CAP's vs. Logon Points

Post by Cory Bec » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone out there understand SMS 2.0 Hierarchy terminology enough to
describe to me the true difference between using logon points and CAPs?  I
understand each, and have read much about the two, but I am still fuzzy
about when and why to use logon points? Aren't they pretty much just a
redirector to a CAP, or am I missing something?

Cory Beck
Software Spectrum - Chicago

CAP's vs. Logon Points

Post by Ian Ture » Fri, 15 Jan 1999 04:00:00

CAPS have all but core client component binaries.  They receive data
discovery records (if logon discovery is disabled), all inventory files, and
store software distribution instruction files (and related distribution
files)

Almost all of the client activity is against the CAPs (and of course DPs)

logon points serve for initial client installation (core client files and
info about cap location and site boundaries) and as a middlemen for data
discovery record (DDR) transfer if logon discovery is enabled

logon points are going to bit hit quite hard during the roll-out phase, CAPs
during the regular operations.

Ian Turek
Systems Scalability Engineer
Gravity Square Inc.
www.gravitysquare.com

Quote:>Does anyone out there understand SMS 2.0 Hierarchy terminology enough to
>describe to me the true difference between using logon points and CAPs?  I
>understand each, and have read much about the two, but I am still fuzzy
>about when and why to use logon points? Aren't they pretty much just a
>redirector to a CAP, or am I missing something?

>Cory Beck
>Software Spectrum - Chicago

1. BDC Logon Points won't become CAP's

Hi all,

We're having a problem with promoting many of our BDC's to CAP's.  Each of
our BDC's have been successfully installed as SMS Logon Points.  We have a
very large client base spread across many WAN links in addition to a large
client seat on a local Ethernet LAN (over 1500 clients in total).

We have successfully promoted one of our BDC's on the local LAN to a CAP,
however we are experiencing a failure whenever we attempt to promote any of
our remaining BDC's, which generally (but not strictly) speaking are on the
opposite side of WAN links.

Using SMSTrace to view the SITECOMP.LOG file on our Central Site Server we
can watch the successful transmission of the appropriate CAP files from the
Central Site Server to the BDC, and even confirm that the CAP_Sxx directory
and all of its appropriate subdirectories are created on the BDC.  The
following SITECOMP.LOG entry shows where things start to go wrong....

Starting service SMS_SERVER_BOOTSTRAP_SMS01 with command-line arguments "S01
F:\SMS /install \\SVR1\F$\SMS\bin\i386\smsexecd.exe...
SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 5/7/99 9:29:49 AM 292 (0x124)

Followed immediately by this failure...

Execution of "\\SVR1\F$\SMS\bin\i386\smsexecd.exe /install
/siteserver:SMS01" on server SVR1 failed: Could not establish a connection
to the site server using the SMS Service Connect Account.
SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER ### 169 (0xA9)

Bootstrap operation failed.   SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER 5/7/99 9:30:09 AM
292 (0x124)

The SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER then continuously and unsuccessfully retries with
every polling cycle.  It is worth mentioning again that this exact error
message is showing up with each and every BDC Logon Point that we attempt to
promote to a CAP.  (except for the server name of course which is specific
to the server).

This error message also appears when we attempt to "roll-back" the CAP
installation by de-selecting the role change.  The only difference is that
there is a "/deinstall" switch provided to the command rather than an
"/install" switch.  They both fail...

If anyone has seen this error, or can shed some additional light on the
problem it would be greatly appreciated.

We are working with MS on this one and will post back if/when we get a fix.

MP

2. CD-ROM

3. Multiple CAP's, Dist, Logon Points Question

4. process for reporting potential vulnerabilities

5. Rules for defining Primary vs. Secondary vs. CAP's etc.

6. Printing form a Web Page

7. Resetting the CAP and Logon Point

8. Regular bitsurfr with NT3.5

9. Error - Failed to convert CAP path 'ABEXPRT:\\CAP List for site xxx'

10. NDS Logon point and CAP

11. rebuilt site server; how do regain caps and logon points?

12. NDS Logon point and CAP

13. how do you remove logon point and CAP?