TIM-40 Module

Post by aaron.michael.ches » Sun, 01 Nov 1992 04:55:47

Folks,
        I am on a project where I need to pack as much DSP power as I can,
so I am investigating the use of Texas Instruments TMS320C40 DSPs in an array.
From what I hear several manufacturers make modules call TIM-40 modules that
contain TMS320C40 processors and local RAM, to form a mini 'C40 core "on a
stick". Do any of you know of any companies that make such a module? Better
yet, do any of you have any practical experience with the modules? Are they
good?
        I'd really appreciate any input you can give me.

Aaron Michael Chesir
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Room HO3C206
1-(908)-949-1530

TIM-40 Module

Post by Craig F. Ree » Sun, 08 Nov 1992 02:02:48

>Folks,
>    I am on a project where I need to pack as much DSP power as I can,
>so I am investigating the use of Texas Instruments TMS320C40 DSPs in an array.
>From what I hear several manufacturers make modules call TIM-40 modules that
>contain TMS320C40 processors and local RAM, to form a mini 'C40 core "on a
>stick". Do any of you know of any companies that make such a module? Better
>yet, do any of you have any practical experience with the modules? Are they
>good?
>    I'd really appreciate any input you can give me.

>Aaron Michael Chesir
>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>Room HO3C206
>1-(908)-949-1530

Sorry to take so long to mention this but I just remembered where
I saw the article.

In the Oct. 12 issue of Electonic Engineering Times (pg. 43) there is
mention of a TI MCM (single ceramic quad flat pack) that contains the
following:

    Four 320C40s each with 256k/32 SRAM
    and 256x32 bit Global SRAM

The C40s are supposedly completely connect and 3 comm. ports from each
C40 come off chip.  The global bus is also brought off chip.

There really is no detailed discussion of this beast.  Just a picture.
I don't know if this is a lab curiosity or a real/future product,
but if you're looking to pack C40 power into a small space, well...

Craig

*** The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect
*** those of any other land dwelling mammals....

"The problem ain't what we don't know; it's what we know that just ain't so
Either we take familiar things so much for granted that we never think about
how they originated, or we "know" too much about them to investigate closely."
-----------------

Institute for Defense Analyses/
Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Dr.
Bowie, MD  20715-4300

TIM-40 Module

Post by Kenneth Blackl » Sat, 14 Nov 1992 01:00:39

>>Folks,
>>        I am on a project where I need to pack as much DSP power as I can,
>>so I am investigating the use of Texas Instruments TMS320C40 DSPs in an array.
>>From what I hear several manufacturers make modules call TIM-40 modules that
>>contain TMS320C40 processors and local RAM, to form a mini 'C40 core "on a
>>stick". Do any of you know of any companies that make such a module? Better
>>yet, do any of you have any practical experience with the modules? Are they
>>good?
>>        I'd really appreciate any input you can give me.

>>Aaron Michael Chesir
>>AT&T Bell Laboratories
>>Room HO3C206
>>1-(908)-949-1530

>Sorry to take so long to mention this but I just remembered where
>I saw the article.
>In the Oct. 12 issue of Electonic Engineering Times (pg. 43) there is
>mention of a TI MCM (single ceramic quad flat pack) that contains the
>following:
>    Four 320C40s each with 256k/32 SRAM
>    and 256x32 bit Global SRAM
>The C40s are supposedly completely connect and 3 comm. ports from each
>C40 come off chip.  The global bus is also brought off chip.re really is
> no detailed discussion of this beast.  Just a picture.
>I don't know if this is a lab curiosity or a real/future product,
>but if you're looking to pack C40 power into a small space, well...

Does anyone have more details of this apparently 4-in-1 C40??????

KenB
--
 ______________________________________   ____________   _____________

|JET Joint Undertaking, Abingdon       | |   | |_ |   | |Energy for the|
|Oxfordshire, England. OX14 3EA        | | \_/ |_ |   | | (far) future |
- Disclaimer: Please note that the above is a personal view and should not
  be construed as an official comment from the JET project.

TIM-40 Module

Post by aaron.michael.ches » Wed, 18 Nov 1992 01:11:09

According to Ron Thomas of the TI DSP hotline, the 4-in-one 'C40 MCM is a
project with currently shaky financial commitment. Each C40 has 1 MByte RAM
(local), and all 4 share the global bus. They are thinking of sampling in mid-
1993. Heat dissipation estimated between 8 to 12 Watts (depending on duty cycle
of SRAM use). Size: 2" x 2" x 0.5". Price unknown, since the funding for the
project is unclear.

TI is more confident about a 2-in-1 module, expected sampling early 93, 40 MHz
5-8 Watts, 2.65" x 2.65" x 0.175", $8500 <100 pieces. 128K x 32 local SRAM,
EACH global bus is brought out.
The reason the 4-in-1 is smaller than the 2-in-1 is that they are using a new
MCM technique for the 4-in-1 fabrication.

Aaron Michael Chesir
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Room HO3C206
1-(908)-949-1530

1. Are there TIM-40 modules for accessing disks (SCSI)

The subject says it all. Is anyone aware of a SCSI card for the C40? I
have an application where I want to read a lot of data quickly off a
disk and send it around. Coming through the host interface is too
slow.

max

--

C&C Research, NEC USA   Princeton, NJ, 08540        fax:   (609)951-2499

2. RACKMOUNT MODEMS NEEDED FOR AN ISP

3. TIM-40 Module manufacturers

4. clear cdr labels

5. Looking for: TIM-40 TMS320C4x Module Specification (SPRZ103)

6. Need recommendation for High Density MDF

7. Anyone uses TMS 320C4x with fast SCSI-2 53C720 Chip (TIM-40) ?

8. Bugs or stupidity: debugger, LString.cp

9. TIM-40 with A/D converters

10. Kernel Driver for Hunt Engineering HEPC3/HECPCI1 TIM-40 cards

11. TIM-40 pinout

12. Kernel Driver for Hunt Engineering HEPC3/HECPCI1 TIM-40 cards