Bell Correlations At 6 Miles

Post by ca31415 » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> >... I might take SED more seriously if it was shown
> > how increasing noise would improve detection efficiency.  Usually
> > detectors are cooled to reduce noise and improve efficiency.

> There was an article (in SciAm? or New Scientist?) fairly recently about
> how adding noise can improve detection efficiency.

   Squeezed light http://av.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=squeezed+light
   seems to have alot in common with some of the methods used in
   DSP: http://www.bdti.com/faq/

   mu-law is one data compression technique that introduces "noise"
   in a sense to pull out correlated values and reject the largely
   non-correlated ones for the simple reason to reduce the amount
   of transmitted information; which is not exactly the same as squeezed
   light, but I  seem to recall some DSP methods that introduce noise
   for the purpose of increasing some desirable component of signal
   strength. Maybe someone in comp.dsp can help ?

   Newsgroups: sci.physics,comp.dsp
   Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:13:26 -0700

   > >... I might take SED more seriously if it was shown
   > > how increasing noise would improve detection efficiency.  Usually
   > > detectors are cooled to reduce noise and improve efficiency.
   >
   > There was an article (in SciAm? or New Scientist?) fairly recently about
   > how adding noise can improve detection efficiency.

      Squeezed light http://www.veryComputer.com/+light
      seems to have alot in common with some of the methods used in
      DSP: http://www.veryComputer.com/

      mu-law is one data compression technique that introduces "noise"
      in a sense to pull out correlated values and reject the largely
      non-correlated ones for the simple reason to reduce the amount
      of transmitted information; which is not exactly the same as squeezed
      light, but I  seem to recall some DSP methods that introduce noise
      for the purpose of increasing some desirable component of signal
      strength. Maybe someone in comp.dsp can help ?

It is called stochastic resonance:

Adi R. Bulsara and Luca Gammaitoni, "Tuning in to Noise",
Physics Today, vol. 49, no. 3, Mar. 1996, pg. 39.

Post by ca31415 » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>    > >... I might take SED more seriously if it was shown
>    > > how increasing noise would improve detection efficiency.  Usually
>    > > detectors are cooled to reduce noise and improve efficiency.

>    > There was an article (in SciAm? or New Scientist?) fairly recently about
>    > how adding noise can improve detection efficiency.

>       Squeezed light http://av.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=squeezed+light
>       seems to have alot in common with some of the methods used in
>       DSP: http://www.bdti.com/faq/

>       mu-law is one data compression technique that introduces "noise"
>       in a sense to pull out correlated values and reject the largely
>       non-correlated ones for the simple reason to reduce the amount
>       of transmitted information; which is not exactly the same as squeezed
>       light, but I  seem to recall some DSP methods that introduce noise
>       for the purpose of increasing some desirable component of signal
>       strength. Maybe someone in comp.dsp can help ?

> It is called stochastic resonance:

> Adi R. Bulsara and Luca Gammaitoni, "Tuning in to Noise",
> Physics Today, vol. 49, no. 3, Mar. 1996, pg. 39.

     That's it. Thanks.

     I was thinking it had something to do with parametric amplifiers.

1. Correlation algorithm and purpose of auto-correlation, please?

Hi,
I would need some Basic/C sourcecode (or maybe the
explanation of the algorithm) to implement correlation.

Also, I would have a theoretical question: when and why
is useful to do auto-correlation to a single signal? I
know why it's useful to correlate two signals.. but one?

Thanks,
Mike

2. vserver.vxd not found

3. Correlations of discrete signals (autocorrelation and cross-correlation)

4. Can Quicktime Run under Warp Webx or Netcomber? HOW?

5. Bell 202

6. regedit missing in Win98 with a win 2k install.

7. BELL modems

8. IIS and support for ASP.Net

9. Bell Modems

10. Packard Bell