Apple Panic - Found out what happens at the end of the game .....

Apple Panic - Found out what happens at the end of the game .....

Post by Moose OMalle » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

My memory is a little fuzzy remembering 18 years ago,
but I am pretty sure that Apple Panic was the second game I
got for the Apple ][, way back in early 1980.  Artillery (written in
BASIC) was my first Apple ][ game.

Anyway, 18+ years later, I was curious to know what
happened in later levels of Apple Panic, as I don't
think I had ever gotten higher than levels 10-15.

Thanks to the wonders of emulation, and the excellent
Apple PC emulator (which allows save states), I finally
finished Apple Panic at 3:00 AM on December 2, 1998.

There are a few surprises in the game :

1.  There are no Quad Hole monsters !!
    There are monsters that must be dropped through
    1, 2, or 3 levels to be killed, but no monsters
    that must be dropped through 4 levels.

2.  There are only 48 levels !

3.  At the end of Level 48, the game exits and this
    message is displayed :

       START ADDRESS = $7000

         PROGRAMMED BY T.NAGAWA
                       S.BEPPU

       (OKYAMA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE)

*S

Which doesn't mention Broderbund at all.  Are these
the hackers of the game ?  Or are these the real
programmers ?

Bizare !!

If anyone else :
- has seen this message, or,
- can shed some light on things, or,
- wants my Apple PC save state for Level 48, or,
- is / was also a fan of this game,

Let me know !!!

Also, the Apple ][ disk image I have :-

**  ApplePanic_ApplePanicJoystick_ApplePanicTitle.dsk

is a hacked version, so if anyone has a disk image of the original /
uncracked game let me know - it would be interesting to see if
it happens in the original game as well, or if, as I was expecting,
some kind of end game demo is displayed (like at the start -
when the monster jumps on the guy's head).

One thing is for sure - without Save states, I would never have made
it to the end - with 8 Triple Hole monsters on screen at once, things
got pretty tough.

All the best

Mike "Moose" O'Malley
Moose's $5 Shareware & Arcade Emulation Valley

Australia : http://www.rocknet.net.au/~moose/
Tripod    : http://members.tripod.com/~Mooseface
Geocites  : http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/4406/
XOOM      : http://members.xoom.com/Moose_head/

Post by Dwight L » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>3.  At the end of Level 48, the game exits and this
>    message is displayed :
>       START ADDRESS = $7000
>         PROGRAMMED BY T.NAGAWA
>                       S.BEPPU
>       (OKYAMA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE)
>*S
>Which doesn't mention Broderbund at all.  Are these
>the hackers of the game ?  Or are these the real
>programmers ?

I believe that these are the real programmers.  Broderbund licensed
some games from Star Craft, including but not limited to, if I recall
correctly, Galaxy Wars, Puck-Man, and Star Blazer, along with Apple
Panic.

Quote:>Also, the Apple ][ disk image I have :-
>**  ApplePanic_ApplePanicJoystick_ApplePanicTitle.dsk
>is a hacked version, so if anyone has a disk image of the original /
>uncracked game let me know - it would be interesting to see if
>it happens in the original game as well, or if, as I was expecting,
>some kind of end game demo is displayed (like at the start -
>when the monster jumps on the guy's head).

In the original (protected) game, the "monster" waves its appendages
back and forth over the fellow's head as the game is loading.  Only
one crack that I know of still retains this feature.  I believe the
end screen you saw above was the real thing.

Thanks for your report!  Your new mission, should you choose to accept
it, is to determine whether there are any Artesians in Beer Run.  :-)
--

Information Technology                         Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 USA
Virtualcolor Division                          +1 847 357 9500 voice

Apple Panic - Found out what happens at the end of the game .....

Post by Rubywan » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Dwight Lee writes ...

> >3.  At the end of Level 48, the game exits and this
> >    message is displayed :

> >************************************************************
> >       START ADDRESS = $7000

> >         PROGRAMMED BY T.NAGAWA
> >                       S.BEPPU

> >       (OKYAMA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE)

> >*S
> >************************************************************

> >Which doesn't mention Broderbund at all.  Are these
> >the hackers of the game ?  Or are these the real
> >programmers ?

> I believe that these are the real programmers.  Broderbund licensed
> some games from Star Craft, including but not limited to, if I recall
> correctly, Galaxy Wars, Puck-Man, and Star Blazer, along with Apple
> Panic.

> >Also, the Apple ][ disk image I have :-

> >**  ApplePanic_ApplePanicJoystick_ApplePanicTitle.dsk

> >is a hacked version, so if anyone has a disk image of the original /
> >uncracked game let me know - it would be interesting to see if
> >it happens in the original game as well, or if, as I was expecting,
> >some kind of end game demo is displayed (like at the start -
> >when the monster jumps on the guy's head).

> In the original (protected) game, the "monster" waves its appendages
> back and forth over the fellow's head as the game is loading.  Only
> one crack that I know of still retains this feature.  I believe the
> end screen you saw above was the real thing.

> Thanks for your report!  Your new mission, should you choose to accept
> it, is to determine whether there are any Artesians in Beer Run.  :-)

     Drat! I was kind of hoping you'd assign him to discover if there is
a way to win Elite.

Rubywand

Apple Panic - Found out what happens at the end of the game .....

Post by Peter Koc » Sun, 06 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

Quote:> Dwight Lee writes ...
> > Thanks for your report!  Your new mission, should you choose to accept
> > it, is to determine whether there are any Artesians in Beer Run.  :-)

ROTFL!

>      Drat! I was kind of hoping you'd assign him to discover if there is
> a way to win Elite.

Sure!

Tschuess

Peter