linux and c6201 EVM

Post by Dinesh Dharmara » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 06:42:43

Hello Everyone,
  We have a TI 6201 EVM card, which would have to be configured as a
network interface to which IP can direct packets. Now, to make it a
network interface, I understand that we will have to write a network
driver. I figured out that the best way to do that would be to operate
the EVM in Linux and use a Linux driver. Now, the code development has
to take place in Windows as code composer runs only on windows.  Now,
I am wondering how I can boot the card in Linux, load the coff file
resulting from code composer to the DSP and make the DSP run the code
in Linux.
  From some previous mails in the mailing list, I found that people
have tried using the EVM in a linux machine. Is WINE the best way to
go about with that ? Now, can code composer be used in WINE ? Can
things like loading the COFF file, ersetting the DSP, restarting the
DSP, etc. be done when code composer is operated in WINE ? If Code
composer can't be used can tools like load6x and other things be used
?
  If I am not able to use WINE, what is the best way to use the DSP in
Linux ? I read through the TI document SPRA512, which describes the
HPI boot procedure. Using this procedure, apparently I can load the
load the COFF file onto the DSP.
But how can I make the DSP run, reset etc ?
Any insights in this issue will be much appreciated. I will also
appreciate if you can let me know what all stuff you can do using
WINE.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Dinesh.

linux and c6201 EVM

Post by Raman Naraya » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 07:59:47

Hi Dinesh,

   I am not sure how effectively you could use wine to do the
job that you've mentioned.  My suggestion would be to use
Win4Lin(http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin30/index.php),
as it has native drivers for interfacing with Linux, apart from
the low cost, and ease of setup.  I am doubtful if you could access
your EVM card directly from windows(you should not have problem
in using the parallel/serial ports however).  If you really need low
level access to the card, you may have to write a driver yourself
(I am not sure how complex it could be, as I don't have much idea
on how Win4Lin emulates windows, but doing the same with
"vmware" could be straight forward?(native x86 access)).

    I hope you find my suggestion helpful.

Regards
Raman

> Hello Everyone,
>   We have a TI 6201 EVM card, which would have to be configured as a
> network interface to which IP can direct packets. Now, to make it a
> network interface, I understand that we will have to write a network
> driver. I figured out that the best way to do that would be to operate
> the EVM in Linux and use a Linux driver. Now, the code development has
> to take place in Windows as code composer runs only on windows.  Now,
> I am wondering how I can boot the card in Linux, load the coff file
> resulting from code composer to the DSP and make the DSP run the code
> in Linux.
>   From some previous mails in the mailing list, I found that people
> have tried using the EVM in a linux machine. Is WINE the best way to
> go about with that ? Now, can code composer be used in WINE ? Can
> things like loading the COFF file, ersetting the DSP, restarting the
> DSP, etc. be done when code composer is operated in WINE ? If Code
> composer can't be used can tools like load6x and other things be used
> ?
>   If I am not able to use WINE, what is the best way to use the DSP in
> Linux ? I read through the TI document SPRA512, which describes the
> HPI boot procedure. Using this procedure, apparently I can load the
> load the COFF file onto the DSP.
> But how can I make the DSP run, reset etc ?
> Any insights in this issue will be much appreciated. I will also
> appreciate if you can let me know what all stuff you can do using
> WINE.
> Thank you.
> Sincerely,
> Dinesh.

linux and c6201 EVM

Post by Herman Oosthuyse » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:58:39

Give Wine a try first - it costs nothing and works fairly well with this
sort of thing.

Cheers,

Herman
http://www.AerospaceSoftware.com

> Hi Dinesh,

>    I am not sure how effectively you could use wine to do the
> job that you've mentioned.  My suggestion would be to use
> Win4Lin(http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin30/index.php),
> as it has native drivers for interfacing with Linux, apart from
> the low cost, and ease of setup.  I am doubtful if you could access
> your EVM card directly from windows(you should not have problem
> in using the parallel/serial ports however).  If you really need low
> level access to the card, you may have to write a driver yourself
> (I am not sure how complex it could be, as I don't have much idea
> on how Win4Lin emulates windows, but doing the same with
> "vmware" could be straight forward?(native x86 access)).

>     I hope you find my suggestion helpful.

> Regards
> Raman

> > Hello Everyone,
> >   We have a TI 6201 EVM card, which would have to be configured as a
> > network interface to which IP can direct packets. Now, to make it a
> > network interface, I understand that we will have to write a network
> > driver. I figured out that the best way to do that would be to operate
> > the EVM in Linux and use a Linux driver. Now, the code development has
> > to take place in Windows as code composer runs only on windows.  Now,
> > I am wondering how I can boot the card in Linux, load the coff file
> > resulting from code composer to the DSP and make the DSP run the code
> > in Linux.
> >   From some previous mails in the mailing list, I found that people
> > have tried using the EVM in a linux machine. Is WINE the best way to
> > go about with that ? Now, can code composer be used in WINE ? Can
> > things like loading the COFF file, ersetting the DSP, restarting the
> > DSP, etc. be done when code composer is operated in WINE ? If Code
> > composer can't be used can tools like load6x and other things be used
> > ?
> >   If I am not able to use WINE, what is the best way to use the DSP in
> > Linux ? I read through the TI document SPRA512, which describes the
> > HPI boot procedure. Using this procedure, apparently I can load the
> > load the COFF file onto the DSP.
> > But how can I make the DSP run, reset etc ?
> > Any insights in this issue will be much appreciated. I will also
> > appreciate if you can let me know what all stuff you can do using
> > WINE.
> > Thank you.
> > Sincerely,
> > Dinesh.

linux and c6201 EVM

Post by Phillip Musumec » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:59:11

See http://mirriwinni.cse.rmit.edu.au/~phillip/dsp for some information on:

(1) using the TI CCS tools under wine; and
(2) source code for a C6211/C6711 (not C6201) downloader on *BSD.

This might help you.

Cheers,
phillip

--
Dr Phillip Musumeci __  /\   Communications Engineering,
Snr Lecturer       /  \/ ~\  School of Electrical and Computer

1. HPI booting c6201 evm in Linux

Hello,
 This is a continuation of my previous email to this group.
I have another problem with the EVM board, which started recently.

I found that the code composer is not able to access the c6201 evm
target board because of conflicting addresses. This was a recent
development.
 I traced this problem to an invalid host-PC memory mapped address
being allocated to BAR4 memory region, because it wrongly shows that
BAR4 is a region of 0x10 bytes insted of 0x4000 bytes( as per spru305
pp 1-25, 1-26... and table
1-8). Do you guys have any solution to this ?
Thanks in advance,
Dinesh

2. Quick Panel software for microtek 330 EPP

3. HPI booting c6201 evm in linux

4. Add Network Place not functioning

5. TI EVM C6201 under Linux

6. How many buffers?

7. EVM C6201 under Linux ?

8. VMS and FUJI printer M3041C

9. TI AIC10 EVM and C6201/C6701 EVM

10. C6201-EVM and Win2000

11. How to use the Tiger c6201/pci EVM board?

12. TMS C6201 EVM board problem

13. Code-Composer, C6201 EVM, C I/O functions