Help ---Expert Advice Needed--- Help

Post by legio » Fri, 01 Sep 2000 04:00:00

My Objective

I plan to update all domain clients MS Office 2K to Office 2k SR1a. I
also need to update IE 4/5 to IE5 SP1a and Outlook 2k with security
update. I have also plans to apply MS security patches to Win98/95 e.g
msdun1.3,winsock....and service packs for NT clients. My question is
whether is there any solution for seamless updating of patches on
clients' PC remotely, without enduser intervention ?  I need expert
advice as to whether SMS software distribution tool can perform these
tasks???

Thanks in advance

Help ---Expert Advice Needed--- Help

Post by sms admi » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:26:53

sms could do it, but you've got a lot of work ahead of you, as those patches
you describe are pretty ambitious.  the problem with doing IE and outlook
updates is that upon the next reboot for nt workstations, the next user to
logon has to be a local admin.

the win9x winsock updates are much easier to do.  nt service packs aren't
too bad, except when a user reboots the pc in the middle of one.

Quote:> My Objective

> I plan to update all domain clients MS Office 2K to Office 2k SR1a. I
> also need to update IE 4/5 to IE5 SP1a and Outlook 2k with security
> update. I have also plans to apply MS security patches to Win98/95 e.g
> msdun1.3,winsock....and service packs for NT clients. My question is
> whether is there any solution for seamless updating of patches on
> clients' PC remotely, without enduser intervention ?  I need expert
> advice as to whether SMS software distribution tool can perform these
> tasks???

> Thanks in advance

Help ---Expert Advice Needed--- Help

Post by Terry Matthew » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:33:46

Go with IE 5.5 it is easier than 5.0 to upgrade to.  As for your question
yes you can use SMS to do all this without anything being seen by the users.
If you do choose to use the autologon way (for IE) just schedule it at a
time when no users are logged on like 10pm or something.
But the best bet is to hire someone who has experience doing these package
creations.  It'll save you time and money down the road.
Terry

Quote:> My Objective

> I plan to update all domain clients MS Office 2K to Office 2k SR1a. I
> also need to update IE 4/5 to IE5 SP1a and Outlook 2k with security
> update. I have also plans to apply MS security patches to Win98/95 e.g
> msdun1.3,winsock....and service packs for NT clients. My question is
> whether is there any solution for seamless updating of patches on
> clients' PC remotely, without enduser intervention ?  I need expert
> advice as to whether SMS software distribution tool can perform these
> tasks???

> Thanks in advance

1. Chris,Hal,Mariette HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

Hi, hope all is well with the 3 of you, anyway down to business, one of our
clients which is a 2000 machine is having this weirf issue . It is not part
of any of our SBS Networks and is used as the aaccounts and is stand alone.
The machine has an ISDN adapter built into and everything is fine. The
machine is running very smoothly except for one thing when we go to set up
an account to our local ISP,  go to network & dial up connections- make new
connection  - everything is greyed out except "Dial up to the Internet".
When i go next on that option nothing happens, What am i doing
wrong?????????????????????????/.

All Hardware is compliant, Windows 2000 SP1, no other net related software
loaded.

As always thanks for any help or guidance given.

Ed.

2. Best price on Velo

3. Need some "expert" advice please

4. CAPI Interface

5. Secondary site experts help needed!

6. how to catch the event when user double click on an attachment in Outlook XP

7. I need help from an Network expert!!!

8. Scanjet 4p help needed

9. Need expert advice on suitablility of Samba for task

10. Attention Samba experts: need help

11. SNMP / MIBS Expert needed to help lost amatuer

12. URGENT SECURITY ADVICE NEEDED...PLEASE HELP

13. Help! I need some advice