I am new to adaptive environment ... help need !!!!

I am new to adaptive environment ... help need !!!!

Post by chin » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:51:19

Can any body explain me the difference in iterative and recursive
logic ??
Actually I am refering to LMS(least mean square) and RLS (Recursive
least square) algorithms...

thanks in advance.

-chinch

I am new to adaptive environment ... help need !!!!

Post by V » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 22:07:04

LMS is an "iterative" method to implement the MMSE filter, and RLS is
a "recursive" method to implement the Least Squares (LS) filter. If
you are new to the "adaptive" environment, I'd strongly suggest you
take a look at Simon Haykin's "Adaptive Filter Theory".

-VC.

> Can any body explain me the difference in iterative and recursive
> logic ??
> Actually I am refering to LMS(least mean square) and RLS (Recursive
> least square) algorithms...

> thanks in advance.

> -chinch

I am new to adaptive environment ... help need !!!!

Post by chin » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:03:12

Thanks VC...
I m using Haykin's "Adaptive Filter Theory"...but i could not find or
may be understand the difference between recursive and iterative
logic...can you explain me the same ?

-chinch

> LMS is an "iterative" method to implement the MMSE filter, and RLS is
> a "recursive" method to implement the Least Squares (LS) filter. If
> you are new to the "adaptive" environment, I'd strongly suggest you
> take a look at Simon Haykin's "Adaptive Filter Theory".

> -VC.

> > Can any body explain me the difference in iterative and recursive
> > logic ??
> > Actually I am refering to LMS(least mean square) and RLS (Recursive
> > least square) algorithms...

> > thanks in advance.

> > -chinch

I am new to adaptive environment ... help need !!!!

Post by Joe Turpi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:41:03

Hi Chinch,

I am just a first year CS student and have just been introduced to
recursion. If what I'm posting is way off base and doesn't apply, please
forgive this newbie. The textbook definition is as foollows:

"A function is said to be defined recursively or to be a recursive function
if its rule of definition refers to itself."

We did some simple recursive programming using SML. Here is a recursive
function to find the power of a number where the first argument passed to
the function is the base and the second is the power:

fun power(m,0)=1
|     power(m,1)=m
|     power(m,n)=m * power(m,n-1);

The first two lines are what is called the basis case, which contain the
exit condition, and the final line is the general case in which the function
refers to itself.

The professor has his lecture notes online at the following address if it'll
help:
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~cse113/ref/lecture15.pdf

Your on your own as far as iterative methods goes.

Sincerely,
Joe

1. Help, I am new in the newsgroup

First, hi to everybody...

Second,
I am working on a project which consists in creation of DSP effects such as
hall, stadium etc. using MATLAB, starting from recorded Wav files (not in
real-time, obviously)

I would appreciate any link to sites which describe the principles of hall
and reverb effects, to build some filters in matlab, and to convolve them
with my wav files.

I'm not sure if this newsgroup concerns this kind of topics, but any help
would be very useful

----------------------------------
Luca Negri

Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Computer Engineering

2. Credentials conflict

3. I am novice in this field , I need help.

4. TI Buys Tartan

5. need help with adaptive filtering using gradient search

6. Lets See, May is Having Pintos Again...

7. Help needed, Adaptive Equalization

8. Connect to UUCP

9. ***->NEED HELP,PLEASE, ON ADAPTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION & WINDOWS PROG FOR

10. NEED HELP,PLEASE, ON ADAPTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION

11. Adaptive Filter, need help w/ derivation

12. ***>NEED HELP,PLEASE, ON ADAPTIVE NOISE CANCELLATION<***

13. New 2 Group and Need help pls!