VirtualPC 5.2 (on W Server 2003) running RedHat 9.0

VirtualPC 5.2 (on W Server 2003) running RedHat 9.0

Post by Patrick Flahert » Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:44:08

Hi,

Have a W Server 2003 box.  Downloaded VirtualPC 5.2 from MSDN and managed, with
some trouble, to get it installed.

I feel (know) VirtualPC is working because I have a Windows 2000 Server
partition ('PC') running already.  (Where I test-run apps that don't seem to run
properly under 2003).

  Figured I'd add RedHat Linux (9.0) as well.

Everything seemed to install fine (seperate partition of course from W 2000
Server).  Boot up - everything look OK.

But when I get a login screen screen (I picked the GUI install of Workstation)
the screen is very strange; unreadable; and unusable.  Long and thin; black
background with hazy colored colored objects which presumably are the objects to
be found on the GUI login screen.  They don't respond to mouse-clicks.

VirtualPC says that it emulates an S3 Trio 32/64 PCI card and that's
(more-or-less I think) what I picked during the install.  The _actual_ card on
my machine is an NVidia dual-hdr (with which I've had other problems with Server
2003).

I can of course reinstall into Virtual-Console-or-whatever (line-oriented) mode
and that wouldn't be too painful.

But is there any secret keystroke combination where, once I'm up at the GUI
login, it will drop me back into line-oriented login (which I'm assuming will
care less about video card characteristics)?

  thanx.

  pat

VirtualPC 5.2 (on W Server 2003) running RedHat 9.0

Post by aaron matthew croyl » Wed, 10 Sep 2003 03:59:09

Hello,

The keystroke you are looking for is alt-ctrl-F1.

- --

- -=- Aaron Croyle
- -=- Sysadmin for the NOWLab (http://nowlab.cis.ohio-state.edu)

"If you don't know where you want to go, we'll make sure you get taken."
        -- Japanese translation of Microsoft's slogan

Protect yourself from the government:
http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=11323&c=130

Get my public GPG key here:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~croyle/croyle.cis.asc

Fingerprint: CFCF 6744 3AE1 98F6 7BC2  4896 06BD 1EB6 FB83 1A86

Quote:> Hi,

Post by patrick flaher » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:43:28

> Hello,

> The keystroke you are looking for is alt-ctrl-F1.

> - --

> - -=- Aaron Croyle
> - -=- Sysadmin for the NOWLab (http://nowlab.cis.ohio-state.edu)

> "If you don't know where you want to go, we'll make sure you get taken."
>         -- Japanese translation of Microsoft's slogan

> Protect yourself from the government:
> http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=11323&c=130

> Get my public GPG key here:
> http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~croyle/croyle.cis.asc

> Fingerprint: CFCF 6744 3AE1 98F6 7BC2  4896 06BD 1EB6 FB83 1A86

> > Hi,

> > Have a W Server 2003 box.  Downloaded VirtualPC 5.2 from MSDN and managed, with
> > some trouble, to get it installed.

> > I feel (know) VirtualPC is working because I have a Windows 2000 Server
> > partition ('PC') running already.  (Where I test-run apps that don't seem to run
> > properly under 2003).

> >   Figured I'd add RedHat Linux (9.0) as well.

> > Everything seemed to install fine (seperate partition of course from W 2000
> > Server).  Boot up - everything look OK.

> > But when I get a login screen screen (I picked the GUI install of Workstation)
> > the screen is very strange; unreadable; and unusable.  Long and thin; black
> > background with hazy colored colored objects which presumably are the objects to
> > be found on the GUI login screen.  They don't respond to mouse-clicks.

> > VirtualPC says that it emulates an S3 Trio 32/64 PCI card and that's
> > (more-or-less I think) what I picked during the install.  The _actual_ card on
> > my machine is an NVidia dual-hdr (with which I've had other problems with Server
> > 2003).

> > I can of course reinstall into Virtual-Console-or-whatever (line-oriented) mode
> > and that wouldn't be too painful.

> > But is there any secret keystroke combination where, once I'm up at the GUI
> > login, it will drop me back into line-oriented login (which I'm assuming will
> > care less about video card characteristics)?

Thanx Aaron,

  Yes you're right - that worked.

  Although if you'll look in linux.redhat.install (me = patrick
flaherty), you'll see that I get the install (GUI interface) working
properly finally by selecting a slightly different monitor type.

  I'd also found that you can drop into line-oriented linux, the long
way if you will, when, at the 'select an os' screen, you hit 'e' then
boot into

  kernel /vmlinuz  (adding <space> single to the end)

  So it was all a good learning experience.

  Building gcc-related projects with Linux is _much_ better than
Windows + Cygwin!  (which is what I'd hoped).

  pat

1. 10th FEM Workshop 2003 at the University of Ulm, 17th/18th July 2003

Online registration form now on our website:
http://www.uni-ulm.de/uni/intgruppen/fem/registration.html

Announcement: 10th FEM Workshop 2003 at the University of Ulm
on July 17th and 18th 2003 in Ulm.

Since the extension of the FEM Workshop 2002 to an international
conference turned out to be very successful and was approved by all
participants, the FEM Workshop 2003 will also be held in English.

The Program of this years workshop is in the web for your information
under http://www.uni-ulm.de/uni/intgruppen/fem/prog03_english.html

Due to the large success of the past workshops, this year we are
celebrating the 10th anniversary of our workshop on
"The Finite Element Method in Biomedical Engineering, Biomechanics, and
Related Fields ".

During the last nine years the workshop has provided an ideal
possibility for the exchange of knowledge and experience in different
fields of research. The workshop covers all aspects on computational
methods (especially the Finite Element Method) applied to Biomechanics,
Biomedical Engineering and Biomedicine. A broad spectrum of topics will
give an excellent overview over the present state of the art and shows a
variety of application possibilities of the Finite Element Method in
Biomechanics. In particular, young scientists will have the opportunity
to present and discuss their research results in an open-minded
scientific environment.

We cordially invite you to Ulm and would be pleased to welcome you as a
participant to contribute actively to the discussions of this workshop.
Should you be interested in participating in the workshop, we
kindly ask you to complete the online registration form on our homepage:

http://www.uni-ulm.de/uni/intgruppen/fem/registration.html

In case of any questions, please contact me by e-mail.

For further information regarding workshop topics, registration, travel
and accommodation please visit the workshop website:

http://www.uni-ulm.de/uni/intgruppen/fem

We kindly ask you to pass this invitation on to interested colleagues.
Thank you very much for your attention and

kind regards

Martin Geiger.

- --
Universitaetsklinikum Ulm
Abteilung Kieferorthopaedie
Oberer Eselsberg, D-89081 Ulm

Tel.: ++49 731 500 23736
FAX.: ++49 731 500 23686

2. HP 450

3. WTB: Action Replay cart. 5.2 or 6.0

4. Quick Links webpart

5. CPE 5.2: out of memory ?

6. What's it going to be?

7. MAC emulation on SGI/IRIX 5.2

8. Ravie

9. Is anyone running Linux on VirtualPC

10. Call for Papers Game-On 2003, Simulation and AI in Computer Games, London 19-21 Nov, 2003

11. ESMC European Simulation and Modelling Conference , Naples 27-29 October, 2003 Final Call for Papers

12. ICCS 2003: Final Call for Papers

13. *** OUT RUN *** OUT RUN *** OUT RUN *** OUT RUN*** IN BMP FORMAT !!!!!!!!!!