FIWIZ source code now available

Post by Rainer Stor » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:40:22

Hi all,

FIWIZ, the evolutionary-based digital filter design program
(http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/fiwiz.html) is now
available in source code form. Please visit the above site
if you are interested.

Regards

Rainer

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:12:51

> Hi all,

> FIWIZ, the evolutionary-based digital filter design program
> (http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/fiwiz.html) is now
> available in source code form. Please visit the above site
> if you are interested.

Well done, you've just wasted 5 minutes of my time.

I really think you should mention that this "source code" costs
US$450.

Erik

"And MS thinks Linux is vulnerable to forking? 95, 95 OEM SR2, 98, 98SE,
ME, NT, 2000, Bob, .NET, CE, Datacenter, Server, Adv. Server, and now
Web Server, sheesh." -- BTS on LinuxToday.com

Post by robert bristow-johnso » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 06:22:49

>> Hi all,

>> FIWIZ, the evolutionary-based digital filter design program
>> (http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/fiwiz.html) is now
>> available in source code form. Please visit the above site
>> if you are interested.

> Well done, you've just wasted 5 minutes of my time.

> I really think you should mention that this "source code" costs
> US$450.

hey, c'mon Erik.  we all gotta eat.

Quote:> "And MS thinks Linux is vulnerable to forking? 95, 95 OEM SR2, 98, 98SE,
> ME, NT, 2000, Bob, .NET, CE, Datacenter, Server, Adv. Server, and now
> Web Server, sheesh."

hey, it's like Pigboy.  if Bill G. sez it, it's gotta be true.

(i wonder if i should revive my "Don't give in to the Dark Side..." sig
file?)

r b-j

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 08:28:14

> >> Hi all,

> >> FIWIZ, the evolutionary-based digital filter design program
> >> (http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/fiwiz.html) is now
> >> available in source code form. Please visit the above site
> >> if you are interested.

> > Well done, you've just wasted 5 minutes of my time.

> > I really think you should mention that this "source code" costs
> > US$450.

> hey, c'mon Erik.  we all gotta eat.

Maybe coming from the Linux world my view is somewhat biased but 99.999999% of
the times I see "source code" there is no cost attached. Rainer Storn is
breaking with the convention that I and a lot of others are used to.

I've got no problem at all with him charging for the code (its his right). I would
just like him to state honestly that the source code is not free of charge so I
can choose not to go to his web page.

Erik

"I have long argued that the entertainment industry doesn't want people to have
computers. Computers give users too much capability, too much flexibility, too
much freedom. The entertainment industry wants users to sit back and consume
things. They are trying to turn a computer into an Internet Entertainment
Platform, along the lines of a television or VCR. This bill is a large step in
that direction."
 -- Bruce Schneier

Post by Phil Frisbie, Jr » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:08:10

> hey, c'mon Erik.  we all gotta eat.

I agree, but I wonder if UC Berkeley approves of commercial products on their
web pages ;~)

Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Lead Developer, Hawk Software
http://www.hawksoft.com

1. New Version of FIWIZ filter designer available shortly

The new version 1.1 of FIWIZ
(http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/~storn/fiwiz.html)
will be available shortly. As a new feature coefficient quantization can
be
incorporated into the design (as opposed to designing a filter and
quantizing
the coefficients afterwards). Customers of Fiwiz will receive the
upgrade to version
1.1 at no charge.

FIWIZ is a constraint based design program for IIR as well as FIR
digital filters which is geared towards features which are difficult if
at all to find
in other filter design programs. FIWIZ's main features are:

Arbitrary magnitude constraints
Arbitrary group delay constraints
Direct design in Z-domain, no analog prototypes for IIR filters
Minimum phase filters
Linear phase filters
Output of poles and zeroes
MATLAB friendly output format
Storage and retrieval of configuration files
Platform independence through JAVA technology
Wizard based approach
Versatile plotting (zooming in and out possible)

2. Winnov AV card and camcorders

3. Source code available for ST97 PCI bus soundcards

4. ATI BRAVO, how well does it WARP?

5. linear quadtree source code in C++ available

6. Uninstall NW 3.12

7. DTMF decoder for 21xx(source code available)

8. Compaq Insight Manager

9. MPEG-2 source code and MS-DOS executables available via anon. FTP

10. Public C source code for MPEG1 audio decoder now available

11. All DSP for FAX G3 available !!! (source code)

12. 64 IEEE arithmetic library available in source code.

13. Is "hamming code" a channel or source coding?