bits

6. Running SMS 2.0 Reports ****PLEASE HELP, NO OUTPUT****

7. LinkSyncronizer

8. Running crystal reports on SMS 2.0 (APS error msg)

9. Running SMS 2.0 Reports ****PLEASE HELP, NO OUTPUT****

10. SMS Web Reporting - Problem Running A Particular Report